Electricians!!! How'd I do?

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
Just bought my first home, so I wanna make sure I don't blow it up!
The bedrooms aren't wired for ceiling fans/lights, and the only switch controls an outlet. Sooooo....

I put in another switch, ran a new line up through the wall to the fan, and installed the fan.

Here's how I did it. Everything works, but I just want to make sure I didn't do anything stupid. I labeled "New" for all the new line/switch I put in. Everything with the outlet switch (left side) was untouched in the process.

[
FanSwitchNew.jpg]

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Sweet....

LESGO, so if I did something wrong, i'd know it already? I had the fan/light on most of the afternoon, and all was good....

On your switched receptacle you have two hot wires going to it. Thats ok if you have half of your receptacle always hot and the other half is controlled by the switch. There was an easier way to do it but you did fine. Thanks for the trivia. I say trivia because I'm at work and I had my electrical apprentice look at it to see if he would pick that out and he did. Good job. fatrooster.

no f'ing clue dude! that looks like a computer programmers flow chart than an electrical schematic. nexr time google orcad student version and download it for free. anything low frequency like that will be plowed through for free on the student version and its easy to use.

just curious though.... do electricians draw up junk like that and understand it? i used to be in electrical engineering and had fits when i hired an electrician for my house. he drew lines on my blueprints whereas i was worried about power return lines, impedance from too much wire etc..... im pretty sure i was the dumb one though and that those two fields are worlds apart

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

fatrooster
That's correct. Pretty much all the rooms in the house are wired like that. They all have a switch controlling one half of an outlet, and the other half of the outlet is hot all the time. Thanks! Glad I did alright!

stinky
Thanks for the download advice. I'll give it a shot. I'm visual with stuff like this, so I gotta draw it out to make sense of it.

BG, looks like you did fine with the wiring but how did you brace the actual fan? Please don't tell me you just bought one of those round blue boxes from Home Depot!

Piper, how's your period?

Zigga, don't forget the knee pads!

440Sixpack wants to measure your boners!

ha, nah CA, I braced it pretty good. Up in the attic, I screwed in a 2x4 crossbrace in between the ceiling joists to cover up the box hole I cut. Then screwed the METAL box up through the ceiling into the 2x4.

Thanks for checking though! ha!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom