Elk transplant in KY

joesikora

Long Time Member
Elk have successfully been transplanted in KY. They started the project from 1997-2002 of 1,500 animals the population has risen to almost 16,000.
Great success story! MO is doing the same IL shot down the Bill to bring in elk.
here is a pic of the state record Bull

71C38E8A-2FC4-4088-ABEE-6245A7D0200E.jpeg

If you talk to the locals in Eastern Kentucky they say the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife number of 16,000 elk is a myth.

Since about 2016 the number of tags has been reduced, total harvest reduced and harvest success reduced but they increase the number of elk they say they have every year.

But I guess that really isn't an issue for me since the odds for a non-resident rifle bull tag is a 1 in 1,100 chance.

But I don't have a problem paying a $10 application fee for a long shot tag. Sometimes they pay off.

This is my son's 2016 Kentucky bull.

20161008_212453 (1).jpg

If you talk to the locals in Eastern Kentucky they say the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife number of 16,000 elk is a myth.

Since about 2016 the number of tags has been reduced, total harvest reduced and harvest success reduced but they increase the number of elk they say they have every year.

But I guess that really isn't an issue for me since the odds for a non-resident rifle bull tag is a 1 in 1,100 chance.

But I don't have a problem paying a $10 application fee for a long shot tag. Sometimes they pay off.

This is my son's 2016 Kentucky bull.

View attachment 73474
Yes sir I’ll send the money What the heck!

MO has transplanted elk and I think their starting to raffle off some tags
We try to get IL to transplant elk but I’m sure the farmers had they say and shut it down. Another thing if they put them anywhere close to Route 3 the fatality rate would be just terrible

Texas has wild free range elk. Texas has desert bighorn. Texas spends millions managing bighorn. Texas decides elk are a threat to their bighorn management and they want to be able to extirpate the elk so they delist them as a big game species. They even put out propaganda saying none of the elk in Texas are from wild herds. This is all so chopper whacking elk by the state doesn't turn into a PR nightmare.

Guess what happens. TPWD starts putting the screws to elk in Texas. It actually pushes the elk to fan out across the state into new areas. Soon elk are turning up in odd new areas. 20 years later we probably have 20 times as many elk as we used to. B&C refuses to recognize them in their record books because TPWD refuses to recognize them as big game.

THERE ARE SOME MONSTEROUS ELK IN TEXAS.

Probably the biggest mistake TPWD has done in my lifetime.

Texas has wild free range elk. Texas has desert bighorn. Texas spends millions managing bighorn. Texas decides elk are a threat to their bighorn management and they want to be able to extirpate the elk so they delist them as a big game species. They even put out propaganda saying none of the elk in Texas are from wild herds. This is all so chopper whacking elk by the state doesn't turn into a PR nightmare.

Guess what happens. TPWD starts putting the screws to elk in Texas. It actually pushes the elk to fan out across the state into new areas. Soon elk are turning up in odd new areas. 20 years later we probably have 20 times as many elk as we used to. B&C refuses to recognize them in their record books because TPWD refuses to recognize them as big game.

THERE ARE SOME MONSTEROUS ELK IN TEXAS.

Probably the biggest mistake TPWD has done in my lifetime.
damn that’s nuts. Have you shot one yet?

They are treated just like exotics here. No specific season. Year round targets, if you own the land or have access to it. Monsters in the Alpine/Ft Davis area.

How do I get in on this Elk Hunt?
If they want them gone why not transfer them to WI or MO etc instead of just wacken and stacken!?

I would love to win a KY Elk Tag so I’ll send the what $200 for the NR hunting license and tag app fee etc I know it’s less than $200 just rounding up the number. I’m going to contact KY G&F tomorrow and see what unit I should put in for and who would be a good guide service to use if drawn. This is a tag I wouldn’t want to waste of course so if anyone has any info just let me know

Where are they at Tri? Let’s hunt them up!
Hey Tri my buddy just lost his right eye over the weekend he’ll have to learn to shoot left handed now but he has never killed a WT of any kind yet so I thought about taking him hunting maybe in Texas with outfitter I seen some pretty decent prices for hunts with hogs and predator hunts as well. He does have access to good hunting ground 10 minutes from his house but doesnt know how to hunt deer. Heworks with a guy that his family owns 400 acres or so in Iowa and the Drury Boys bought the farm right next to their property. Anyway this guy he works with has killed multiple B&C deer with his bow and Weiner thinks it’s easy to kill deer of that quality by just walking in the woods on this property and kill a deer like that and we all know it’s a lot of work to kill that caliber of deer. Or you can be like me and just walk out in the field and kill a 159 6/8” 10 pointer! It does happen. Weiner is like a young kid fishing if he doesn’t catch a fish and you do he’ll throw his line in where yours was I did the same thing when I was about 10 years old. Like I said he’s has access to 100 acres of woods water and corn fields all to himself But thinks it’s not that good of a spot!
what say you!?

Last edited:
I would love to win a KY Elk Tag so I’ll send the what $200 for the NR hunting license and tag app fee etc I know it’s less than $200 just rounding up the number. I’m going to contact KY G&F tomorrow and see what unit I should put in for and who would be a good guide service to use if drawn. This is a tag I wouldn’t want to waste of course so if anyone has any info just let me know

You only have to send in the $10 application fee. Only have to buy a license if you are successful. Non-resident bull elk tag $550 plus NR general hunting license $150.

You can find exotic oryx and elk abundant on the Otero Mesa, stretching from Hudspeth County in Texas to Otero County in New Mexico. They transit between the Sacramento Mountains of the Rocky Mountain chain and the Chihuahuan Desert. You will find ibex, mule deer, white tail and pronghorn there also. There is no State bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic wild game animals in Texas. I lived in that area for 20 years and enjoyed all the hunting it offered whenever I wanted to hunt. When hunting this area make sure you know where you are at all times. NM has seasons and many rules on elk and oryx and you can easily find yourself on off limits military land. This area is also full of Native American artifacts being studied by archaeologists. Some of the “arrow heads” are guarded by hidden game cameras and it’s a felony to take them. But, the most dangerous thing out there is unexploded ordinance. Don’t pick anything up you are not 100% sure of what it is.

You can find exotic oryx and elk abundant on the Otero Mesa, stretching from Hudspeth County in Texas to Otero County in New Mexico. They transit between the Sacramento Mountains of the Rocky Mountain chain and the Chihuahuan Desert. You will find ibex, mule deer, white tail and pronghorn there also. There is no State bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic wild game animals in Texas. I lived in that area for 20 years and enjoyed all the hunting it offered whenever I wanted to hunt. When hunting this area make sure you know where you are at all times. NM has seasons and many rules on elk and oryx and you can easily find yourself on off limits military land. This area is also full of Native American artifacts being studied by archaeologists. Some of the “arrow heads” are guarded by hidden game cameras and it’s a felony to take them. But, the most dangerous thing out there is unexploded ordinance. Don’t pick anything up you are not 100% sure of what it is.
Hidden game cameras guarding artifacts? Hahahaha

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom