Eastern Plains Archery Mule Deer

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
I have an upcoming hunt that starts on Nov 18th. I havent hunted the plains before. From all the research I have done the difficulty factor on this one is the wide open country with lots of doe eye-balls and the challenge of closing the distance with the archery gear. I do have my 10x's and my 20-60x spotter for glassing (phone skope )... I just recently picked up a heads up decoy mule deer buck which looks like it could come in handy up the right circumstances. Besides just getting a buck to position for a stalk, any other advice for this hunt?

Bring some "windshear" type clothing. She tends to blow a bit. The does will be in heat, find them, the bucks won't be far behind.

>Bring some "windshear" type clothing. She
>tends to blow a bit.
>The does will be in
>heat, find them, the bucks
>won't be far behind.

DW- thank you bud.

how many points did you need to draw?

I'm really interested in doing that hunt next year.

Smitty - depends on the unit, mine took 1-2 I believe.

Any Eastern Plains archery bucks hitting the dirt yet?

>Smitty - depends on the unit,
>mine took 1-2 I believe.
>
>
>Any Eastern Plains archery bucks hitting
>the dirt yet?

I'll be out looking this weekend. I'm just starting to see rut like activity in the area I"m hunting. Saw a forky with 2 does this morning at about 15yds. Way to early to wack him.

I talked to an outfitter the other day, he said that colorado did away with any walk in hunting access areas 3 years ago. Is that true or is he trying to discourage me from going solo? I'd love to hunt that with my bow. But it's a long drive just to find its all locked up private.

>I talked to an outfitter the
>other day, he said that
>colorado did away with any
>walk in hunting access areas
>3 years ago. Is that
>true or is he trying
>to discourage me from going
>solo? I'd love to hunt
>that with my bow. But
>it's a long drive just
>to find its all locked
>up private.

I think most outfitters are full of chit!
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/WalkInAccessProgram.aspx

Saw a small 4x4 tonight. Still to early.

The walk-in program foulshot posted is for small game and birds only. The Big Game Access Program(BGAP) was indeed killed a couple of years ago to save money (~$38,000). Since we are talking about deer hunting, I'm guessing the outfitter was too.

Well, I guess I'm the idiot! I wasn't aware they dropped the program. My apologies. Thanks Oak!

119520151122064214.jpg

753320151122064229.jpg

Here's a buck I saw this weekend tending does pretty hard. Most of what I've been seeing are young bucks but I'm starting to see more 4+year Olds with does.

Seen some nice deer. One really good buck... Got close a couple times but in the end of the impressive animal won the battle. Wide open country with a bow requires a little luck.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-15 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p]On the last night I pulled some decoy shenanigans which actually almost worked, just gotta figure out how to put the decoy down, range, draw aim and shoot with 10 deer looking at me!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom