Eggs!!

sageadvice

Long Time Member
A staple and delicious part of every American Breakfest.

I'm a bachelor that enjoys grocery shopping and cooking my own meals. I'm pretty price conscious and rarely buy over $50-60. worth at a time but usually, there will be at least one dozen eggs in the cart, maybe a 18 pack.

A few trips to the store ago, i noticed that above the on sale volume seller medium AA eggs that i normally buy for $1.99/doz, they had on the top shelf, a couple dozen boxes of Jumbo Grade A eggs for $2.19/doz. The jury is in boys!! The Jumbos is far and away the better deal not to mention the quality of cooked product is so much superior for what, a few penney's a meal.

Does any other Monster Muley members out there like Eggs? How do you like yours?? Big, med, small, over easy, sunny, in a cake...or something all together different? :)

Joey

AZStickman, No yolk mon, it's cereal. :) I live in a very small mountain town and it's a long ways to another grocery store. Food costs can get outta hand if you're not a shopper!

N_C Nice eggs!! Over easy always works for me too!

Joey

sorry girls...but those are "sunny side up"....

I got 8 hens...and more eggs than I can stand.

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I eat scrambled eggs 4 times a week. I do 6 eggs with only 2 or 3 yolks. Love it. Sometimes mix a few pieces of turkey bacon in with it.

Bayside, Thanks! that's more of what i was looking for. Hmmm, eggs without yolks...and turkey bacon? lol

I can handle turkey hot dogs but my bacon has to be 100% pork. :)

Eggs Benedict anyone?

Joey

Omelets man!! ;) With just about ANYTHING good in them!

Whipped a couple of them up this morning for the kids!! Mixed some diced green onions with some plain cream cheese & fresh ground pepper. Put that mixture inside of a well cooked omlette and you'll know you're living right!! Add some sliced-up bacon to it and it's even better (just didn't have any this morning...)YUM!

S.

:)

besides deviled eggs and raw eggs ,is there a bad way to eat eggs?

i love a over easy egg with a piece of bacon or ham to dunk in the yolk. mmm cant beat it!

I usually eat one meal a week (Sunday morning) with eggs. Soft boiled. Monday through Friday work starts at 5:30 so I skip breakfast. Saturdays are for French Toast (dipped in egg batter, so I guess that counts to a degree).

The rancher whos property I hunt geese on raises chickens. Every time I stop at the ranch house an 18 pack ends up in my truck. I try to politely decline, but his wife won't hear of it. I always take some to work so they never go to waste. And those home grown eggs are far superior to store bought.

Eel

I have 5 chickens, I'm ready to start throwing those dang eggs away.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Good posts guys!!!

Anybody else here have their Grandma make them Custard on the wood stove? Mine did for me when we had too many eggs. I grew up in a everyday Easter egg hunt situation. The Chickens tried to hide their laying spots but i'd search them out if i could, my reward being that custard. With nutmeg on a cool day, it ranked right up there with wild mushroom sandwiches on buttered homemade bread toast, both were, THE BEST!!! :)

Joey

I heard somewhere they are good to keep in the glove box in case of a radiator leak. I had a chile verde omelet at the cafe today and now everyone in the house is paying for it. }> }> }> }>

I do love the incredible edible egg. Pickled eggs are also yummy. Especially the small pickled quail eggs.

One of the best though most people will never try is the '100 year egg.'
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Oh geez. Do they pay more after the pickled eggs?

The old rancher I see every pheasant opener buys the big gallon jugs of pickled wieners. Eats all the weiners and then adds hard boiled eggs to the leftover 'well seasoned' juice. Wash those down with a few pbr's and you got trouble.

I need chickens because I eat a carton of 18 a week..easy. Cant do the pickled thing though.

What is a 100 year egg?

Ram-t said, "What is a 100 year egg?"

Yeah, what is a 100 year egg 1911?

Ram, 18 pack is about right! You really ought to try the jumbo's though, You don't need to eat so many. :)
Kinda like the old Yogi Berra joke, ?You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six.?

Quick and Gooood!
Dice up 3-4 pieces of bacon...in the pan with it.
Throw in some frozen crinkled cut potatoes.
Add a little diced onion
Cook well, use your spatula to bust up potatoes to smaller bits.
Crack out 3-4 eggs on top of mixture and stir a bit and season
Turn the mess over and add a handful of grated cheese. Turn over again, let cheese melt and cook to a golden brown, turn again and you're done. 10 minutes max start to finish!! :)

Joey

Hard boiled, and while they're still hot I take them out of the shell and mash them with a fork then add butter, salt, and pepper. My mom used to make them this way for us when I was a kid. I still like them and so do my kids.

Oh I almost forgot the other "best" way I like eggs. On Sunday evenings my wife will whip up a batch of eggs and make German pancakes. (I guess that's what they're called) I like them with strawberry jam and powdered sugar on them. My kids like homemade maple syrup on theirs. We go through two dozen eggs just to do these for one meal. There's 8 of us in this house though, so the food bill is hefty.

DeerBeDead

DeerBeDead

LAST EDITED ON May-06-10 AT 09:53PM (MST)[p]Would you like to have a 1000 year old egg for breakfast today? The egg as such is very different in appearance from the normal egg. From the outside it may look the same but from the inside it is definitely different from the egg you have poached or in any other form for your breakfast.

The 1000 year old egg is a delicacy in Chinese cuisine Chinese cuisine. Although known as the 1000 year old egg it actually just about 100 days100 days old or approximately 3 to 4 months old. Known as the century egg, the hundred year egg hundred year egg or the preserved egg, the 1000 year old egg is one that is made with careful preparation. The eggs used for the process is mainly duck eggs, quail or chicken eggs chicken eggs. It is prepared specially by preserving the eggs in a mixture of rice straw, salt, lime and clay.

Egg covered in the mixture

This is a manual process wherein the eggs are coated individually by hand with the mixture and then rolled on rice straw and stored in airtight airtight jars. Burying the eggs in the ground is also a practice followed by many. In 3 months time, the covering of the egg hardens, indicating that it is time to be served at the table. The whole process occurs due to the alkaline material which raises the pH.

With this process of preservation comes the change in the egg internally. The yellow as you know it changes to a dark green color and the white is no longer white but a dark brown jelly like jelly like substance. The century eggs may be served as it is or with pickled ginger pickled ginger root. A popular delicacy is the 1000 year old egg served with tofu. Every cuisine has some specialties like this very different from the other. Is there a dish with a difference in your cuisine?

7632century_egg.jpeg

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

1911, OK!! i'll bet it looks better than it smells! lol

Those egg hunting days that i spoke of above netted me a high degree of uncertainty and caution of nests with more than 10 eggs in it. We always cracked our ranch eggs one at a time into a small bowl before adding it to the big bowl or frying pan.

That's some good advice if you don't already know!

Joey

The Chicken or the Egg ?

A chicken and an egg are laying in bed. The chicken is stretched back smoking a cigarette with a very satisfied smile across his face. The egg is frowning and looking extremely frustrated.

The egg says, "Guess we answered that question."

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Eggs are one of my favorite. Did 2 this morn and boiled 4 for snacks. I like em raw in a glass of milk. One of my favorite is poach them in milk and place on toast.
Don't have much use for farm run bug eating chicken eggs.
Vegetarian Chicken's eggs are better.

One day hunting I stopped by this farmer?s house to ask for permission to hunt. He said sure asked if we could drive out in my truck and he would show me where I could hunt. We went out and came back to his house we were sitting there shooting the breeze in the pickup. My hunting dogs were in the back of the truck. Well here came his prize chickens wandering along pecking bugs. Now my dogs are well trained to never jump out of the truck. Well this chicken walks right up to the truck. And that damn dog was like a F-16 on a bombing run. He bailed out of the truck landed on that chicken. I am sweating blood. I am thinking this old farmer is going to #####. I jump out of the truck the dog has the chicken pinned down just holding it. I grab the dog and the chicken runs off squawking like he had a broken wing. No damage to chicken. Now I have to face the Farmer. The farmer looks at me and said "Now if that isn't the damndest dumb chicken I ever did see"" We laughed and I went hunting.

Rutnbuck

OMFG!!!! My nuked post was by far worthy of staying on here...:-( Damn you and your new powers rug!!

GO KOBE GO!!

~Z~

>OMFG!!!! My nuked post was by
>far worthy of staying on
>here...:-( Damn you and your
>new powers rug!!
>
>GO KOBE GO!!
>
>~Z~

Not me bud I am powerless here !!! lol

Have any of you ever eaten balut? It's an asian delicacy. IT's a duck egg that is fertilized, and aged to 17-24 days. Then hardboiled and eaten. I eat them quite a bit and love them. They taste fine, just if you can get over seeing a tiny baby duck when you eat it.

Oh man...some repugnant sheet on this post. I thought eating head cheese, blood sausage and nuts was bad. That is nothing compared to an old @$$ egg and a baby boiled duck.

That reminds me...blood sausage is good with eggs.

+1 for the balut. Like bayside said you can't look at it, just crack the egg open enough for the chick to come out and eat it. The first one I ate I looked at it and it was almost impossible to eat, the others I didn't look at and they weren't to bad.

The eggs that I like the best are any type, fried, scrambled, omelette with a bunch of fresh homemade salsa.

Yeah, when people ask what it tastes like I tell them that it tastes like a hardboiled egg in chicken broth. I had one that was a little too developed and the claws and beak were a little bit hard. Kind of had the consistency of like a fingernail or something.

eggs are good any way I could get them (double yolks are best). just don't eat them as much as I used to...was like 2-4 a day! now maybe 6 a month! I am banned from eattng pickeled eggs at hunting camp because my farts would knock over a plow cow! (oh the pain!)
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I aint eating nothing that don't look good....nothing..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-10 AT 11:46AM (MST)[p]Reminds be of balut. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)

File:15DayBalutEgg.png

>LAST EDITED ON May-06-10
>AT 09:53?PM (MST)

>
>Would you like to have a
>1000 year old egg for
>breakfast today? The egg as
>such is very different in
>appearance from the normal egg.
>From the outside it may
>look the same but from
>the inside it is definitely
>different from the egg you
>have poached or in
>any other form for your
>breakfast.
>
>The 1000 year old egg is
>a delicacy in Chinese cuisine
>Chinese cuisine. Although known as
>the 1000 year old egg
>it actually just about 100
>days100 days old or approximately
>3 to 4 months old.
>Known as the century egg,
>the hundred year egg hundred
>year egg or the preserved
>egg, the 1000 year old
>egg is one that is
>made with careful preparation. The
>eggs used for the process
>is mainly duck eggs, quail
>or chicken eggs chicken eggs.
>It is prepared specially by
>preserving the eggs in a
>mixture of rice straw, salt,
>lime and clay.
>
>
>
>Egg covered in the mixture
>
>This is a manual process wherein
>the eggs are coated individually
>by hand with the mixture
>and then rolled on rice
>straw and stored in airtight
>airtight jars. Burying the
>eggs in the ground is
>also a practice followed by
>many. In 3 months time,
>the covering of the egg
>hardens, indicating that it is
>time to be served at
>the table. The whole process
>occurs due to the alkaline
>material which raises the pH.
>
>
>
>With this process of preservation comes
>the change in the egg
>internally. The yellow as you
>know it changes to a
>dark green color and the
>white is no longer white
>but a dark brown jelly
>like jelly like substance. The
>century eggs may be served
>as it is or with
>pickled ginger pickled ginger root.
>A popular delicacy is the
>1000 year old egg served
>with tofu. Every cuisine has
>some specialties like this very
>different from the other. Is
>there a dish with a
>difference in your cuisine?
>
>
7632century_egg.jpeg

>
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Hard fried egg sandwiches!
Bread, mayo, egg with a little salt and pepper.

Soft boiled eggs are probably my favorite, but I cannot think of any cooked egg that isn't good!

If you want to try something that's really good and easy to fix, try Hangtown Oysters. I used to eat them with my dad on weekends when he was alive. I may have to revive the tradition. We get fresh oysters here from Humboldt Bay.

Hangtown Oysters

6 small to medium oysters
flour
4 Tbsp. butter
6 eggs, well beaten
3 Tbsp. cream
1/2 tsp. salt
crisp cooked bacon

Dust oysters in flour and fry until golden in melted
butter in medium frying pan. Blend together eggs, cream and
salt; pour over oysters. Reduce heat to low and cover. Serve
when eggs are set. Top with crisp cooked bacon. Makes 2 to 3
servings.
According to gold rush history, this dish originated
when a miner ordering the most expensive and finest meal at the
Cary House in Hangtown was served oysters and eggs. Today,
Hangtown Fry is a San Francisco specialty.

Eel

Eel, Yummy!! That sounds really good, really good!!!

+1 for the fried egg sandwiches too.

I also like a couple chopped hard boiled eggs mixed in with tuna, make another great sandwich!!

Joey

HAY Sage eat this....
6860balut.jpg

it's called Balut! I won a bet and puked all over the parking lot at work after I got it down. its a filipino thing.
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I'm calling BS bigtime, on anyone who says they ate a balut and actually enjoyed it!

I spent a couple of years in the Phillipines and I have seen, smelled and watched people eat them and just the smell will take paint off a wall.

They cost more if they are more than a year old.

Supposed to make your lower unit rigid.....just call me Limpy!

Good post, reminds me of years ago we had a large group of family and friends that met every year for the deer season opener by Susanville in what is now X5A. One of the guys made great spicy/hot pickled eggs and he would bring 6 or 8 dozen to camp every year along with pickled veggies (cauliflower, carrots, onions,etc). Another guy would bring a huge pot chili he made with kidney beans.

As one can imagine between the pickled eggs, veggies, chili, and lots of beer the end result was "THUNDEROUS".

My favorite breakfast is fried eggs, linguica sausage, fried potatoes with onions & peppers and biscuits. Make that for dinner sometimes also. Eggs are good no matter how you cook them.

Rackmaster, That is disgusting! But then you know that...lol

Nickman, +1

70_guy, Linguica? Love the stuff!! Haven't been able to find good linguica in years though. My Grandmother kept a good supply at all times and we had it whenever we wanted...pretty much every day.

It's Sat am and nothing is booked so i'll be watching the Giants game that starts in a few minutes. I'm headed to the kitchen right now to make up a nice Breakfast of Antelope steak, hash Browns, 3 Jumbo eggs over easy, and whole wheat toast. Those of you that do your own shopping really ought to try the Jumbo's. After years of run of the mill size eggs, these Jumbo's are a treat!!

Joey

I remember the good old days here at MM when we posted pics of half naked women...Now the only pics of chicks on here are those of foul variety and half grown and eaten...

As far as a Balut helping with the ying in my yang...No thanks the wind still works fine for me.. :)

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

I've been married to my high school sweetheart for 42 years and one of the reasons is that she will only buy jumbo eggs. Unless, of course, we are completely out and the store is out of jumbos!

Eel....Hangtown fries originated in "Old Hangtown", Placerville ,CA.

Also, you always have to add onions to your fried potatos, an onion per potato, and then mix with an easy over egg or 2.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Quote from Rackman:

it's called Balut! I won a bet and puked all over the parking lot at work after I got it down. its a filipino thing.

For your information it is called Balut in the Philippine's but they are also in Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia and maybe a few other Asian Countries too. First time I was offered one was in 1965 in a "pleasure Palace" by one of the local girls. When I seen the baby chick inside that shell and was starting to form its feathers, looked more like fuzz, told he to get it out of my sight....too damn gross for me. Needless I left not long after that and got a Taxi and back to base.

In Thailand one of their delicacies is "live Monkey Brains" but also illegal, so done in remote areas and very expensive to partake in there.

xvvgp.jpg

I will admit to having deer brains mixed with scrambled eggs.....once. I was alot younger and...well I'll leave it at that.

"Haggis is a dish containing sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally simmered in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours. "

Yuck!! :)

Joey

I like to put 3-4 whole hard boiled inside a meatloaf
length wise. Each slice of the loaf will have a slice of egg.
learned this from a friend.

I like to soft boil a few eggs then peel them and put them in some speggetti sauce and simmer for 30 minutes or so...Serve the eggs and sauce over speggetti...Good stuff

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Can't remember what this drink is called but its friggen delicious.
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk.
1/4 cup non dairy creamer.
3 eggs.
1 drop vanilla extract.
1 1/2 tablespoons chocolate syrup.
1 cup whiskey.
refridgerate and serve.

>Can't remember what this drink is
>called but its friggen delicious.
>
>14 ounces sweetened condensed milk.
>1/4 cup non dairy creamer.
>3 eggs.
>1 drop vanilla extract.
>1 1/2 tablespoons chocolate syrup.
>1 cup whiskey.
>refridgerate and serve.

Add coffee granuals and sub the whiskey for Brandy and you Have Irish Cream...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom