elk unit 40 or 41 archery

slim23

I am looking into unit using my points this year for a elk bow hunt. I am undecided on which unit to apply for.
1-Unit 40 has less tags 75 vs 41 having 125
2-unit 40 has no wilderness and less access - a plus as i love to walk
3-unit 41 has a lot more good looking elk area and I'm guessing a lot higher population
4-I am worried about a lot of the elk getting pushed into the wilderness with most of the roads leading up too it and only small 1.5 mile squares with no access.
5-as far as trophy quality I'm not too concerned as 260-280 will make me very happy
6-the success rates are both very good and close to 30%
7-Im guessing that 90% of the elk will be in the eastern 1/4 of both units with the rest of them being desert, sage, winter range?
does anyone have any on the ground experience with either one? I have been calling to talk with a biologist for 2 weeks with not response yet.
with the points creep i don't see drawing unit 45 anytime soon already being 2 points behind

What you may be forgetting is that unit 40 does not allow archery hunting on the type 1 tag like 41 does the last half of September. That should make a big difference in hunter numbers the last half of September in 40 as compared to 41 where 375 Type 1 tags were issued and a lot will probably buy an archery permit for the 9/15-9/30 season. Both units have a lot of huntable pubic land for an NR without worrying about the wilderness rule. Hope that helps a little!

you are correct and i forgot to list that.
I am leaning toward 40 but a little worried about the population of elk there compared to 41.

If you hunt 40,I don't think you'll be disappointed if you have enough time up there to do it right! Good luck on whatever you decide!

This is your hunting consultant.

1201798681_f.jpg

>This is your hunting consultant.
>
>
1201798681_f.jpg

Seeing as how your profile is disabled I'll assume that's a self portrait!!!

I'm also looking at unit40 for hunting this year. Looking for some information on where some good hunting is for a guy who's willing to walk. Is there a good resident herd of elk in there? Do most of them stay up in the mountains or do any of them venture down into the lower areas and plains?

not really. you gotta understand that all and any resident that doesn't draw deer will be general tag and can go hunt over there just to hunt. Its not a good deer hunt IMO. Im just throwing that out there. Plus its not that big of an area so if you think there is tons of room to get away you might be mistaken. You would probably end up chasing elk in herds that others are chasing as well.

41 has a lot of type 1 cow tags too, so there will be more hunters after 9/15 than the numbers listed above. 45 is worth it if you can draw in the special drawing, especially for a NR. That is one huge unit with a lot more access points and non-wilderness areas than 41. There's 38 and 39 too that don't have any wilderness that might be easier to draw than 45.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom