Eberlestock J107 vs J34

deepforks

so which of these two packs would you choose? pros? cons? if you have one or the other....or both, i'd like to hear your thoughts too.

thanks,

I have the larger J107, but have never used the J34. What I can say about mine is that it seems ultra-durable, capable of loading all your gear, with enough seperate compartments and configurations to fit multiple situations, and is quiet. On the negative side, I have packed a few heavy loads of meat now, including an entire boned whitetail, most of a very large boned muley, and most of a boned elk calf and while there is tons of room, the bag definetely "hangs" under the heavy load, and does not stay close to my back. The straps are great and are easily adjustable, but it seems to be in the frame. Clearly I may need to adjust the frame, but to date have not found what I consider a satisfactory fit.

I am sure you have been to their website, as they have a fairly clear comparison of the two models. They appear to be almost identical, with the J34 just about 20% smaller.

I have the J107 as well. Its very capable up to about 80 lbs but the more weight you put in it the worse it gets. This is obvious with any pack but there may be some out there that do better with a heavy load. However the pack is built strong enough to hold up with a lot of weight and would be hard to beat at the $299 on sale price point.

I also have the dragonfly, and I love it. The only pack I have found that is any better is a mystery ranch, for double the money tho. I think I will stick with the dragonfly.

LAST EDITED ON May-05-12 AT 11:16AM (MST)[p]I have the j34 with the super spike duffel and the zip in panel. It's ok. I like it better than the dragonfly. I have compared them side to side. If I were to do it again I'd just get a x1a1 or x2 to hunt out of then go back for the pack frame for meat. Just because there is room for meat does not mean it will carry it well. If I were you just save your money and get the mystery ranch. I am in Bozeman often and I stop by and try them on. Seriously, they are the bomb and as soon as I can I'm getting the crew cab and sending the eberle to eBay.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom