elk down

B

bull10

I need your help and ideas meat care on an upcoming elk trip. I'm from Iowa flying in and hunting in Idaho. I need you ideas about getting the meat home if I get lucky. Is it best to get processed, frozen and shipped?? or take onto the plane frozen?? any other ideas I will appreciate. Jon

BULL10, PAY THE EXTRA FRIGHT COST ON THE PLANE. IN A SUITABLE ICE CHEST PLACE BONED MEAT ONLY... FROZEN. THIS WORKS WELL, AND IS MUCH CHEAPER/ EFFECTIVE.. I HAVE BEEN THERE. I SAW A HUNTING PARTNER PAY $466 DOLLARS TO UPS FOR SHIPMENT OF MEAT THAT THAWED OUT 14 HOURS PRIOR, WHAT A BLOODY-- EXPENSIVE MESS OF ELK MEAT. HOPE THIS HELPS. TAKE ER EASY, YD.

yd, thanks for the advice on meat care. hopefully i'll get to use it.... Jon

I agree. Get it on the plane with you if at all possible! IF you have to ship something ship your hunting stuff. It will be way cheaper. Find out what your bagage restictions are and go just up to the max. Some airlines are free for the first 50# others are free for the first 75#... some charge $25 if over but under 100, others charge $50-75... etc. etc. I've found that United is the about the best to fly with as far as over wieght baggage goes. I think they give you the first 50# free and the next 50 for $25. I generally like to get the meat cut up or at least boned out and frozen. put it in a garbage sack lined card board box or get a cooler. You may also want to find out if you can pack dry ice with it... in case you can't get it frozen. Either way plan on bringing about 200# of meat back with you. :)

I like to take a large backpack for my carry on and another small pack as my "personal" item. I've not been hasseled yet. That way I can get everything I need in one small bag and the only other item is your gun case or your bow case.

Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom