East Canyon General Muzzy Elk

Torq

Well, went out on the general muzzy elk last week and it was a bit of an adventure. Opening morning I shot a beautiful 6 point, I thought I hit him good. My cousin kept saying good shot he's going to lay down, you got him. Then he never laid down and just jogged off as if nothing bothered him. As I was watching him go/frantically trying to reload, I noticed the blood on him looked high. I tracked him as far as I could until the blood was all dried up. I think I saw him later in the day moving slowly with the herd unto other property. I will never forget that shot and moment though, I thought I had finally got my first 6 point bull. I was crushed to lose him. If anybody hunting east canyon got a nice bull with a hole above his shoulder I would love to see pictures of him.

Second day was just me and my dad. We hunted hard and hiked our butts off. Saw nothing. The property we are able to hunt their is small enough that you can hike it all in a day and see everything. There were no elk, and we were feeling pretty depressed. At the end of the second day my dad was pretty sold on not coming back out the next morning. I told him I was going to go and he caved and decided to come out with me.

Third day of the hunt, I spot a small bull and a cow. My dad was able to get on him and make the shot, downing this bull. We were both super jazzed and spent the rest of the day breaking him down and getting him off the mountain.

All said and done, I am extremely grateful for the time with my dad. He's slowing down a bit, but he' still a much better hunter than me. For me hunting has always been about the tradition. Going out with my dad every year has been time that I cherish, whether or not we are successful in the hunt.

Dad Elk.jpg
Truck Elk.jpg

Bummer you lost a nice bull. Hopefully someone else did finish him off. Congrats to your dad on his bull.

That muzzy Elk hunt can be tough for sure. It's a common mistake for guys to shoot Elk too high, or too far forward. You learn from it, and put the next one down in the crease, 1/3 of the way up.

Congrats to your Dad on a fine Bull!

Congrats to your Dad and you. Cherish the time spent and him and the memories made together. I hope you get many more hunts with your Dad!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom