EASTON AXIS VS VICTORY AP V3'S

JACOB2006

What is a better arrow, better flight and harder hitting? Has anyone tried them against one another.I'm between axis 340 black or the 300's.I know the 300's are only 8.1 grains per inch but would think the 40 grain outsert would be close to making up the dif.

I shoot the Axis 300's @ 28 1/4" and a 125 Grain tip (about 470gr altogether). they pack quit a punch! but i'm a guy who likes a lot of weight.

the VAP's are definitly samller in diameter but are too light for what i like to shoot. the 40 outsert combined with a 100 grain tip would put that arrow around 390 gr if it were the same length as my axis. IMP i think that much weight in the insert would give the arrow too much FOC.

if you want weight with a really thin arrow i would look at the new carbon injection by easton. they are a bit more but you get what you pay for.

The heavier arrow [Axis] will be harder hitting every time.

I've shot the Axis for years and they are tough to beat but might be looking for a change with the price of them lately.

Id like to hear some opinions on weights verse penetration. Just recently a buddy of mine has been playing around with different arrow set ups. I told him a while back about a few arrows including the arrows and inserts like the GT Velocity that BigPig has been playing around with. He has a friend that owns an archery shop which has allowed him access to making any set up he wants and so far, to my surprise this is what he has come down to.

All arrows shot out of the same bow at 27 inch draw. Side by side comparison the VAP 340 penetrated the deepest even against the heavier 340 FMJ which is what I shoot. He said the VAP went significantly deeper like, down to the fletch where FMJ?s were half the shaft length deep in the same target.

I do not remember the arrow weights but the VAP is a much lighter arrow. All were tipped with a 100 grain field point. He did say the GT velocity with an insert to bring his weight back up to his FMJ did have a touch deeper penetration but with his set up for him he felt there wasn?t much of a trade off as far a flight or accuracy and that it was quite a bit of work to get the desired outcome.

Id like to hear what anyone out there might have opinions on. Is a heavier arrow with less penetration better than a lighter arrow with a stiff spine, smaller diameter that's getting deeper penetration? Or is it that a target that sucks around the shaft ( which is my thoughts)and creates friction not a good indicator for penetration in real world hunting? That after hitting an animal with a broadhead it opens up the area big enough that arrow drag is not a factor? For now, I'm staying with my heavier FMJ?s as I believe I will get the most out of them.

GBA

"Or is it that a target that sucks around the shaft ( which is my thoughts)and creates friction not a good indicator for penetration in real world hunting?"

Bingo!

Thanks for the info. If you go to youtube victory ap's have a video showing them blow thru two pieces of plywood up to the fletching with other arrows only going in a few inches. This was were I started wondering if axis will do the same thing?(since they are cheaper with the same theory).

>I shoot the Axis 300's @
>28 1/4" and a 125
>Grain tip (about 470gr altogether).
>they pack quit a punch!
>but i'm a guy who
>likes a lot of weight.
>
>
>the VAP's are definitly samller in
>diameter but are too light
>for what i like to
>shoot. the 40 outsert
>combined with a 100 grain
>tip would put that arrow
>around 390 gr if it
>were the same length as
>my axis. IMP i think
>that much weight in the
>insert would give the arrow
>too much FOC.
>
>if you want weight with a
>really thin arrow i would
>look at the new carbon
>injection by easton. they are
>a bit more but you
>get what you pay for.
>

If you don't mind me asking, whats to much foc? What percent?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom