Elk Growth Pics

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
I know there will soon be people hanging cams across the state in hopes of getting pics of those bulls they want to hunt in the fall. For me, it's probably not going to be until early June and even later before I see the first pics. I wanted to just start a thread so people getting these pics can post some up for the rest of us to see how it's going!

LAST EDITED ON May-10-16 AT 01:25PM (MST)[p]Hanging cameras this week or next and I'll start posting pictures in June.

I like to hang mine mid July and get them the week before season. Know what the inventory is as close to opening day as possible

This guy and a few like him seem to be my best growers so far.

IMAG0175_zpsdq1aq4og.jpg

Thanks for all your help MM's no bulls yet but cams have only been out two weeks. Will ck again in a couple of weeks . here are a couple of pics from what I got.

Jack

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-16 AT 12:22PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-16 AT 12:20?PM (MST)

I'll be heading back up June 30th to check more.

The elk and bears are staying nice and cool though.

IMAG0123_zpsdwtjhgjj.jpg

IMAG0115_zpspdwv32fv.jpg

IMAG0306_zpsgurhmskc.jpg

IMAG0305_zpswuquecbb.jpg

I've got some good bulls I'm excited to see how they are doing.

edited these so no spots get out ;)

jh56tgr%2014_zpsr0ntyj5k.jpg

HUNT0154_zps4i2hfrdz.jpg

IMAG0018_zpsiiuf6jaj.jpg

with as dry of a year as its been I'm hoping to still see som big bull pics..... antler growth would be at about 80-90 percent. so we are almost getting to the what you see is what you get phase. almost time for me to go set up cameras

>with as dry of a year
>as its been I'm hoping
>to still see som big
>bull pics..... antler growth would
>be at about 80-90 percent.
> so we are almost
>getting to the what you
>see is what you get
>phase. almost time for me
>to go set up cameras
>

I will be putting mine up in July , IMO this years %80 or %90 mark will be coming in the next couple weeks. Lucky for the guys who have drawn units with plenty of rivers and creeks the antler growth in these units is pretty consistent . The bulls stick in the green creek beds eating green grass and drinking plenty of water . Good lick boys

Ditto,
80-90% yet to come.
They really hit it the end of July here after some green up from monsoons.
Still seeing half grown & clubs.

>Ditto,
> 80-90% yet to come.
>They really hit it the end
>of July here after some
>green up from monsoons.
>Still seeing half grown & clubs.
>

Yessiry hank, end of July %80-%90, finishing out early august , did you draw Hank?

I'll be helping several hunters as I scout for a big buck for my hunt,but I personally know a guy who has a couple tags...lol.

im sticking to my guns on the 80-90% end of june early july due to the fact i have plenty of trail cam pics that prove it. the Governor tag bull in arizona last year that went 436" was shot on july 22......if he had 10% more to go he would of been a 470"+ bull and would have put the spyder bull out of the world #1..... i think elk, in mid july, put on some mass and harden up... the bigger bulls i get trail cam pics of usually only put on 10-15" on the high end after july 1..... deer on the other hand is definitely a different story but they keep their velvet through september while elk only keep theres into early to mid august.... just my 2 cents

Well I wasn't able to check cams this week due to a family emergency :( Gonna try to make it out now in the next couple weeks. I guess the plus side to that is I should get some pics of bulls that are pretty much done growing!

I was out on Friday 7/1/16 and made a 20 mile loop through the Gila in the rain. I was pleasantly surprised to run across a group of bulls on the next ridge. There were about 6 in the group. 3 of which were easily over the 340 mark.
The video is shaky because I was sitting on my mule. The grass was still yellow with a slight ting of green. The tank I was checking was dry and is usually holding water.
It just goes to show even with it being dry, they will grow.

Just went down to Reserve and it's very green in Jewitt & Hardcastle area but bone dry in Reserve.Eagle Pk looks good & green on top. Got a wood permit & checked my deer unit.
Some green,and it was muddy last week.Had a dozen nice fat does cross the road and there in the bottom were 2 very nice bucks in velvet. 2 miles farther a group of cows passed all fat & sassy. A few spikes were in velvet still,mostly grown.

On way home I spotted a huge bull laying in a field.Obviously hit by a vehicle & only made it 200 yrds. Very nice 6x6 hard red bone. I'll stop tomorrow on way for wood & see if I can collect head,with landowners permission.

Got hit with showers & lightning on way home and could get some here tonight.

Looking good overall in Gila.

>I was out on Friday 7/1/16
>and made a 20 mile
>loop through the Gila in
>the rain. I was
>pleasantly surprised to run across
>a group of bulls on
>the next ridge. There
>were about 6 in the
>group. 3 of which
>were easily over the 340
>mark.
>The video is shaky because I
>was sitting on my mule.
> The grass was still
>yellow with a slight ting
>of green. The tank
>I was checking was dry
>and is usually holding water.
>
>It just goes to show even
>with it being dry, they
>will grow.
>

I sent you a p.m. kenny

Heard 3 week bugles mid day today loading firewood . Elk walking thru woods near me like I wasn't there.
Dumped on me as I was tying down load.
Bone dry in Luna.
Poured in Reserve & it got a few streams flowing.
The big 6x6 was gone.

Went out camping in my area over the 4th saw total 7 bulls lots of cows ton of does and bucks. One cactus buck which is the second one I have seen in this area. This buck looked like he had two giant broccoli heads growing together on his melon. Wish I would of got a pic of him. Placed two cams or so we will see. Got a pic of this bull he was the only one posing for a photo op.

1834vzm.img20160703211020.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-16 AT 09:15AM (MST)[p]http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p464/danielporter2/MFDC5189_zpszjhbdl1d.jpg

IMAG1051_zps3nwvcxbs.jpg

IMAG0711_zpss4m4qmuz.jpg

IMAG0701_zpsbizhfs6s.jpg

IMAG0659_zpsgcunovnm.jpg

IMAG0657_zpscepez0ck.jpg

Here are my.... um.... unit 45 bulls.

Unreal. Did you have them locked or just strapped? Sorry to hear about that. Nothing worse than putting in the effort, time and money and then having someone just rip it out of your hands.

>Unreal. Did you have them locked
>or just strapped? Sorry to
>hear about that. Nothing worse
>than putting in the effort,
>time and money and then
>having someone just rip it
>out of your hands.

They were strapped, no lock.

This is my third year running them, second year in this unit and I have never had an issue. So that's bad on me for having too much confidence in other people not touching it.

I hunt nothing, but public land, so I always accept the risk of having them stolen, but the thing that REALLY got me the most upset was..... both of these cameras were located at the end of long closed off roads(to atv and motorized vehicles). So me being me, I walked my happy butt out there, hung them and walked back.

Both of my cameras that were stolen had fresh atv tracks leading up to them.....

Anyways, let my lesson keep you all on your toes!
Don't get complacent and keep them all concealed or locked!

Best of luck to everyone out there. It's a good thing I have 10 more out there because I'd be upset if I didn't have cool pictures to look at.

Man that sux ass. We hit the Gila this past weekend. Greening up nice. The deer and elk looked fat and happy. Saw two coveys of Meatnscquail. Super rare. Gonna be a great year.

>>Unreal. Did you have them locked
>>or just strapped? Sorry to
>>hear about that. Nothing worse
>>than putting in the effort,
>>time and money and then
>>having someone just rip it
>>out of your hands.
>
>
>They were strapped, no lock.
>
>
>This is my third year running
>them, second year in this
>unit and I have never
>had an issue. So that's
>bad on me for having
>too much confidence in other
>people not touching it.
>
>I hunt nothing, but public land,
>so I always accept the
>risk of having them stolen,
>but the thing that REALLY
>got me the most upset
>was..... both of these cameras
>were located at the end
>of long closed off roads(to
>atv and motorized vehicles). So
>me being me, I walked
>my happy butt out there,
>hung them and walked back.
>
>
>Both of my cameras that were
>stolen had fresh atv tracks
>leading up to them.....
>
>
>
>Anyways, let my lesson keep you
>all on your toes!
>Don't get complacent and keep them
>all concealed or locked!
>
>
>Best of luck to everyone out
>there. It's a good thing
>I have 10 more out
>there because I'd be upset
>if I didn't have cool
>pictures to look at.

Pretty terrible of people to take it as far as theft though. I've heard of people turning the camera around or pulling the card, but to steal the camera? Anyway, best of luck to you, I hope those clowns get a visit by the warden for their ATV's and such.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-16 AT 02:24PM (MST)[p]People taking atvs off trail are one of my biggest irritations. I bet they never find those cams if they couldn't use atvs to get there.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-16
>AT 02:24?PM (MST)

>
>People taking atvs off trail are
>one of my biggest irritations.
>I bet they never find
>those cams if they couldn't
>use atvs to get there.
>

That is what separates us from the rest in my opinion. The willingness to walk and hike through all sorts of elements. It's barely hunting if your driving around all over the damn unit.

Iccy,

Sorry to hear about your Cams that really sucks, Checked mine yesterday and finally got some bulls. What do you think are they different bulls or the same?
Thanks for all of your help its a blast setting cams and collecting the photos.

Jack

MFDC0130_zpsgb5dgqo1.jpg

MFDC0099_zpsft8viqxq.jpg

MFDC0058_zpsc6bht07l.jpg

MFDC0056_zpsfb5jxsbs.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-16 AT 07:31AM (MST)[p]>Iccy,
>
>Sorry to hear about your Cams
>that really sucks, Checked mine
>yesterday and finally got some
>bulls. What do you
>think are they different bulls
>or the same?
>Thanks for all of your help
>its a blast setting cams
>and collecting the photos.
>
>Jack
>
>
MFDC0130_zpsgb5dgqo1.jpg

>
MFDC0099_zpsft8viqxq.jpg

>
MFDC0058_zpsc6bht07l.jpg

>
MFDC0056_zpsfb5jxsbs.jpg

Jack, that is an awesome picture of the bobcat!

I don't believe those are the same bulls.
There is almost two weeks of growth between those two pictures and in that amount of time, if they were the same bull, we would be talking about a lot of length and mass being added.
Im also going off the fronts being different.

I think the night time picture bull is older and going to finish much nicer than the day time picture bull.

May or may not be the same bull.. either way I would not pass on them. Keep the pics coming guys getting pumped for September!!

Jack

Not to high jack, but my cams show tons of cow elk. Is this something i should worry about or will bulls move in later?

Earlyriser,

Find the cows the Bulls will find the love!! Maybe move your cam to a north slope. That's what I did. Still have the one cam with a ton of cows on it, But not on a north slope.

Good Luck,

Jack

Thanks guys! The cams are located on a north slope in tall green grass on past, and hopefully future, wallows. So far they are only being used for drinking by the cows. I'm hoping that will change soon:)!

>Thanks guys! The cams are located
>on a north slope in
>tall green grass on past,
>and hopefully future, wallows. So
>far they are only being
>used for drinking by the
>cows. I'm hoping that will
>change soon:)!

I have different kind of camera locations.
Some I dubbed "inventory locations" and this is mostly near where all the bulls play. I let them run May-early August in those locations to run....inventory.

My other locations are watching the cows cows cows!
or water or wallows...... but yeah, they will come to your cams!

Just got back from checking cams. I'll post pics as I sort them. Have about 10k to go through still

I wish these bulls were a tad older, but they are super cool.
I don't have anything junky on my wall and it'll be tough for me to pass on them.

MFDC2383_zpsvg1xcaic.jpg

MFDC2384_zpsryqnumuf.jpg

I like this guys crown

MFDC0585_zpsw9y4soys.jpg

MFDC2330_zpssmlaoxft.jpg

Icy,

very nice bulls indeed I could not pass for my first archery Bull, have killed some nice bulls with a rifle, but those would be great for my first archery Bull. Not sure what happened to the Bulls I had on Cam, but I do have 1 and a nice Buck. Bobcat is still showing up. LOL

Sorry for the long wait guys but here are some I'll be chasing in a month. Also, sorry the pic quality isn't any better...also don't understand why they won't show up with an upright orientation. They are straight in my album.
2923img3138.jpg

1447img3137.jpg

73746img3158.jpg

9463img3142.jpg

34520img3141.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom