Elk Hunting Idaho for 1st

D

diamondlangus

My brother and I are going to be bow hunting elk in Idaho for the first time this year. I was wandering what the elk numbers are like in the SE areas near the border of Wyoming. Can a person get away from other hunters in the first couple of weeks of Sept? We back pack hunt and like to get in a couple of miles and set up camp and hunt from there.

thanks

The elk numbers are still descent except those close to the Parks (Yellowstone and Teton). The wolves have brought those numbers down.

You better plan on going further than a couple of miles back in to get away from the hunters. We have alot of bow hunters.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-08 AT 03:59PM (MST)[p]from what I can tell on my maps in areas 66, 66a, and 76 you can't get much more than 3 or 4 miles from a road.

I have a fair amount of experience in 76. 15 years ago it was the best OTC elk hunting in North America (in my opinion) but it really sucks now due to increased hunting pressure and illegal ATV trails. I would maybe look at having an outfitter do a drop camp for you in one of the wilderness areas in North central ID or something like that. ATV trail density has increased in 76 at least 10 fold over what it was in the mid 90's. The elk are still there but they will not talk at all and they just hide out in a hole during the entire season. send me an email if you have any questions.

If you are willing to get back in
a long ways, I would look at 66a
there is some nasty country in there,
76 you cant get away, no matter how
far you go.

Ditto on what hntbigbulls said. I have hunted 76 for 15 yrs. My uncle owns about 5,000 acreas of great elk country. Archery is a zoo the past few yrs. Elk are not very vocal, because of pressure. They sell about 1,500-2,000 archery elk permits is 66A-76. 66A has more remote country, you will have less company. Not as big of bulls as there were 10-15 years ago I hav'nt hunted archery for a few years in 76, because too many hunters and elk are not very vocal. Lots of water. Elk are sometimes not as vocal even after dark. Nothing like it used to be. If you want to see pretty country and want to shoot any elk, it's worth a try. If your after a 300 class or better, try another unit. imo

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom