elk adventure

muliefanatic

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-13 AT 07:58PM (MST)[p]Hey guys a few weeks ago my dad and I went to feed our horses when we got there my dad looked down to the alfalfa feilds and said there's the elk. We could not believe our eyes. We had been seeing the grams for about a week but still could not believe it. There are no elk around here. After watching him for a while we noticed something was wrong. He had a long piece of wire stuck on his antlers over 20 feet long. We watched him drag it till he fell into the river we called game and fish. While we waited he pulled the wire up and down the river dad had time to go home and get a camera.
979elkwire18.jpg

1991elkwire21.jpg

When the warden had got there he to could not believe it was an elk. By that time he had gotten into the salt cedars. We tied the wire to one but he had a lot of slack and room to run. But I finally was able to rope a back leg and my dad roped a front leg and we knocked him down like a steer. The warden was then able to cut off the wire. Amazing how strong those antlers are.
9260elkwire9.jpg

2385elkwire11.jpg

3452elkwire15.jpg

We got the wire off and we were able to let him go with no problem. we have not seen him since and I hope he made it was a big scare. here is a pic after we cut him free.

3299elkwire16.jpg

hope you all enjoy we sure did.

Onofre

This was near Santa Rosa. I wanted to type tracks not grams. It is something we will never forget and just as fun or better then any elk hunt we have ever been on. Glad you guys liked it.

Good work. A few years ago I stumbled on a rag horn skull with several yards of telephone wire tangled in his antlers and around the base of a tree. Looked like an awful way to starve to death. Good on ya for saving this boy from a similar fate.

I got to admit my be the best elk story of the year. Awesome the way you roped it and doctored it just like a steer in pasture.

Great story.As much as we all like to kill animals.
I hate to see them suffer.Elk karma definatly headed your way.
You did good.

Nice job guys.
You got some good Elk Karma for sure.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Has he shown up at all lately.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Hi guys sorry have not been on here in while. We have not seen him since that day but we have seen his tracks so we think he is still around. Not any other elk in the area. I will be putting up a trail camera and see if we can get him on it. If we do I will post the pictures.

Muliefanatic

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom