East Canyon Antlerless Elk - 12yr old son drew out - Any land owners here?

jcase16

My son drew out for Antlerless Elk in the East Canyon area! ?
https://dwrapps.utah.gov/huntboundary/hbstart?HN=EA1236

However, I didn't realize I had submitted my son for this hunt because I thought I only put in for areas that were primarily public land. For example, my other son drew out for Antlerless Elk in the Wasatch Mountains, West Timpanogos area. Hoping that's easier with it being public land: https://dwrapps.utah.gov/huntboundary/hbstart?HN=EA1114

I'm wondering if any of you own land, know someone who owns land, or knows where I could start to find someone who owns land so I could try and get permission for us to hunt on their property. This is my son's first hunt. He hasn't drawn out on anything else yet. He is only 12 so it's not like he's had a lot of opportunities lol. I would love to give him a positive hunting experience that will hopefully lock him in as "a hunter". My older son (15 yr old) has only drawn out once before but had a great deer hunt last year and is absolutely on board going forward. I would really appreciate any help you can offer to someone who has never needed to find a land owner before and has no idea what he is doing there lol... Thank you for anything you can offer.

There is plenty of public land that you can have opportunities at cow elk on this hunt. Are you from the salt lake valley area?

As an OLD MEMBER, I'm glad jcase jumped on and has hooked up with another NEW MEMBER. If I had good information on that hunt I would certainly be willing to help.
We all start somewhere in this process and I especially applaud anyone who is helping the younger generation have a good hunting experience. Kids opportunities to get out and hunt are so limited now days, I'm glad to help them in any way I can.
Best of luck to jcase16 and his boys.
Let us know how it goes.

Thank you! Yeah, I had no idea this site existed until someone pointed me here. I've had a few people point me to some public land areas that may work. Maybe we don't need to find a private land owner lol... That would be great. Do private land owners usually come to sites like this to find hunters?

Thank you! Yeah, I had no idea this site existed until someone pointed me here. I've had a few people point me to some public land areas that may work. Maybe we don't need to find a private land owner lol... That would be great. Do private land owners usually come to sites like this to find hunters?
If a landowner wants to lease, he usually goes with an outfitter. If you want to find private land, check county records for landowners and start calling. matt23 seems to think it's not needed so I'd cozy up to him for info. :)

@matt23 if you have any suggestions then I would love to hear them. Looks like I need to just map out all of the public land and see if we can find some good spots.

@matt23 if you have any suggestions then I would love to hear them. Looks like I need to just map out all of the public land and see if we can find some good spots.
jcase,
You are obviously new at MM so you probably don't know you can PM matt23 via the letter icon at the tope next to your name. That's a much better way to carry on your communications with him in private rather than on the open forum.

So we checked out several areas that people have recommended since the snow has been moving. I've seen deer and moose lol. Anyone seen any Elk in the East Canyon area?

Thanks for all your help guys. Never saw a single elk. Saw a 4X4 buck, a cow moose, a bull moose and a pair of wild turkeys lol... Maybe next year.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom