Electric Fence to protect camp RV

elks96

Long Time Member
Hey I am battling a few curious cows and as a result I am wanting to create a temporary barrier around my RV on the BLM.

I have looked and find several chargers like this one. That should do an ok job, but all lost the number of miles they can run etc. I only need an area 10 yards by 20 yards protected.

The biggest question I have right now is grounding rod. The ones at Tractor supply are $30 each and the direction for the charges all say 3 6 foot deep grounds.

Is that really necessary? Since I am doing such a small are can I get away with a 2 foot rebar? Or maybe a bunch of those big mail together? Lots of places where I can see being able to sink a grounding rod 6’ let alone 3.

And I don’t want to leave money in the grind when I leave…

Just get the rod as deep as you can, 3 feet would be better. If you can’t drive them over 2’ deep, just use 2 ground rods 5 feet apart.

If you're concerned about your ground, pour a bottle of water down the rod to soak the dirt and improve the conductivity. I routinely fence quarters (2 miles of fence) of irrigated cornstalks with a 12 volt fencer and use only a single 7/16 rod fence post for my ground. Not ideal, but works to keep cows in. My high tensile permanent fence with an expensive 110 fencer get the 3 - 6' ground rod setup. Grounding does make a difference, but I'd say don't sweat it on a temporary basis.

If you're concerned about your ground, pour a bottle of water down the rod to soak the dirt and improve the conductivity. I routinely fence quarters (2 miles of fence) of irrigated cornstalks with a 12 volt fencer and use only a single 7/16 rod fence post for my ground. Not ideal, but works to keep cows in. My high tensile permanent fence with an expensive 110 fencer get the 3 - 6' ground rod setup. Grounding does make a difference, but I'd say don't sweat it on a temporary basis.
Thanks that is great info. It will make it easier to set up take down etc…

Not sure how large of area around your camper you are planning on doing, nor which which fence options you are looking at.

But I can imagine where you could not find a place to drive rebar 3 feet or more. Regardless of that. If you can get 2-3 feet of penetration on your rebar grounding rod you should be fine.

You can use a piece of rebar,or if you buy a copper one they are cheaper I found at home depot or probably another home improve ment store and like said soak some water in. Put a few little flags on it.

Like to know how this works out. Have had the same problem in the past. Need the area large enough to encompass camp and vehicles. Don’t like cows with crap all over them rubbing against my truck, trailer, tents, etc.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom