Elk scouting reports

Cazador

For those lucky tag holders this year how's your scouting going? I've been out several times and I have to say I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing with horn growth and how healthy the elk are looking. I was a little disappointed at first not drawing my first choice in one of the more popular units and reading remarks from other hunter posts about how much the quality/quantity of the bulls in the unit I drew has gone down (perhaps they were being deceitful??). I have not seen one small bull in my scouting excursions other then the spikes/raghorns that are running with their mothers. There are definitely no short length large bulls like seen in years past due to drought. Whale tails galore. I have a feeling that this years rut is going to be a good one and it looks like it is shaping up for them to rut pretty good during the archery hunt (fingers crossed). I've heard some early morning bugles already and have seen a few bulls that are almost done shedding their velvet. I'll post some pics pretty soon of a few bulls we seen in our most recent scouting trip.

I hope everyones scouting adventures is going good as mine. Tell us what you are seeing. The archery hunt is around the corner!

I aint telling you nothing you low life bum.... Man how are you. Have not heard your name in a while. I drew a unit 8 tag this year, but can't get out scouting since I live in Alabama now. What hunt did you draw?

Blair

I'm doing great! Living the dream... NOT.. I'm not too sure if I should say what unit I drew for the sake of trying to keep it a secret.. HA! I have not been out to unit 8 in a while but I'm sure elk all over the state are doing great. Our Monsoon season has really kicked in and the forests are lush and just about every tank (at least in my secret unit) is full. If this keeps up I don't think sitting a tank is going to be productive but rather finding a hidden wallow/spring is going to be the ticket. TTL!

I have the late October rifle bull hunt in unit 8. Since I figure the bulls will break up their boys clubs and move miles once the rut starts, I will not start serious scouting until September. 8 has been getting great rainfall.
I was up in 9 last Sunday, and it sure was green. Should bode well for the all the elk (cows, calves, bulls and fetus) going into winter.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

I've got a 6A archery bull tag, and I've been up there for the past three weekends. Seeing plenty of elk, and LOT'S of green grass!! ;-)

I'll be up there again twice more prior to the hunt! The hunt starts in just over three weeks and I can't wait!!!!!

S.

:)

Those are some great shots.... Good luck in October. I won't be there until late Novemeber. Hopefully there will be a good one left.

As promised here are some of the photos of my last scouting trip. The quality of the pictures are not that great as to they were taken off an old tape video camera.

Oh I'd kill that bull in my unit!

It's been rainin tons, very green and lots of water. I haven't seen anybody back where I've been looking - hope it stays that way for the hunt. Heading up sunday for deer/bear hunting and more elk scouting. Never hunted the area so hopefully the scouting pays off.

Ryan
www.KeyToTheKaibab.com

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom