Elk wounding question

Kain467

I will apologize for the length of the setup in the question but I think germane to the question. Short version is I had a dozen elk come by me Thursday that were shot out lower on the mountain (I found out after). I was on my way back to the truck when I heard elk up and to the right of me and ran/walked 400 ish yards back up the hill to a bowl approx 400 yards across just in case. 2 minutes after I got there I saw the lead cow for about 20 yards to my right then behind brush. 10 other cows/spikes followed and the lead cow crossed in front of me between brush (3' opening about 100 yards away) just as I saw the bull take up the rear. to the right. Counted points and small 5x5 and figured they would all follow the lead. They did and all moving quickly. I waited for the bull and thought he may have taken a detour as there was clearly more time between him following and the rest of the heard and he trotted quickly across the opening. I fired, saw blood in my scope and his momentum carried him through the opening while he spun. I could see his right neck and part of his head and he was turned almost directly away from me but obscured otherwise. He then stepped to his left and I could not see anything. That felt like forever but in reality 1-2 seconds. At the shot the herd ran back towards the bull.

Everything else that follows I could not see and where my questions comes in. Within about 30 seconds or so I heard something large fall and 2 loud groans in quick succession. I processed in my minds eye a bull down and death groan(s). I waited 10 minutes and snuck up the 100 yards.

As I got to the opening in the brush and about to enter the opening I thought 2 things - I wish the sun would not be in my face and visualized where he should be laying. I snuck around the corner and no bull. I looked up as I saw the bedded bull turn his upright head 30' away and took off like a loaded spring. No struggle and full speed. He went around the bush he was bedded and I ran up to see pieces of his antlers glistening in a thicket as he left and he was gone.

Backed out and gave it a few hours - literally could not find anything after the bed when we returned (no blood at all). I've beat myself up over this and 2 things. Should have made a better initial shot and should have assumed the elk was not only not dead but would run and prepared accordingly.

So the question is - what did I hear? Obviously the falling was the elk bedding down hard. What were the groans? Is that indicative of a certain shot or hit? Should those sounds told me of the type of hit? Appreciate any help/thoughts anyone can provide.

Thanks.

Maybe a hit to far back, liver hit. My brother and I shot a buck years ago when Utahs muzzy hunt ran into November. He was hit in the liver, 8" of snow was the only reason we were able to track him 1.5 - 2 miles. He was still alive 14 hrs later when found, just to weak to move at that point

My one and only bow hunt, I hit a cow elk through the liver. Fortunately, she bled profusely and laid down to die after 200 yards. But the thing I will always remember was the wailing. I have never heard such a disturbing sound by any animal. My dad was on the opposite side of this large basin, probably half a mile away, and he could easily hear her cries as well.

It took her 5 minutes to die. 5, very long minutes...

Hunt long enough and it’s going to happen. Even a perfect close broadside shot can go bad when an animal spooks right when the trigger is pulled.

Elk are tough critters. I have shot elk that have been shot through the vitals a year before (found the bullet in the opposite shoulder and the scared wound channel through the lungs).
Was on a limited entry hunt helping and the bull that was harvested had been shot 2 times by other hunters 4 days apart. This bull appeared to be fine when the hunter took it down. 2 of the Recovered bullets were not his.
It’s not a good feeling to have this happen..
You’re not alone. Spend some extra time shooting from field positions to get better for next time.
That elk is probably still alive - hard to know.

Same thing happened to me in Utah. 72 yards with muzzy and dropped him. He was thrashing around. Walked over to him and he got up and ran off before I can even get a round off. Since it was evening i
Let him go. Tracked him the next morning for 4 miles. It had rained right before I shot. Never saw him again until I picked up my trail cam and saw him drinking water at 4:25 am. His other 2 bulls with him drank at 2:15 am. He went 4 miles in opposite direction and came back 4 to drink! Punched my tag and came home. Sick was an understatement

Sounds like a case of inexperience, which we all have done. Not that you are inexperienced, but that you hadn't experienced this situation before. I've heard a sort of death groan before, I would say it is pretty distinct, but its sounds like you heard something similar here and your bull wasn't breathing his last breath. Weird.

Given you had a gun, I would have likely done the same as you and moved in. Its unfortunate he wasn't where you presumed him to be laying to get a follow up, it happens man.

Probably a liver shot I'd guess. Lethal but not instant. I'm sorry you couldn't locate him.

I also wondered if it might have been possible that your bullet went thru the bull and hit a cow. So, either 2 bulls or possibly 1 bull and a cow. If you went to the spot where you first heard something fall, and there was nothing there, that rules out that possibility. If not, I also wonder if there was an elk lying dead where you heard those sounds. Not likely, but possible.

In 42 years of hunting, I have never seen blood in my scope when firing on a animal.. That being said, was there blood in the bed where he had laid down?
Sorta related...

I shot a cow once, heard her hit the ground and started patting myself on the back. It was about 430pm. I grabbed my knife and she jumped up and ran down the hill. No problem, I'll just wait until she dies. When I went to track her about 30 minutes later, there was a circle of blood about 3' in diameter. I figured to find her just a few feet off the treeline.

Nope.
When I did find her, it was about 9pm, alive enough to raise her head. It was 130am and -14 degrees when I got back to camp with her. The most work, and the most reward, I have ever had hunting elk. There were so many elk tracks, the only way I could track her was by blood. Musta been a hundred or so elk.

Sounds like a liver shot! My first elk he took a step right as I shot and hit him in the liver he went a mile and a half according to Danny our guide from his GPS we only found a spot of blood the size of a quarter about 100yds before we found him and finished him off

IMG_3183.jpeg

Never seen blood in the scope...but have seen dust fly off the shoulder or a nice ripple in the hide when I hit em with my 8mm Mag...
Yea, I have seen a large breath of steam come out of the mouth of a bull through the scope, but never blood.

Never seen blood in the scope...but have seen dust fly off the shoulder or a nice ripple in the hide when I hit em with my 8mm Mag...
I almost bought an 8mm mag in the early to mid 80s. (I opted for an M70 sporter in .300 instead). Not many choices for bullet selection back then. How did that work out for you?

I've seen blood through the scope after shooting animals on multiple occasions.

A rushed shot at 400 yards and an elk isn't recovered isn't a big surprise. That elk could be dead close to were he shot it, could have died a mile or more away or is alive and well today.

I watched a guy shoot at a bull more than 20 times this year. I watched the bull fall down 3 different times. One time it was laying on its back with its feet still up in the air. He was still shooting at that bull 90 minutes later. I'm not sure if he ever recovered it.

Elk are tough animals but if you hit them in the vitals with an appropriate bullet and with adequate ft/lbs energy, they are not hard to kill. If you hit them with a bad shot or the wrong bullets or without enough ft/lbs of energy, they won't die easy.

“Elk are tough animals but if you hit them in the vitals with an appropriate bullet and with adequate ft/lbs energy, they are not hard to kill. If hit them with a bad shot or the wrong bullets or without enough ft/lbs of energy, they won't die easy”

It’s as simple as that. The golden triangle of putting an animal down for keeps.

trotting quickly at 400 yards for the shot.... yeah thats actually the animal you deserve to not recover. take better shots

But the elk doesn’t deserve it.

Guys we are talking to ourselves and to the wall. The OP is long gone.

Last edited:
Not defending the OP in his shot selection but he did post the shot was only 100 yards through a 3' gap in the brush.

Not defending the OP in his shot selection but he did post the shot was only 100 yards through a 3' gap in the brush.
maybe it does read that way. i thought the perspective was from the 400 yards and the opening/shot was sight of the elk form there.

im just being a dick anyway, so im not editing any of my comment

I've seen blood through the scope after shooting animals on multiple occasions.

A rushed shot at 400 yards and an elk isn't recovered isn't a big surprise. That elk could be dead close to were he shot it, could have died a mile or more away or is alive and well today.

I watched a guy shoot at a bull more than 20 times this year. I watched the bull fall down 3 different times. One time it was laying on its back with its feet still up in the air. He was still shooting at that bull 90 minutes later. I'm not sure if he ever recovered it.

Elk are tough animals but if you hit them in the vitals with an appropriate bullet and with adequate ft/lbs energy, they are not hard to kill. If you hit them with a bad shot or the wrong bullets or without enough ft/lbs of energy, they won't die easy.
lol…..it was laying on it’s back laughing…

I reload a 225 grain bullet ....no problems..bought 100 rds many years ago and still have half of them don't do much shooting with that howitzer..it kills on both ends..
I almost bought an 8mm mag in the early to mid 80s. (I opted for an M70 sporter in .300 instead). Not many choices for bullet selection back then. How did that work out for you?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom