Elk Hunters Nightmare

Nocohunter

After several days into Colorado's first season our hunting party of 3 had nothing to show for our labors. In an attempt to draw elk from the dark timber we walked through several open parks cow calling. Coming into one park we cow called and got a bugle from the timber. We hunkered down and waited for the bull to come to us. But he didn't come. We had to go after him. We walked 50 yards into the timber, dat down, and called. A bugle no more than 50 yards in front of us echoed in the forest and a second one immediately after to our right. We approached with cation. After another 10 yards we spotted a bull we had thought was making a rub on a tree. The timber was so thick though we couldn't get a shot. So we watched. After a few seconds and realized he wasn't making a rub, he fighting another bull. We watched in amazement as the bigger bull threw the other to the ground just 30 yards in front of us. He then ran in front of us, broad side at 20 yards. I shot, and all 20 cows that were with them stampeded in all directions. We walked to find a blood trail in the severly torn up ground. We found it and followed it for 70 yards. From there the herd had ripped up the ground so bad that we couldn't find any blood after that. It was getting dark so we had to stop the search. I waited sleepless all night to find my bull in the morning. But I didn't and left with my tag in pocket.

WTF?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>After several days into Colorado's first
>season our hunting party of
>3 had nothing to show
>for our labors. In an
>attempt to draw elk from
>the dark timber we walked
>through several open parks cow
>calling. Coming into one park
>we cow called and got
>a bugle from the timber.
>We hunkered down and waited
>for the bull to come
>to us. But he didn't
>come. We had to go
>after him. We walked 50
>yards into the timber, dat
>down, and called. A bugle
>no more than 50 yards
>in front of us echoed
>in the forest and a
>second one immediately after to
>our right. We approached with
>cation. After another 10 yards
>we spotted a bull we
>had thought was making a
>rub on a tree. The
>timber was so thick though
>we couldn't get a shot.
>So we watched. After a
>few seconds and realized he
>wasn't making a rub, he
>fighting another bull. We watched
>in amazement as the bigger
>bull threw the other to
>the ground just 30 yards
>in front of us. He
>then ran in front of
>us, broad side at 20
>yards. I shot, and all
>20 cows that were with
>them stampeded in all directions.
>We walked to find a
>blood trail in the severly
>torn up ground. We found
>it and followed it for
>70 yards. From there the
>herd had ripped up the
>ground so bad that we
>couldn't find any blood after
>that. It was getting dark
>so we had to stop
>the search. I waited sleepless
>all night to find my
>bull in the morning. But
>I didn't and left with
>my tag in pocket.

So Tell us noco?

Your Other Post You Claim You've never Hunted Elk in there?

Did You Open Season a little Early?

And Now You're Claiming it was 2 years ago?

PLEASE SPLAIN IT!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-19 AT 10:15PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-19 AT 10:06?PM (MST)

This was 1st season, 2 years ago, on the western slope. Since then we have decided to try and find some elk near home as opposed to driving 6 hours. Like I said before. Not trying to take other guys spots, just trying to learn the area. And I am certainly not one of those A HOLE POACHERS.

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? Don?t discriminate by age but if you are 25 vs 55 might determine the type of response.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I'm 16 years old but have been elk hunting only 2 seasons and have not been able to fill either tags. These were both in a unit in the western slope. I joined this forum to hopefully learn from people with more experience than me and to share my successes and failures.

>Hahaha. That should explain everything....

Yup.

Pull up a chair young man (Nocohunter) and read/ listen more than post. When you do post try and ask specific and direct questions, as there are several very knowledgeable elk hunters on this board. Some have been here a long time. There are also some that tend to be legends in their own minds and spew some rhetoric at times....you can decide who is who as you navigate around here. ?

BOHNTR )))---------->

Wish I could help you Noco, but have never hunted that far north. We hunt in the southwest part of Colorado.

Hope your hunt goes better this time. Hope you get some weather to get the elk moving

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom