Elk 49

muzzhunter

Just wondering how the other hunters have done in 49 this year. I blew 7 nr points on it for muzzleloader this year and ate tag soup. I was hoping to hang my tag on a decent 5 or 6 point bull but no luck. I hunted all but 2 days of the hunt. Didn't really get into many elk until the last 2 days, but couldn't seal the deal. I'm really dissapointed, We only saw about 1 or 2 bulls a day. Was really hoping to score my first bull. Hoping others had better luck and we were just not in the right areas. Post pics if you got 'em.
Dave

Didn't hunt 49 but am kicking it around for the future. As for seeing 1 or 2 bulls a day - I would be happy with that. I am assuming you heard a lot more than you saw?

I hunted the archery season this year and the hot weather made it tough. Most of the hunters I saw were up high above timberline looking for elk. I backpacked into a nasty canyon a little lower in elevation and found elk everywhere in there. I really think the hot weather was keeping them in the dark timber. With it being such a wet summer there was plenty of feed for them in the trees and had no need to go to timberline. I didn't tag out but I passed on several 5 points and 3 six point bulls in the 280 range trying to kill a 330 type bull that I was seeing alot. I have never in my life heard so many bugles as I did in that one canyon. All the other hunters I talked to said that they saw very few elk and only heard a few bugles the entire hunt. I found the honey hole I guess.

I have seen a bunch of very good bulls come out of 49 this year.. Pry 5 over 300 with another the biggest was a legit 340 - 350 bull the guy who shot it said bigger.. All were gotten by buena vista locals - not sure how the out of state guys are doing..

I also heard they were not buglin in archery but I drove up got out of my truck on sept 13th and there were elk buglin everywhere..

Yea no elk buglin anywhere in 49 - that is just the story that goes aound ;)....

I did just eat tag soup after hunting deer in 49. A local friend gave me a landowner tag after his family did not show up to hunt. Saw some good bucks but no great bucks (190 +) so I ended up not even firing a shot.. I did see 2 bucks one went over 190 the other 210+ shot off private land in the 49 area....

Not a bad unit if ya know where to go..

Marley, good to hear you found 'em. We found an area the last 2 days in the timber where we were getting into them pretty good, just so stinkin' hard to get close in the dark timber, trying to be quiet. I got a shot at a 6 point the last day through some timber, but either my shooting lane wasn't clear and I hit something, or else I missed him out right. It seemed to me that the hot dry weather was making for tough hunting conditions.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom