Elk Draw ?

To piggy back on this question, my 2023 license expires the 12th, should be good to go for this years draw, my question is: Does anyone know what the application dates for next year will be? Secondly if one were to draw would they need to buy a license anyway to have a current valid license to hunt elk? Is it just easier to buy the $160 non-resident license and forgo any issues?

App period will end Feb 5 unless they change the status quo.

Buy your 2024 license the last day of the Deer app period, you'll get 2024 Deer, 2025 Elk and Deer on that license.
It seems the deadline in the past has been the 2nd Tuesday of feb,(6th Tuesday of the year). I think with the way the calendar falls this year is why it’s the 6th. Next year the 6th Tuesday in feb is the 11th. I could be totally wrong though.

Call down to the people on the Careless Highway, they might and might not know better 😃

can you edit your app once submitted?
I thought you could. Maybe I'm confusing it with other states, or updating CC info for AZ. In other words, I guess I don't really know what I'm talking about! :D :D

WapitiBob mentioned waiting until the last day. Based on recent history, waiting until the last day with the AZ system can be a real crap shoot.

There is absolutely no point in waiting until the last day to apply, and I don’t think that is what WapatiBob said. An applicant is asked DURING THE APPLY FOR LICENSE PROCESS, what day do you want the license to become effective. That question has been there since the application period opened, not to mention for years past. If people wait until the last day to apply, thinking that is what they need to do to double dip, and then whine because the system is slow, I’m just fresh out of sympathy.

I know what’s written but I am still nervous. My tag expires on Feb 8th. I am set for auto renew but still makes me nervous. This is the first year I didn’t buy the tag with the draw.
If your license does in fact expire on Feb. 8th, 2024, I can confidently say you are good to go. But since this is azgfd I would not place a bet on it. Good Luck

There is no need to buy a license if your current one expires on Feb 8. Wait and buy a new one, with a "start date" equal to the ending date of the app period (Elk or Deer draw period). If you don't apply in the Deer draw, wait till next year and buy one for the 2025 Elk draw (unless you draw the tag).
As an example that I have personally done, buy a license on say Jan 15 with a start date of Feb 6. Immediately go back into the system and apply for Elk, manually inputting the license number in the license box. Your app will go thru just fine. A few days later, when the portal is refreshed you will see your Elk application and you will see your license. That license will show the start date of Feb 6 and "status" will be marked as "valid". I have also purchased and applied on the last day without issue, but Pirogue has a valid point. Use the "start date" function.
The process above is a holdover from the days of paper licenses and the addition of the 365 day license. In the past, you could buy a paper license at Walmart, at 11:00 pm on the close date. As such there needed to be a way for the applicant to apply for the draw before that license info was input into the system. And many times, it was never input....
The issue this year, is the close date should have been Feb 13, based on the "2nd Tuesday" that the dept always used. I "assume" next years close date will be Feb 4 but we will have to wait for that info. Per a dept contact, the Commission will meet in August and will vote on 2025 app dates. That person felt the Feb 4 date was "likely".

Last edited:
I thought you could. Maybe I'm confusing it with other states, or updating CC info for AZ. In other words, I guess I don't really know what I'm talking about! :D :D

WapitiBob mentioned waiting until the last day. Based on recent history, waiting until the last day with the AZ system can be a real crap shoot.

In the past, if you applied online, you could submit a paper app and the dept would modify you app to the paper choices. That option got nipped in the bud pretty quick.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom