Elk Rut

Muleyhunter05

When does the rut usually kick in. With this weather Im hoping it starts a little earlier. Just kind of curious what everyone has experienced in the past as to dates that it starts. Thanks everyone

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-14 AT 10:11PM (MST)[p]every mnt range can be different.

Early sept to mid sept they establish dominance. even to the end of sept sometimes.

mid sept to early oct they round up cows. Then late sept to end of oct. the breedimg begins. Then late oct they stay with the cows to make sure younger bulls don't try to breed them. This is what I see in the area I hunt

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-14 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]The rut, I expect, is pretty much always relatively the same. Based much more on length of day than weather. How vocal they are and how early they are vocal, may vary much more based on pressure, area, weather, etc...

Overall, we figured the most vocal time generally is the third week of September.

Depends on what you consider the "rut". Out here in the desert, bulls are already gathering their harems. I call that the "rut". They are wallowing and bugling.

I took my trail cam's out last Sunday.

Going over all the pix-----

It is certainly hit or miss----

All with in 5 miles of each other and some have herds of elk others have single bulls and some have cow's-n-calves no bulls....not even a spike---

Way to early to tell----toss in this screwy August weather and the coming big ole Full Moon....

I say all bet's are off for this years 'dates' of the rut....

Robb

PS-I am in the high mountain area's overlap Region G deer ....not a peep out of me about the velvet bucks I have on pix--(not a single wolf BTW)

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-14
>AT 10:11?PM (MST)

>
>every mnt range can be different.
>
>
>Early sept to mid sept they
>establish dominance. even to the
>end of sept sometimes.
>
>mid sept to early oct they
>round up cows. Then late
>sept to end of oct.
>the breedimg begins. Then
>late oct they stay with
>the cows to make sure
>younger bulls don't try to
>breed them. This is what
>I see in the area
>I hunt

No offense nfh, I have never seen an elk rut like this anywhere I've hunted in Wyo.

jm77---Me neither. Last year it was late and they were still breeding and bugling strong on 10/9 when our rifle season opened. In a normal year they're done and it's very quiet by that time. That's why when anyone gets a bow tag and can hunt in September we feel the best time is any time you can get out!

>jm77---Me neither. Last year it
>was late and they were
>still breeding and bugling strong
>on 10/9 when our rifle
>season opened. In a
>normal year they're done and
>it's very quiet by that
>time. That's why when
>anyone gets a bow tag
>and can hunt in September
>we feel the best time
>is any time you can
>get out!

I have seen it vary by a week to 10 days, but it is not a all uncommon to hear bugling anytime throughout Sept and Oct(and other months for that matter). If you want to hunt during the breeding phase of the rut, the last week of Sept should work every year. Most of the big breeder bulls leave the herds during the first two weeks of Oct(or they'll die of exhaustion) and the bigger satellite bulls take over to get late cows. Those bulls make it look good, but it's mostly a show because they missed out.

jm77---That's also my take on it where we hunt. The 357 3/8" bull my buddy shot at first light on 10/9 in 2010 was with another smaller bull and ther were no cows anywhere around. I guarantee that as big as he was that he was a herd bull until all the cows he had wore him out, LOL!

>Robb
>
>PS-I am in the high mountain
>area's overlap Region G deer
>....not a peep out of
>me about the velvet bucks
>I have on pix--(not a
>single wolf BTW)

Robb or PleaseDear,

BTW there is a good reason why you have no wolf pictures....BANG!!!! Wolves here have not lived long enough (in the predator zone) to get famous! If you want wolf pictures you should set your camera's up in Jackson, you will find plenty up there.

Good luck this fall

>
>No offense nfh, I have never
>seen an elk rut like
>this anywhere I've hunted in
>Wyo.

None taken, the range I hunt this is what I witness. A cow call in sept. does me no justice. I can bugle with luck and a cow call can make them turn around then the next day I go to the bighorns with a buddy and the bulls go nuts with the cow call.. In sept where I hunt I don't see bulls breeding at all. where I stated before in oct I see that kind of action...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom