Elk die off near Mora

Unit 46, I believe. Here's a quote from a press release:

"The Department advises hunters who hold licenses for Unit 46 to be vigilant for deer, elk or antelope that have unusual behavior or appear sick. Hunters should not harvest those animals, and should report anything unusual to the Department's toll-free information line, (888) 248-6866. Meat from EHD-contaminated game should be safe to eat, but as always, hunters should take precautions against contamination by bacteria or other substances by wearing rubber gloves when field-dressing and processing wild game."

Very sad to see indeed! I knew a gentlemen in Texas that had a similar die off on his ranch that extended into cattle as well. The culprit in that case was some type of sheep that drowned in a water tank and went un-noticed.
I had not heard of EHD in these parts before so this is new to me.Hopefully this is an isolated event and does not spread to any other parts. On the plus side "if there is one," the bears looked nice and fat in the video eating the elk. Still I would rather eat fresh elk over bear.
Other theory alien elk mutations or that dang chupa-elko this is New Mexico after all!
Again this very serious and a great tragedy to those elk numbers. In this part of the state elk as well as deer are constantly poached and lose a ton of young to predation. Hopefully this event does not happen again.
Thanks for posting and good luck on your hunt.

Hope they find the cause quick.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom