Elk Rifle General Season Outfitter Suggestions?

Dark2Dark

Merry Christmas, all!

My best hunting buddy, my dad and I are trying to plan a rifle elk hunt next year. Our preference would be an outfitted drop camp (not in a wilderness area). We have enough points to draw a general tag, for sure.

My dad is 71 this year. He’s in good shape and I’d like to get him on a good quality hunt while he’s still getting around really well.

We are open to a full DIY trip, we have the roadside camp for it but it’s hard to know where to start. Several contacts I’ve made have suggested various places where they had good hunting, but they did not do a drop camp. And even then, hard to narrow down where to start.

I think we would prefer to not be in grizzly county.

Any help (here or DM’s) is greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays!

D2D

You are going to struggle to find outfitters that do drop camps. Many are not permitted to do them per their forest service permit, and also they are more or less a pain in the rear for outfitters to take care of instead of just focusing on their full time camps and clients. Logistically they are tough, outfitters don't hire extra guides, and are usually plenty busy to be dealing with a drop camp. All my years in western wy i never knew an outfit who did. I'm sure you can search around etc, but just letting you know, the good outfitters don't do drop camps, because they don't need to

You are going to struggle to find outfitters that do drop camps. Many are not permitted to do them per their forest service permit, and also they are more or less a pain in the rear for outfitters to take care of instead of just focusing on their full time camps and clients. Logistically they are tough, outfitters don't hire extra guides, and are usually plenty busy to be dealing with a drop camp. All my years in western wy i never knew an outfit who did. I'm sure you can search around etc, but just letting you know, the good outfitters don't do drop camps, because they don't need to
I definitely appreciate the feedback.

This info is as useful as any.

We have a good time on drop camp hunts in Oregon, but that makes total sense there would not be a bunch of ask for it in Wyoming.

I probably won’t have much luck finding someone not in a wilderness area that would be willing to just guide one of us and let two of us do our own thing, either.

Guess it’s sounding more like full-blown guided or a full DIY roadside camp.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom