Elk vs. Wolves

J

jamaro

Did you guys see that article with Dutch Salmon that said that wolves have had no effect on the Elk populations and that there traditional primary prey is coues deer.... Well, if that is the case then maybe they should have put them in more Couesy Habitat...

You can find a link to the article half way down my page...
www.thenewmexicosportsman.com

What a joke, I think he is trying to snowball the outfitters by say that wolves to key on elk...

Jason

As I remember the whole reason that they put the wolves in the Gila, was because there were abundant elk to feed them, and supposedly they would not want to eat beef then. Un- fortunitly, cattle are easier to kill than elk.
The USF&W asked for public comment "before deciding" if they would re-establish, I was outspoken against, even though I knew they had already deciced and may have been fishing for names of future trouble makers.
I told them wolves already existed in the San Mateo Mtns, and re-establishment was a joke, but stated that didn't go along with the agenda they had in mind.
Last year my cousin last 12 head of cattle and his neighbor about the same in the San Mateo Mtns to wolves. The neighbor saw two wolves at 60 yds watching their children playing in their yard.
They called in and the wolves were removed to the Gila. The male wore a collar and they knew him but the female they didn't know, or where she came from. I'm sure she was from the pre-existing pack. They remembursed the neighbor some but not my cousin. The rancher has to prove wolves killed the cattle.

IMO any hunter that favors have the wolves should put themselves on list with the game and fish that can never hold hunting licence again. If they want wolves, the wolves can eat the deer or elk that would have been theirs.
Check out the Idaho blog and how the elk hunters have been affected there by wolves.

The USF&W are holding several meetings in AZ and NM over the next few months. They are tyring to get the 3 strike rule eliminated. Not sure of where and when will have to check the local papers. But I did see this presentation in Gallup in July at a NMG&F meeting. There are plenty of stories of ranchers and people in the area that are affected by this effort.

My feelings are that our grandfathers removed them for a reason. There is a place for wolves but it is not in NM or AZ - too many people too many cattle too many sheep.

I do not think it would do any good but we can try - go to the meetintgs and voice to eliminate the program.

These anti wolve posts are never ending and a joke, if you go over the General hunting section with the post of wolf eats man (or somthing along those lines) you can see the discussion that just took place.

I think it's a joke that you'd say I should give up my tag, cause I support the reintroduction of wolves. In that case I think you should give up your tags due to the fact you drive a vehicle and can kill "my" elk with your truck on the highways.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Mntman,

C'mon now, do you really think that's a fair comparison? I've been driving my "truck" through elk and deer habitat for thirty years now, but have yet to ever hit either an elk or a deer. I know it happens, but for most people, it's probably less than a once-in-a-lifetime event.

On the other hand, I've read studies where a pack of wolves averages four or five kills per week, which would equate to more than two hundred per year.

Now compare this number by opening up the NMDGF Big Game Proclamation and checking out the average number of tags issued for each species per unit.

When was the last time in your hunting experiences that you saw too many elk or deer? I haven't encountered that problem yet.

Call me greedy, but personally, I'd rather have those elk and deer left in the populations that I hunt.

that guy is trying to pull a blind fold over some peoples eyes i am from idaho and just had a horrible experience with these wolves running every animal out of a huge area that is mostly unhunted with great feed and lots of water. wolves absolutely key on elk and if this guy is trying to say they prefer small game they should talk to the fish and game in yellowstone who has a pack of wolves that primarily kills buffalo so this liberal wolf lover is a liar. the wolves need to be controlled ot they will wipe out the elk then the deer then whatever is left. almost all wolf pups live and the packs of wolves grow ver quickly in idaho the fish and game had stop counting due to recourses and they don't really want people to know how many there truly is. i have talk to ranchers who have killed 40 wolves in a year, and i fish and game agent freind of mine wouldn't give me a number but said it was way more than tha we have a serious problem and something needs to be done

>Mntman,
>
>C'mon now, do you really think
>that's a fair comparison?
>I've been driving my "truck"
>through elk and deer habitat
>for thirty years now, but
>have yet to ever hit
>either an elk or a
>deer. I know it
>happens, but for most people,
>it's probably less than a
>once-in-a-lifetime event.

You are right, I was just making a point. It's ridiculous to take away someones tags that support wolves(I know he was probably just trying to make a point too).
Just let me know when/who/how some one has given anyone permission to decide which animals (species) live and killed off?
If they were managed like any other big game species by the states, all these stories of wolves killing off entire populations of elk, deer etc... would come to an end and all of US HUNTERS would have another tag to put in for.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom