eastmans' rankings

earlyriser

Hello,
I am sitting here thumbing through the latest eastmans. Comparing their opinions to those that are on this site. A question I have always wondered was how accurate do you think their ranking system is for elk? Example: Eastmans ranks unit 2 as a Blue Chip unit, meaning a great all around unit. Yet, I can do a search on this site and not a single post has been submitted inquiring about this unit. I would think that one of their Blue Chip units would have all sorts of chatter. Any thoughts?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-13 AT 03:44PM (MST)[p]I don't know how they come up with some of their stuff. I haven't been in unit 2, but I've read guys posts on other sites about it and comments were that the terrain is tough and you need to get permission to either hunt private property or to at least access public land through private lands to do well there. The last time I looked in the MRS section Eastmans had it as easily accessible and easy terrain. Go figure!

I talked to a guy about 2 last year. He got pvt land access after opening weekend and easy terrain. Seemed like a decent hunt.

Some of their info isn't to bad. But there is still a lot of units I haven't been in so I don't know how good the info is

I think their info is a good starting point, especially for guys hunting out of state, but in no way do I take it as gold. I think they tend to be a little generous with their ratings. They were spot on for my last mule deer hunt on terrian, but oversold the quality of bucks available. My moose hunt area from this year wasn't on their radar at all, but I consider it one of the best in the state for a DIYer.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-13 AT 07:32PM (MST)[p]Eastman's is definitely wrong on the amount of public land in unit 2 (they overstate it), and access is not "easy". Virtually all public land is landlocked. One landowner will usually grant access after a few days of the hunt have passed, he charges big $$ to hunt day 1 (guided I think). We drew in 2011 and paid a reasonable trespass fee on another ranch, had a great hunt, but it took some homework, and some extra money. You really need to call the landowners before you apply, there is no guarantee they will do the same thing next year.

here's a link a guy posted for 2012 hunt;

[http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...7&forum=DCForumID35&archive=yes#.Uq-3SrGA1D8]

Thanks guys. I really wasn't asking about unit 2 specifically. It was just an example. I'm hearing that I should take their ideas with a grain of salt and to do more homework into areas I'm interested in. I do have one question regarding 45. Elk hunting is supposedly pretty good. During archery are most of the elk in the wilderness? If so, as a NR I'd have to cross that unit off my list of options. Again, thanks for your thoughts and good luck on your hunts next year!

I think you can pretty much bet on them not putting themselves in for any unit they recommend.

A perfect example of how wrong these ratings could be was illustrated perfectly on a recent episode of Ridge Reaper where they are hunting Antelope in a well known central Wyoming unit that all the mags have pimped for years now. They had trouble finding a good antelope worthy of what a trophy hunter would put on the wall.

My first hand experience told me this was exactly what they should expect in this unit with too many tags and too much pressure.

The mags would tell you otherwise though.

I find a better strategy is calling local taxidermists, other hunters who have recently hunted the unit etc. The mags are just in the game to make money off the naive and the newbs.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom