Eclipse Question #2

huntswnm

From reading in other forums, I have found that the Eclipse is a open breech design. I am having trouble understanding this. From what I can gather once the gun is loaded and the firing mechanism pulled back and the 209 in place, the "hammer" has to be left in the open position with only the safety working as primary safety. Can I not let the "hammer" down onto the 209 and pull back when ready to fire?
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-06 AT 10:36PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-06 AT 10:30?PM (MST)

Some MLs emit more ignition blowback than others. As a result, a buildup occurs around the Eclipse's bolt/plunger-action - even contaminating the slide area. The action may now stick occasionally -- even when you think the ML is clean - but it's really not.

There are times we are rushed when cleaning our ML and don't do a thorough job cleaning it. Or we keep missing that one tough spot to clean -- you know --- the far back corner of that bolt-action that cannot be reached unless we disassemble the bolt-action. Well... some folks either don't want to disassemble the bolt-action due to being lazy -- others don't know how to dissassemble that bolt-action -- then there's others who think there's no crud there because they can't see any with the naked eye or flashlight.

Here's a For instance of what you desire:

You are in the woods thinking the action is closed & slotted against the 209 primer. (which is a bad/dangerous idea anyways.) Well now it's possible that the blowback crud didn't close the action all the way shut & while you were about to sit down in your hunting seat, the action got unstuck from the crud -- the action moved slightly forward -- the ML fired & shot off your big toe one mile away from your transportation vehicle.

That's why that safety feature is there to keep that action open. The only thing better than that safety feature is having another secondary safety feature -- so that you are doublely protected.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

Hey man, thanks for helping me so much on this rifle. I went out and shot it yesterday, after closely inspecting the breech plug, and realized why you wouldn't shut the action down. There is no secondary safety so basically the firing pin would always be resting on or close to the primer, not good! I think we just are not going to cap the gun until we are set up for a shot. I don't like the idea of the action open with a primer in place with just the trigger safety on. I just don't trust em all the time.
Again, thanks for your ideas and suggestions.
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom