Elk in Unit 17

deerhuntr4885

I'm thinking about doing a hunt in the wilderness in unit 17 some time in the future. What do you guys know about the area? Thinking about flying in to a wilderness airstrip and hiking out from there. Have no solid plans or specific areas picked out just toying with the idea. Any advice or info about elk pops. in the area would be very much appreciated.

Mike Henne

Elk herd there is struggling at best. Used to hunt there every year for years but wouldn't waste the time now. Not to say that you won't run into a bull here and there but it's not the glory hole it used to be.

Kicker

That is correct... Also you can count on lots of other folks flying into those air strips.
We have had some fires in there in the last few years and it is showing improvment with the elk. There are also some wolves in there stiring things up.
If you are serious, you might consider an Outfitter drop camp. I bet you could do one for a little bit more than a fly in.
Also F&G is going to "reduce oportunity" next year. Which means fewer tags for non residents if F&G language...
I ahve done a fair bit of guiding in a portion of 17, mostly 16a.

OK, thanks guys. I was just curious. I may be interested in doing a drop camp too if there are still huntable numbers of elk in there. I have horses myself and do quite a bit of packing and hiking in the wilderness. Not too afraid of guiding myself. Just looking for a new adventure. Would it be worth the cost for an outfitter/drop camp? Is there still huntable elk populations in there? I would be happy with a CHANCE at 275-300 bull.

Mike Henne

I would say you have a very good chance at a 275-300 bull in that neck of the woods. Most of the better bulls that I guided on were in the 290-320 range. Of course we saw a few bigger ones and I do think a few true monster (350 +) are in there. However the overall elk numbers are down. so you can go quite awhile between elk sightings. We have a group of guys from Texas that hunt the Sept hunt pretty regular on a drop hunt. They usually go 3 for 4 with one or two of those being bulls in the 300 range.
To be honest the numbers are better on the Salmon River side. Not especially numbers of bigger bulls, just number of elk. I have big hopes for this zone if they cut a few tags, kill a few wolves and the feed comes back after the fires. There has been more large fire activity in these units in the last 5 years, than in the previous 40 years...
I would say the cost of a drop camp is well worth it. Especially if you can get the outfitter to work with you on the price if you bring your own riding horse or something like that. You would likely have to promise them that you would not just turn around and come back on your own and put a camp on top of them the next year.... but most outfitters will work with you a bit on a drop camp, if you are a good guy and low maintenance. A wilderness hunt is more about the area and experience then putting several hundred inches of horn on the ground. good luck. Send me a PM if you want a Name or two of some outfitters.

OK, Thanks SB. I totally agree. I am more interested in the experience then inches, of course I want to harvest a bull but I just want to experience one bugling in my face once. That would be cool!

Mike Henne

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom