Elk Hunting In the Owyhee

swampmule

I would like to get any ones opinion that has hunting or ran into Elk out in the Owyhee.The season is Oct 15th to Nov 24th.Should I hunt in the first part of the season or hold out and hope for snow I have just one week off at this time.I bird hunt out their but it is down low.Any help would be great Thanks.

The surprising thing about young fools is how many survive to become old fools.

I helped my son in that unit, but it was the early one. Talked to a guy who grew up on a Ranch and get's to chase bulls about 1 out of every 3 years on a landowner tag. Even with his knowledge he says it like finding a needle in a haystack. The amount of elf for the amount of country is overwhelming. Early they aren't hard to find, they are at the top of the mountain, but in Sept they start to move and when they disperse the key for the rest of the year is to find where they are at. Snow may certainly help late, but so would a buch of friends helping find where they are. If you do find them there are some big ones!

Hey BPKHunter
I was afraid of that I am going to start look this weekend.If I had a plane that mite help. Thanks

The surprising thing about young fools is how many survive to become old fools.

While scouting for that hunt of my sons I ran into a few other tag holders who did scout prior to the opener by plane. For the early opener I could see a benefit, but for the late hunt it just my show you how many nooks and crannies there are out there. Start with Google earth and then plan on spending a lot of gas money learning that country. Like I said, if you find them they can be big ones!

If your hunting unit 40 i can help. opening day the big herd will be broken up by the gang that surrounds it. The ranch will run them on horse back and 4wheelers for days. After about a week the elk settle down a bit but are still jumpy. I know some areas that the elk go to under pressure Pm or email me and i can give you some leeds if hunting unit 40.----------------------------------------------------------------------------support your local guzzlers. OHA life member,lapine oregon

The ranch will
>run them on horse back
>and 4wheelers for days.

Sounds like wildlife harassment to me?

PM me for some help. I will say you will have a really hard time finding a BIG bull on that hunt....but it happens.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom