elk units 21 and 13

W

wyohunter88

I'm new to the area and I would like some information on these area's. What caliber of bulls and how hard is it to hunt.

lots of elk in this area, mostly raghorns there are very few 6 pt bullsaround, best hunting during archery season, I like west of the continental divide in the fringe habitat.

Thanks for the info and where would be the best place to access that terrain. Is there a lot of action and pressure during the hunting season.

how about around the encampment wilderness area. I was wondering how big the bulls are in that area. If anyone has seen any 330 plus around that area

There's alot of pressure thoughout the Sierra Madres throughout the entire season, from September through the cow seasons in November. Lots of easy motorized access means heavy pressure throughout.

330 is a hell of a bull, and is really asking alot of a general hunt area with extreme road densities and heavy hunting pressure. Mid 200's is more realistic and raghorns are generally the rule.

Although with any hunt area in Wyoming, anything is possible, but to be honest, if you're seriously looking for 300+ bulls, there are better areas in Wyoming to concentrate on...

Thanks for the info there SouthernWyo. that is some good info but I was hoping for better.I will do my best on scouting somewhere to see what I can round up before season starts.

I was just wondering where would be the best place to camp in these area's.

It really depends on what you want. Lost Creek and Battle Creek Camp grounds should be open if you want a reg camp ground. Lost creek will give you good access to the main roads and less chance to getting into trouble if there is a heavy snow. with all the road access in 21 it's not a bad place to stay. ( I have not heard if LC has been close due to Beetle kill.)

The 1st part of the season it can be hard to find a good campsite near the main roads and away from the campgrounds. Anywhere from Sage creek road down to the Savery Stock drive is going to look like a parking lot. Don't panic when you see all the camps, 90% of the hunters are not going to go over 100 yrd from the road. Most of the camps will be gone by the 19th.

If you hunt areas that are hard to hike and is more than a mile hike you'll be for the most part on your own.

If you like hunting with several thousand other hunters, you'll have a wonderful time. Check the WY G & F stats if you want to see how many guys are hitting these area's. You'll see I'm fairly close...

There ARE plenty of places in there where if you don't get TRAMPLED on by the Elk, then you're in the wrong spot, but these places are the knowledge of a few whom are, like, 70+ years old and maybe built roads in there way back. It's plenty fertile, just very smart beasts exist there, at times, where you are not going to pull a 300+ without good luck or a good old friend.

Rump

Hey guys thanks for the heads up and I will be there during archery hunting season. How is it over bye Hog Park area?

It would be nice to get a nice bull out of there. I will have to do some home work and see what that area has to offer.Thanks for the heads up.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom