Elk Hunting with a T/C Hawken

Mutley

Looking for some advise...I shoot a 400 Grain Great Plains conical, 90 grains Pirodex. This combo has worked great for deer and groups well at 100-125 yards. Got an LE elk tag this year and would like some feed back. What do you guys think about my load? Will it work well for Elk? I would love to shoot this gun, am very confident with it.

Also thinking about purchasing my first inline for the extra range. I know pretty much nothing about them. Can you guys also suggest a good one at a mid range price. Keep in mind I will be hunting Utah and cannot use a powered scope.

Thanks in advance,

Mutley

Your current load should be just fine for elk, just keep your shots close and in the sweet spot. As far as new guns go, I would look at the omega good mid priced rifle, add some BH 209 powder and Barnes T-EZ in 290 grain with a good one power scope, and some practice, good to go out to 200 yards. Good luck on your hunt and post some pics.

That will work just fine for elk. If you don't already have a peep sight, get one it makes a huge differance. Modern inlines are too butt ugly imo.

Your load should be good on elk for up to 150 yards. Doubt an inline would be any more accurate unless sabots shoot better than the conicals. Many guys seem to set a 200 yard limit with a 1x scope. If your sight is perfect, the peep may be just as good. If you are to the point that your vision is lacking, the scope might bring some clarity to the situation

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks for the advice, guys. Shooting a elk with the Hawken would be a blast. I've never shot with a peep before. I wouldn't mind giving one a try. I've noticed my iron sights shoot a little left or right at a hundred yards. Its like I need a half click to get it perfect. What is the best peep sight out there?

Mutley

IMHO

The lyman peep is quite good - if mounted close to your eye (on the tang behind the hammer) and a fine fiber-optic front sight (look for a Willams "fire-site") - front sight will need to be the correct hight.....and a smaller front bead will let you see the critter at longer ranges. Large front sights can cover the animal beyond 100yds and make fine corrections almost impossible. I would try the other powders like trip-7 or Buck Horn 209. Better performanace - cleanner burning with a lower ignition point. I think that your bullet will do a good job on elk.
I agree that the old school sidelock is by far a better looking rig. My Knight shoots well but is pretty ugy compared to my .54 cal. Lyman Deerstalker.

Good Luck
Griz

You could get a Green Mountain Hawken drop in barrel with a 1/28 twist I beleave and have the best of both worlds and have just 1 gun. Put a set of Lyman peep sights 57SML & 17AML front target sight and you could be good out to say 200yds if the first shot at under 100yds didnt do it,I wont go past 150yds now the sights can be adjusted out ferther maby all the way out to almost 300

Nim

What Zim said. IdahoRon who frequents this forum turned me on to these sights.

The Lyman 57SML rear receiver peep sight with the 17AML front globe sight, paired with some Lee Shaver globe sight inserts are the ticket for the perfect sight set up for "primative" front stuffers, e.g., T/C Hawken or Renegade.

Here are some photos of a Hawken set up with this combination:

Muzzleloader1.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Green Mountain stopped production of the LRH barrels in 2010, so good luck finding one of those.

From what I understand, the Lyman sights are on a several month backorder, so they will hard to come by as well.

I haven't come across a better combination than this though. Good luck on your hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom