Elk Unit 77 or 21 - youth only

Pwrhd

I am a NR with 15 points. I plan to take my daughter on her first Western hunt this year. She wants it to be elk. I am debating splitting my points with her and ran across the two youth only options in 77 and 21. I cant find anything regarding draw odds for these units. Also, are the youth only hunts on the NER or in 21 any good? I would appreciate any insight. Thanks for your help.

Not really answering your question but... how old is your daughter ? Does she have any preference points of her own ? My daughter was in her 20's and I was in the same boat as you. I convinced her to do an Antelope hunt first. She really wanted Elk but agreed. We had a great Antelope hunt and she agreed that it was a good way to get started out west and would help her on her Elk hunt. 2 years later we did the Elk hunt. It turned out pretty well :) That might be something for you to consider. Whatever you decide you both will remember it forever. GOOD LUCK !
20161017_180840.jpg

Thanks Chip.

She turns 12, Oct 1 and has 0 points. I did the same with my son last year when he was 12. Did an antelope/deer combo splitting points. He did very well and did not hold us back in any way. Of course, he whined a little. Most of my family hunts out west and all feel she will hold her own. I'm out of antelope and deer points which contributes the preference for elk. They both have been exposed to alot so I am confident she can handle what I have in mind. I will probably get flack for her being so young but not all kids the same. Just trying to find a good option for her to get a nice bull.

What if she got a cow tag and you got a bull tag for the same unit? Probably a better chance of getting two animals then trying to split your points and get 2 bulls in a mid-point unit. PM sent.

with her and ran across the two youth only options in 77 and 21. I cant find anything regarding draw odds for these units. Also, are the youth only hunts on the NER or in 21 any good? I would appreciate any insight. Thanks for your help.
The unit 21 hunt looks to be youth get to hunt 21 two days earlier then everyone else on the General tag so you would both need to draw general tags. 77 looks to be late for youth on the elk refuge at the end of November if you have a full price youth tag:

I suggest you take her on an antelope hunt for a first hunt. Find an easy to draw area. Many of those areas have some excellent Walk In areas which are private lands the public can access. A great first hunt with very high success rates and not super physically challenging like an elk hunt.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom