Elk Around Paonia

Spotnstalk80

My brother and I are making our maiden voyage to elk hunt and will be hunting around Paonia for second season rifle. We have a plan A but I'm not a fan of going into a hunt without a backup plan in case what we have doesn't pan out. Can anyone throw me some pointers in this area where we can perhaps head if plan A doesn't pan out? For second season what is the ball park elevation to expect animals to be? Our plan A is going to take us to around 8500 ft, wondering if that would be about right. Any info anyone can share from this area either here or via pm would be appreciated. Doesn't even have to be anything specific just general info on what to expect.

Thanks!

Rich

I think novice elk hunters and often times out of state hunters get to caught up in "what elevation to hunt?" Too much. Honestly there is no perfect elevation in my opinion and findings. For instance, I've killed elk down in the cedar and sage brush country below 7500 feet in archery season when the elk had the option to be a 12k plus. Where as I've killed elk at tree line in the second and third seasons when they had the option to be much lower. Often what determines on how high or low to hunt for me are a multitude of factors: Weather; is there a bunch of snow in the higher elevations that has caused the elk to push down. (This is common factor in the second) Pressure; Has there been alot of pressure on the elk in the prior season to mine? Or is it mid way through the season and the elk have been pushed hard already. Often times the elk will either drift towards or on the private or they will go high and deep. It really depends on the country. Type of Country; Some places the elk don't have much options, where as others they do. Paonia obviously is very topographically diverse. From the Raggeds to the pinion country around town. Best advice is to hunt and spend as much time in the country as possible. Over the years you will began to figure out the country and the animals. Consistent success on Public land in Colorado is science don't kid yourself...

Coloradoboy

Thanks Coloradoboy for your input. Appreciate the real talk on this from you. I know it's definitely not a slam dunk ever hunting public land and there is sure to be a learning curve.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom