Early Ruby's archery, leftover?

BigPig

Very Active Member
Are there early Ruby's archery tags always left over? For a Non Resident. I have friends who say yes, but if you look at the draw odds it is not 100%. What gives? How could there be leftover tags if people who want them are not getting them through the draw? Trying to determine if I should burn my couple points on something this year or try for a left over tag.

I'm not sure on the Rubys, but a couple of years ago I did not draw a tag in 17. There were quite a few leftovers from the resident pool. I drew my tag in the leftover draw. I'm pretty sure that non-residents only receive ten percent of the tags in the nonguide draw. Even though residents may have leftover tags. Seems to me, that nonresidents that want a tag should get them without having to reapply.

That's my guess on why there are leftover tags, but not 100% draw odds for nonres.

Don P

No it is not 100% even on the first draw. Many residents count on drawing this tag on the second draw and end up getting dissapointed when they don't get it. fatrooster.

That is what I thought fatrooster. I've just heard enough people say otherwise that it made me second guess.

So I guess banking my points and hoping for an archery tag in the leftover draw just ain't gonna happen?

Here is the way I understand it.
There are almost always resident archery tags leftover for 101-108 early. However there are never leftover non resident tags. In 2008 there were 319 resident applicants and 405 tags. Leaving 86 tags left
The Nonresident draw 155 applicants and 70 tags available. Leaving Zero tags left.
So now Fish and Game take the 86 Resident tags leftover and put them into the 2nd draw. The 2nd Draw is open to everyone both residents and non-residents. I am not sure if you burn your points in the second draw or not, but the odds of drawing a tag in the 2nd draw is much harder for the resident but should be about the same for the non-resident.

silverstatehunter is right, both residents and nonresidents are put into the second draw with the same chance at drawing a tag. It is a good unit but there are better units if you have several years worth of points. If you have only one or two points then you might consider using them on this hunt. And yes, you do burn your points on the second draw in Nevada. fatrooster.

So it sounds like you can get lucky and possibly still get one in the second draw, but you cant count on it. If I want to hunt for sure I guess I'm going to have to put in the first drawing and I am certainly going to lose my points. No way around that, right?

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom