Elk units 63 & 64

elkhunterUT

Very Active Member
Just wondering if anyone here has hunted Wyoming elk in units 63 & 64? Also, has anyone bowhunted it early?

What were your experiences on these units and what advice do you have? PM me if you prefer.

Thanks,

Cory

I have hunted it for 18 years, this year was the worst I have seen for total numbers, to many hunters crowded into a small area, you don't see the big bulls you used to. Norm is a 300, and a rare is 350. Bow hunting, you will be hunting resident elk, the last few years there has been no weather to move migratory elk in, off of the Antler ranch and others. This year I seen close to 800 head holding on the Antler with no snow to push them down.

Huck has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Too many people crowded into too small of an area due mainly to access issues. Not a bad area but dealing with all the people sucks! Have even heard horse back hunters deal with large crowds as well. Not really an area I hunt anymore due to these reasons.

with unit 63 you get the Oct. 1 opener.You can hunt the elk up higher on the Forest land.Like WYO stated in 64 a lot of hunters crammed into a small area.I'd take that 63/64 early tag ( Oct 1 opener ) every year also if i could get it.

Thanks guys for the responses.

Has anwyone bowhunted these units? I imaging the crowding is less during the bowhunt???

If I drew the tag I would definitely hunt it first with archery equipment and then return Oct. 1 for the rifle opener.

Thanks again,

Cory

A friend of mine drew that tag a couple of years ago. I went up with him on his last try to get a elk. It was some time in the middle of Oct. He went up in Sept for the bow hunt had a chance at a few bulls but they were already herded up and had a hard time getting close to them. He went in late Sept I suggest going in the first of the bow hunt you might have a better chance at something good. The rifle hunt was ok he ended up harvsting a nice 6pt bull around 330' also watch out for bears saw alot of sign and ran into a local guy from Thermoplis who said they have alot in that area (black and grizzly) he hunted in unit 63 mostly. Anyways hope this might help? I've been putting in for that unit also and can't draw it yet. I have max elk points for non-res hope the odds get better this year Good Luck, Marc

Lots of grizzlies moving in and several wolves in the area, watchout cause the grizzlies seem to get lower every year. last year they(G&F) were trying to trap some that were breaking into cabins.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom