Elk unit 111 vs. unit 24

SlimShedy

Looking into these two units for this year and was wondering how they compare. Just a couple questions for anyone who might be willing to give a little advice.

1. How does the trophy quality compare?

2. How is the access in 111. It looks like alot of private on a
topo but success rates are high, so it must not be a huge
issue. 24 looks much more accessable.

3. How's the hunting pressure in these units? Fewer tags in 111
has to make for a little better hunt I would think.

Elk numbers are very high, trophy quality is similar in each area with good bulls 280-330. Occassionally a big bull will be taken but IMO neither of these areas are "trophy" areas. 24 is a great unit if you want an easy elk with lots of road hunters, 111 has tougher access issues and rougher terrain. I have a family friend who owns and outfits a very large ranch on the south and SE side of the unit in elk area 111 and although they are 100% on nice bulls I don't think they have ever taken a 350+ bull...

I have been looking at both of those units also..I,m older (59) usual end up hunting by myself..so looking for an area that has good bulls and more of a fun type hunt..I have taken a few bulls here in utah and colo..one of my qustions was on access to 111..I have atv,s that I use to get to the basic area then hunt on foot (glass etc) and then use the ATV more for packing..if I go with the SP tag for 111 its 100% draw this year..and only 81% for 24 SP..not that I have money but I,m not getting any younger..Don,t mean to Hi-jack this thread..just basic info,thank you ~coues52

alaska_bou... Thanks for your input. It's much appreciated. Your info pretty much went along with what I was thinking. I,m not necessarily looking for a monster bull. I'd be more than happy with a good looking 300 class 6X. I guess I'm a little more concerned with the access issue. It seems that most of the elk in any unit migrate to private with any pressure. Can a guy find good numbers of elk on public in 111. Maps of this unit make it look kinda iffy.

Draw odds are going to fluctuate slightly from year to year. When you have a unit with so few non-res tags to begin with little things, like this thread, can totally destroy a guys shot at a tag. 100% last year might be 20% this year. Might have just shot myself in the foot. I guess it's part of what makes this game interesting and frustrating at the same time.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-12 AT 06:48PM (MST)[p] Reddog,again thanks for your help on hunting colo elk 4 years ago had a blast ended up with a 4x5 bull before the storms came in (again on my own)..Reddog 1+ been there done that.I got blown out a couple times when I thought i had the tag in the bag..2 years ago in Oregon there was 203 app for 202 tags,guess who didn,t draw.. The biggest problem I,m seeing with 111 is access around the private prop.. I don,t want to bank my points again,not getting any younger..I,m all ready doing that with the deer in wyo & colo..with New Mexico,s changes i,m walking away from there.. A number of years ago walked away from Idaho,now its worse than when I walked away...I,m not looking for a monster ,mainly just a fun hunt.. I,d be very happy with a 300 class elk.. what ever I get down I,ll be on my own..~coues52

Coues52... Good luck to you whatever you decide. Who knows, maybe we'll see you over there. Would be more than willing to help in any way if I'm in the area. Elk by yourself is one helluva handfull. Been there...Done that.

Access is going to be better in 24, but like I said there are alot of road hunting in that unit. Its a popular unit becuase elk are relatively "easy." On Oct 12th of this year I was about 13 miles North of area 24 immediately after a snow storm. It was a cold, calm morning. One of those rare occassions that allow you to use a spotting scope from an extreme distance. There were elk all over 24 on green mtn. Too far to count points but it was obvious a number of bulls were nice bulls.

Elk often to do push onto private property in 111. If you opt for that unit and draw send me an email and I can put you in touch with our family friend that owns a very large ranch on the South side of the mnts. They do outfit the property but the elk are getting out of control, not enough bookings, too hard to draw and too few tags. If you draw he may let you hunt after the outfitter is finished for a reasonable fee.

Good luck, results should be up in a little over a month!

You also might look into the ferris mtns, area 22. This area sits directly between 24 and 111, offers great hunting, very few hunter, its almost entirely public land and produces 360+ bulls. I can't tell you what the draw odds are off-hand, worth a look.

"...the elk are getting out of control, not enough bookings, too hard to draw and too few tags."

alaska, the reason that elk numbers are above objective in 111 is that the ID and Petersens don't allow any cow harvest. That's fine, it's their perspective and private land (well, half of it is), but I certainly hope that they aren't complaining about elk numbers when they offer very little to no access to harvest cows and actually manage the herd. There are plenty of tags offered in this unit, including late cow/calf tags, but it does little good when they can't be harvested because the "large ranches on the south side of the mountains" are a refuge for the elk during the hunting seasons.

Unit 24 would be a better option for an older hunter, especially one hunting solo. The block public portions of 111 are extremely rough, and the Ferris Mountains in 22 are even rougher. It is spot on that 24 is popular due to the ease of hunting, lots or roads, lots of access. All three units produce great bulls every year, public and private.

Thanks everybody for all of the info. Its good to have a place like Monster Muleys with guys who are willing to share a little info.

Alaska bou,thanks for the suggestion on unit 22,but it looks like the draw odds aren,t very good 13% std tag &~22% for the SP tag, and being ret with a part-time job (that ends in april) to pay for my habits, I can only fund for the std tag..~coues52

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-12 AT 00:27AM (MST)[p] no I live about 30 miles west of SLC utah,but my wife & I are looking at trying to move to AZ (Payson area) if we CAN ever ret and I can find a part-job again~coues52

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-12 AT 00:29AM (MST)[p]SlimShedy Thank you for the offer of the help, I may take you up on that..also when I do some scouting trips (if I draw or just to help with the coyotes) I will keep you posted with what I see ~coues52 PS : pm sent

alaska_bou,

Question regarding unit 22 elk. Is the wilderness study area in that unit the same as a normal wilderness area where you must have a guide as a non resident? Do, you know of any pack out services available in that area?

Thanks!

No it is not a designated wilderness area. No a non resident does not need a guide. No there are no pack-out services there unless you have a freind with horses.

If you really require a pack-out service, I would suggest that area 22 is not the unit for you.

SouthernWyo,

thanks for the reply, wasnt sure about the difference between the two. I would rather pack out myself, but thought I would check out the options since some were saying that is rough country. Some of the best memories of hunts you can have are the tough ones! Not knowing the country, my idea of rough may be way different then yours?
Could a guy find a good camping area around the base of the mountain and realistically hike into elk every day or would it be better to camp higher and hunt? I just hate to camp in the middle of the game and run them off the mountain and ruin it for others.

Thanks again!

Also debating on 24 and will be archery hunting solo. Have any of you guys ever been in 24 during bow season? Looking for a easier unit since I will be alone but 24 is small and looks like allot of roads. Any info would be greatly appreciated need to make my mind up SOON!! :)

I haven,t been on that unit,I,ve been past it on my way antelope hunting..I,m 59 and usualy hunt solo,so I look for areas with easier packing etc..if I was younger & good shape I would be looking at other units..also look at colo..there some good units (280-300 ish)bulls if you can pack...~Danny

I have been looking at 24 myself. I hate to say it but i believe the drawing odds will really drop this year due to alot of posts ive seen on this website, other hunting forums and being in Eastmans........ Hope i'm wrong.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom