Early vs late deer question

CWeeks

How much harder is the early rifle hunts on good units than the later hunt? Does the rut have that big of an effect on those last few days in the late hunt since it still ends early Nov.? Also, any thoughts on why success rates are pretty low on the Nov archery hunts? Thanks for any input.

CW-I've hunted NV twice out there, both late. Honestly with only that to go on I think the advantage of late is much more impt on the units with cover and timber. Open desert/sage/cheatgrass units-
the bucks get spotted from miles away in both hunts and at that point the biggest ones are dead meat. Ie. I'd rather have first crack at 'em in an open unit. Granted though, easier to spot 8 does and a buck than 2 or 3 bucks in Oct., I suppose.

Thanks Doug, So I assume you did experience some prerut activity during your late hunts even though the season only runs a few days into Nov?

in the unit groups I hunt/guide in usually see Pre-Rut activity beginning around the middle of Oct.,making the last few days of the early deer hunts,very good ... Good Luck, Bruce & SilverGrand

Here in the North Eastern part of the state it can be very tough on the early hunt Or we get 20'' of snow opening day making it great! But (key word 'But') most of the time it's hot, dry and that heat stays till the late hunt. TO ME it's very hit and miss due mostly to the weather to catch the rut start on either of these hunts. You'll get some pre rut but I don't think it would be what your looking for. And that brings us to the Late Archery hunts. Thats a rut tag. The rut is in full swing and your going to see lot's of bucks. But if your like me and would much rather pick your bow up when it's not 0 all day then it's not for you. Success rates are "lower" for a few reasons
1. it's freakin cold
2. you see more bucks so you tend to shop more
3. lets face it, it's still bow hunting and the does aint dumb!
4. did I say it was cold??
Now with all that said. If I had to choose a tag to burn points on, have the best chance of killing a good buck, I would pick the late rifle hunt. Less hunters, a bit cooler and i have a gun in my hands. But thats just what I've seen.

Elko, great info, be nice if you could get that kind of "tell it like it is" in a State of the Union speech. Being from Alabama, 0 degree archery hunting and camping doesn't sound too fun. I'm going into this years draw with 9pts, partners with 7 and 4(slackers). Mainly DIY hunter but not against looking into the outfitter draw if it puts me in a better big buck area. Got to hunt on the Az strip last year, so I'm a little spoiled now when it comes to where I'll use my points. Was building for an archery hunt, but with 9 pts, I'm just not sure if thats the best use. Thanks for any help deciding and I'll look up your site Bruce.

With nine points, being from a warm state and looking to hunt. Go with an early bow tag. It's warm, they're in velvet and you have twice as long to hunt. Put in for whatever you think the best unit is and go for it. Good luck getting anything straight from that guy!

The only reason I have 9pts is archery elk keeps putting off Nv deer, I should be chasing elk in Az unit 1 this year, got to go to Wy Sept 2013 with another partner with max points letting me ride his application and averaging pts. Good problems to have, probably just keep putting in for late rifle until I have a Sept free. If you could set aside two weeks for an archery deer hunt, when would you start your hunt? Really need to separate hunts a few weeks for work and family, but if first two weeks of deer season good, might put off archery elk to end of Sept. and make it work. Thanks again for the advise!

CW-my 2011 buck (either Nov. 1 or Nov. 2) was all over does and absolutely would not leave 1 of them. Otherwise he would still be alive, probably. this was out near Winnemucca. There's a post on it about a week or so after I tagged out. Can't remember if that was on the md forum or Nevada.

NV is a great place to hunt and there are some quality deer to be found, but it ain't the Strip. I would hunt the early archery season. Do your homework and you will have a chance at a good buck. I hope the three of you are applying separately because there aren't very many units where three non-residents have a chance to draw a tag together. NV limits the number of non-resident tags via a convoluted formula that takes a number of factors into consideration, but it comes out to about 15% on average. Tags issued in the guide draw count against the total pool. So if you have 20 tags on a hunt, three is the maximum allowed to non-residents and one goes in the guide draw, you are out.

Are the deer still in their summer pattern when muzz opens, or are they already getting more reclusive?

If you can catch them the first week, yes. Once there velvet hit's the trees, no. Most shed around the last week of AUG but there are a few who hold on till sept.

With the muzzy tag your still gona have a hard time finding a unit you want that 3 guys can draw putting in together.
I do like the muzzy season the best but you need to be there opening day to still catch them in that summer mode,75% of them will be out of velvet and seem to change there paterns a bit.

Looks like area 6 is about the only area we would have a chance of drawing at least a couple tags together for muzz., but looks like I'm not too far from having a good shot at 231(which is the unit I was originally hoping for) and a real good chance at 131-134 if we just decide to apply individually. I've got a friend of a friend that archery hunted 231 and had a great hunt, read alot about 6, but haven't heard much on 13, any thoughts on that area?

My dad had a PIW tag a few years back and we hunted 6 early and 221-223 late and saw deer on both but when hunting 22 we saw a HUGE difference the last 4 days of the late season without MUCH weather change so I feel the rut perked up as the does we're grouped up and we saw progressively bigger bucks nosing around the does. That said I think in a few more days to a week would have been out of this world so...

I think your odds of seeing the bigger bucks up later in the morning and out earlier in the evening go up in the late hunt on the same unit.

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

Hey Doug ... hunts went well,but shooting was "POOR".Left a couple of "DANDYS" on the Mtn. for this Fall

Clark,did You get My e-mail ??? Wanting to hunt with Your Partners/Slackers will leave only a few choices where enough tags are available and that means lots of hunters in the hills with You and Yours ??? Unit 13 is a Big Buck unit with little ink,just loking at the massive area of the unit group and its plain to see why a buck can get "BIG".Apply by yourself(9 b.p.) and hunt the Best areas in the Silver State this Fall.Good Luck on your choices ... Bruce & SilverGrand

Great info guys, thanks for your time, really helping me make the most of my future tag. If my wife new how much I've got invested in the tag I haven't even drew yet, I might just have to move there(alone).
Bruce, got the email and looking into it, may try to call next week, about to take my 9 year old hunting, last weekend for whitetails here. Also forwarded it to friend with 7 pts as he would likely be very interested. I'm still trying to recover from what that strip tag cost me, so I'm probably out of the running for an outfitter draw this year.

I am a junior and hunt august and october. I have killed my first and only buck so far just 3 days after the early season ended. This buck was a mature 3x4 that was 170 gross class. They know when all the people leave and he had does and this was october 22nd. He was all rutted up, his forehead was all sappy from rubbing and trashing trees. The area got hit hard but being persistent landed me a really decent buck. I love archery and the late hunt is my last resort. I love archery and see more deer and bigger bucks. I would say hunting the early or late seasons can be hit or miss. I would put in late first then early. Always see great bucks during august and all throughout october but they can be hit or miss based on the weather. Knowledge though is key. I mean KEY to success during the rifle hunts along with others.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom