Elephant Butte White Bass

Looserowel505

Just wondering if anyone has info on the white bass fishing at the Butte? Ive heard its a blast especially for kids and new people being introduced to fishing..My boat is only 14 foot so I understand its way too small for that lake as the winds can get dangerous but what about bank fishing. Is there any bait/lure thats pretty sure fire....Yup Im being that guy who asks but not asking for the "honey hole" ...My little is 8 and loves to fish as well my son in law who is very new to fishing but really enjoys it...Plan on taking a ride to the Butte in April/May to see if we can join in on that white bass fest Ive heard about>>>>....

It is possible to fish from the bank, but it will be more difficult. White bass tend to move around a lot. You might try the Rock Canyon and Long Point area. Standard lures would be any sort of white jigs or smaller white lures; sassy shads, road runners, crappie jigs, smaller model A Bombers.

Thank you JRABQ....I read somewhere the Marina there rents night time spaces with lights too so Im gonna look into that, maybe go spend a night or two and try that night time fishing...Need to just do it instead of wondering and wishing...

We take our boat out all the time. it is a 16 foot bayliner. i see small aluminum boats out there as well. just have to be mindful of the weather, which you should be doing anyways. find them when they are in a frenzy and you will habe an ABSOLUTE BLAST.

*We are all in the same boat, just
wishing to be hunting right now!*

Grew up fishing this lake. During the day find the birds and other boats trolling and you should catch some whites. Long point point can be good, theres the east bank that's shallow S of kettle top, just across from marina del sur the rocky bank into dirt dam can be good. We usually catch larger whites just off the banks near campsite.
But the best is night fishing, off your boat. Unload at rock canyon and tie off near or on the floating tires breaking the wake at rock canyon marina. Set up your lights shining into the water and use live minnows. Kids will love it.
Fyi during the day trolling use chartreuse and white sassy chad and you'll do fine. Good luck post up some pics.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom