Eberlestock J107

Hardway

Very Active Member
Anybody know what I could compare this pack to in its most compact form. I'm looking for something that is about the size of a badlands superday for my daypack but want the versatility of the J107. I had a Eberlestock barta stalker and it just did'nt feel right on my back, not that it did'nt fit or was'nt adjusted properly it was just a little too bulky and wide for what I'm looking for in a day pack. I love my badlands supperday
and I've tryed and like their 4500 but it's too big for a day pack also.I need a pack I can get my spike camp in and also have a light wieght streamlined day pack as well for day hunting once I've set up camp.

If huntin is a sport.....Well your lookin at an athlete!

Have you tried the j107? It's a great pack, and the fit and design is all new. I'd buy the 107, it's a great pack!

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

Ya, I've been looking at the j107. The only thing I dont like is the 8.3lbs empty wieght. Man....I love the design, I just dont think eberlestock is very wieght concious. I'd rather buy a new pack evry few years than haul around some sled that will last 20yrs. Hell the way they change the designs just about evrybody buy's a new one before the old one's wear out anyways. I'd like to see a just-one design that was about 4lbs and 2000ci in its smallest setting. I dont wanna haul around an extra 5 lbs in my day-pack. Since I'm only hunting deer close to my spike camp, and only packing in 5-10 miles for at the most 3-4 days, All I need is about 3000-4000 ci max and about 2000 ci max at 4 lbs empty. I know, will any of us ever be happy.....LOL

Have you looked at the Jim Horn Canadian or Alaskan? I have the canadian and it is great. it may be slightly small for what you want, but the alaskan is bigger and would probably work. they are made by blacks creek.

Have you looked at the "Gunslinger" from Eberlestock? It sounds like it could be what you are looking for. It is smaller and lighter than the J107. I have used one for 3 years now and really like it alot.

Ya but I dont think the Gunslinger expands like the j107's and 104's do. I noticed the top pack on the 107 comes off.....I wonder how much wieght thats worth???? The eberlestock website says without the top/fanny pack its about 2100ci which sounds good, if that would get it down to about 6lbs or so I might be onto something. Does anybody have one that can comment???

I'd look at the mystery ranch pack with the crew cab. All the same versatility as far as size goes but becomes much more compact for the day hikes out of camp. As far as empty weight goes it isn't much better though.

Ya I know, Those Mystery Ranch packs are pretty nice but I was'nt planning on re-financing my house for a couple years...LOL J/K, someday I will have one but for now I'll have to wait, besides I think they are kinda over-kill for a 2-3 day hunt.

i dont use the fanny pack on the 107. It's there, it could be useful, but it, to me, defeats the purpose of having a daypack/freighter in one. . .

the top/fanny pack on the 107 does come off, I dont know it's weight, but for it's size it's weighty, that's why I took it off. . .

Just go buy the 107! Those other packs are for hikers, the j107 is for explorers!

I also don't use the top fanny pack as well. I weighed the fanny pack portion once and it seems to be 1lb and 4oz.

Ed

4766c6870c213e5e.jpg

www.trophyhuntoutfitters.com

I'm not sure what you could compare it to, but I do know this I love that pack and would buy another one with out giving it a second thought.

Good luck

Slide

When looking for a hunting pack don't be afraid to look outside the pure hunting models to the recreational backpacking models.

I bought a new Kelty Light series internal frame this year that is 5200 cubic inches and only weighs 4 LBS. It performed great on a high country Wyo deer hunt. No it was not camo but the rust orange color was adequate for hunting. Price $160.

Timberbuck is right, go to your local Granola outfitter store, you know the climber stores and take a look at their stuff. My ol man has been looking at these types of packs for a long time and they offer a lot of pack for less or the same money.

Slide

I researched this pack for a long time and settled for the J104. It is 6.8 lbs instead of 8.5 and has basically the same functionality. The J107 does have an adjustable suspension system, but if the J104 fits, then that is probably a better option. This year I took the J104 on a caribou hunt and hauled the better part of 8 caribou back to camp. we hauled several of these back 5 or more miles. I loaded an entire boned out spike elk about a mile back to my truck and on another trip a half a cow elk about 4 miles on an archery hunt. The pack is awesome. I think its about $100 bucks less than the J107 as well. I don't see the usefulness of the detachable fanny back and the buckes and extra fabric add the extra weight. The shoulder straps on the J104 also have a lot more padding. Just my $.02.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom