Early Youth Elk Advice

SlimShedy

My son finally drew the early youth elk tag this year and we're trying to make the most of it. I live in northern UT. and spend alot of time on the north slope. I've killed several bulls up there but at the same time I know how hard it can be to hunt that country. I've searched the archives but most info is understandably sent in P.M's. I'm pretty sure we can find him a bull but theres no such thing as too much information. Any would be appreciated. Pictures or stories of past succeses would be awesome. Any others who drew the same tag...Can't wait to see you on the hill(Just not too close). Ha ha

Well my son drew one of the first youth elk tags. He got a pretty good bull for a kid that just turned 15 two weeks before the hunt.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/1805scan0001.jpg

We where lucky that a LE bull area was changed to a open bull area that year. It was the oak creek north area. We where in just after the archery guys. So the first gun hunters. He saw this bull and another bull the friday night before the hunt. We went in the next morning. We ended up jumping a big white 6 x 6 bull with some cows . But even with his tripod down he was to far out for a young hunter. While praticing shooting for the hunt he started pushing the gun before the shot. So I knew I needed to keep him within 200 yards. So I guess thats my advice for you keep him within his limits and have a fun hunt. Most of these youth hunts are not a sure thing. There are open bull units. But it is nice not having the pressure of alot of other hunters around.
Good luck and have a good hunt.
John

Thanks John. "A pretty good bull." That's an awesome bull. Congrats to your boy! It's never a sure thing but its always a good time. I can usually locate a few bulls that time of year. Hope it all comes together.

Not much advise, but wish you the best on your sons hunt. My 16 year old has also drawn and I will be out on the south slope area check things out.

Like said, nothing is for sure, but during the rut (hopefully) and with a rifle should make for a great hunt!!!

rmanwill...Good luck to you guys also. You may have a better shot on the south slope with a little bigger herd to chase around. Let's see the pictures when it's all said and done.

Thought I'd refresh the post and hopefully get a few more responses. Gotta be a few guys on here that hunt the north slope that would like to swap some info.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom