eastmans, and swarovski

broadfork

I was wondering if anybody else noticed that Eastmans are being sponsored by Nikon now. I have a lot of Eastman videos and books, and o'l mike has been pushing swaro's for a long time. Just wondering if they had a falling out, or they really think Nikon has better glass.

It's got to be a marketing thing between the two.

Not knocking Nikon, but there's not much of a camparison between the big three glass makers and Nikon.
The ONLY glass i have seen compare that started out in the Nikon quality and price range is Vortex, their upper line is incredible!

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

Cost always plays a factor.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I am curious how they are going to do the next videos. Are they going to say nikon is the best now? I noticed the nikon catalog looked like cameron hanes was on it, I am not positive but that is what it looked like.

Rub some dirt on it, ya sissy!

Kind of off topic but it reminds me of when Jim Shockey stopped using his knight muzzleloader and started using thompson center. Can't stand the commercials where they talk about all the animals he's killed, then say the only rifle he uses is a thompson center when most of those animals were killed w/ his Knight.

Yeah, I noticed the switch to Nikon on the last t.v.show I saw. I'm sure it's a $$ thing.
------------------------------------------------------
"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

I'm currently using Leica binoculars and one of the Nikon 13-30x50 ED spotting scopes. I haven't looked through the Nikon EDG binos, but if they are as good as that spotting scope they have to be at least in the same ballpark as my Leica.

I am sure it is all sponsorship, but saying vortex is up there and nikon is not is laughable take a look at the nikon edg line not saying they are swarovski, but they are rated up there at the top sometimes above the big 3 by several top orinthology schools which are usually far better sources of optic performance than some guys opinion

I agree. The EDG line is pretty sweet and is right there with the big 3. If you don't believe me go take a look. If I was in need of optics I would seriously consider both the EDG binos and spotter. Vortex may compare to some of Nikons lower to mid-level lines, but not the EDG line. I'm sure the switch by the Eastman crew (and Cam Hanes for that matter) had something to do with a nice compensation package, but do you really think these guys are willing to sacrifice the quality of optics on their hunts for a few bucks - I don't think so!

Do you guys think that they are still useing their swaro's behind the camera. I had that discussion with a friend last night, and if it was me I would for sure use my swaro's. I'm not going to knock on Nikon, but I have yet to find glass that makes me want to switch.

I wonder if they will rewrite their books, or edit their videos

Reminds me of a Cheech & Chong movie: THINGS ARE TOUGH ALL OVER. I don't know the facts but my hunch would be that Swarovski like most others right now reduced their advertising budget and Eastman's had to go elsewhere.

Funny how flakey these guys are, when it comes right down to it it's all about who will pay the most. I heard that Swaro would not pay as much as Nikon so the Eastmans switched. Wow It's hard to go back to Nikon after using Swaro's

Crap, first I had to go from HS to Weatherby, now I gotta sell the Swaro and wby and get nikens and a salvage.wish they'd make up their mind, cuz I love doing it the Eastman way...

>Funny how flakey these guys are,
>when it comes right down
>to it it's all about
>who will pay the most.
>I heard that Swaro would
>not pay as much as
>Nikon so the Eastmans switched.
>Wow It's hard to go
>back to Nikon after using
>Swaro's

Koyote I don't believe it's anymore flaky than anyone leaving one job for another that pays better and who isn't guilty of that. Companies have to pay bills as well as individuals. Really though, does it matter in the overall scheme of things what products they shill. How many sheep really go buy something because your favorite TV show uses it.

So they switched and yes likely due to $'s. This is another good reason though to NOT be influenced by Eastman's are anybody else on products. Do the research and testing yourself then you won't have to switch because THEY did, whoever that is. Can't believe that anyone would buy something because Mike, Guy or Elmer Fudd says so.

if you have ever watched an eastmans show(i'm sure most of you have)advertisers arent exactly knocking down their door. i'm sure they are doing whatever it takes to make ends meet. havent looked thru the edg's but the monarchs are as good as it gets for poor mans glass. no swaros by far but for 300 cant go wrong

I agree with backpacker....the Shockey commercials get me everytime...."I will only shoot TC".....even though 90% of those animals were shot with a knight!

>if you have ever watched an
>eastmans show(i'm sure most of
>you have)advertisers arent exactly knocking
>down their door. i'm sure
>they are doing whatever it
>takes to make ends meet.

I use to like watching some of their older back in the day hunts. Seems Ironic with the above statement because todays Eastman's Hunting shows are 90% Eastman's commercials trying to sell you their magazines, books, or videos....then you actually get only about 5-10 minutes of actual hunting show!!!
I stopped watching and buying their video's because of this. If anything I may just watch the final 10 minutes of one of their hunting shows on tv because that is where all the actual action takes place.

Other than that I think they put out two great magazines and seems like i'm always waiting forever between issues.

But to keep on topic....I don't care what bino's they use for hunting as long as they do the job.

I have to agree with jazz on the subject and Im not saying you shouldn't go where the money is. It's just flakey how basicly there just flat out lying for the money. This is nothing like getting a better paying job. If you have to lie to make a living it's not for me or people with integrity and loyalty. I guess it's the nature of the buisness they are in, It's just not for me. I always thought they were Flakey before they switched to Nikon.

Koyote

When did anyone say there had to be truth in advertising, I have heard there is no truth in advertising, so I can only say I dont think Eastmans or Nikon have done nothing wrong, Nikon wants to sell product, Eastmans is a good advertising body and honestly who are they hurting by doing their jobs. Magic putty and sham wow work as good as seen on TV too, if you believe every thing you hear then I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell give me a call.

Windage and elevation pilgrim windage and elevation

If someone comes along and pays me more to do my same job, I'm going to take them up on their offer. You would to. Case closed.

That may or may not be true depending on other factors and how long you may have worked there. But let's say it is true some of the points here aren't about that. They are about that one day EHJ says that "x" is the best and then when the $'s change "y" becomes the best product. The money is easy to follow but at some point you have to stand behind what you promoted originally or do you just stand in front of the camera and say whatever works with the money. Quality of the product does change too so that is part of the equation.

My god you guys act like Eastman's is the first hunting show to ever push products. They have bills to pay just like the rest of us. Considering Swarovski was running discounts this year that leads me to believe sales were way down so they had to cut out some things. Should Eastman's just fold up because they lost the advertising money or find a way to replace the lost income?

I'm sure if you guys were laid off work you would diligently sit at home waiting on your old employer to call back. Cut them some slack they are just trying to get through this recession like the rest of us.

Lots of great realistic points here but it still dosen't say much for the poeple jumping ship to another. Thats just a normal thing these days, it's OK not to have any loyalty or trustworthiness because hell it's more money! Kinda like queers on TV it's a normal everyday thing now. No wonder why things are so screwed up!

koyote - What if they weren't jumping ship? Like I said in my previous example Swarovski could have been the one to end the relationship.

Loyalty to an employer is pretty much out the window these days. An employer, especially big companies, will cut the people that have worked with the company the longest first just because they are paid the most.

This is simply part of doing business.....ANY business.

If Ford gives a better fleet deal than Chrysler, then any business needing new vehicles, is going to have to decide if the change is PROFITABLE.

Personal choice is not necessarily the motivating factor here.

There can be no arguement that Nikon is a better product than Swaro......but, if I have to live on my personal choice, WITHOUT the ad money, that's not likely to happen.

I will keep my Swaros, but I am going to promote the product that I am hired to promote.

Now, for those of you who have built a special alter for Eastman, or whoever.....I can understand your concern about their sudden "human failings".

Sorry, it's just business.

I cannot imagine being employed in the outdoor industry these days.Talk about taking all the fun out of the wonderful endeavor that is hunting.Some reasons:

1)You are a slave to the camera and all that entails-dragging loads of extra people/equipment,can only take the shot at the perfect time for the camera,etc.etc.,etc.;

2)The places you hunt are chosen for business/animal availability reasons,not personal preference or family traditon,etc.;

3)All your actions are in a fishbowl for everyone to comment on;and

4)You must shill products based on who pays you rather than what you like.

Eastmans' started out trying to be above the fray and tell it like it is but quickly became shills at the alter of the almighty dollar just like all the others.If you buy a product these days based on advertising/who pitches it you get what you deserve.

Hunting is an intensely personal and private endeavor.When the cameras turn on what happens is no longer hunting IMO.It's just entertainment...

Lots of great realistic points here but it still dosen't say much for the poeple jumping ship to another. Thats just a normal thing these days, it's OK not to have any loyalty or trustworthiness because hell it's more money! Kinda like queers on TV it's a normal everyday thing now. No wonder why things are so screwed up!

Why do we have to have loyalty to products or brands. At one time I shot one brand of bow now I shoot another because I like the new technology in it. Is someone wrong because at one time they drove a dodge but now prefer a chevy because of new innovations? Most industry experts have put swarovski slc and el's down the line because they are great but they are 10 year old plus technologies and most rated the new leicas and zeiss and others superior because of these new improvements to the glass (this has of coursed changed with swarovskis new line to catch up)of course we are all entitlted to our opinions and what is good for one is not good for another. I have preffered many brands in my life but if another company came out with something better who cares use it if you like it more. While this is probably not the case with Eastmans and brand preference anyone who watches one of these shows or buys a magazine has to understand this is just one big television commercial and they will switch brands based on who is the current sponsor.

You or I don't need to have loyalty to a product, we can pick what we want as we are the consumer. We are not preaching to millions of people on Tv and then switching. And all Im saying is that is's a little Flakey not the end of the world.

Thanks, Im out!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom