Elk?

CAforkedhorn

Long Time Member
So I took my wife and kids to Pismo beach for 5 days, and on the way home, by the Jack Ranch Cafe, we saw a whole herd of elk off the side of the road. Does anyone know if these elk are part of some hunting ranch, I never new that there was elk only 1 1/2 hours from home. My wife was stoked as she has never seen an elk before. I was wondering if anyone had any info on them.

Piper, how's your period?

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-08 AT 11:10PM (MST)[p]There are tags for those elk, however, they seem to flee to the Twissleman Ranch during the season. He charges roughly $15,000 for a trespass fee. I know a guy that has been drawn for cow elk tags twice on the Carizzo Plains and he filled both tags. I don't put in for that hunt specifically because I will not pay a trespass fee to hunt the states property! It is a crazy price for the landowner to expect just because the elk know they've got somewhat of a refuge.

Steve

There are quite often antelope in the same area and you can see them just off the road a few miles west of the Jack Ranch.

Being you guy are talking elk on private, i know that and where there are a lot of Tule Elk in the Hills ranging South of Livermore to that same range east of Milpetas. One of the big landowners, 36 sections, on the east side sells hunts but other areas also have lots of Elk that, to my knowledge, never get hunted. I'm sure that there are other huntable #'s of these awesome animals in other places as well.

It sure would be nice to see some co-operation between land owners and the F&G to allow a few tags go into the general drawing for Big Game, allowing Joe Blow average hunter a chance at a once in a lifetime Tule Elk hunt at reasonable cost. Grizzly Island's odds of drawing a bull tag are just near impossible. Lets pay back the sportsman that funded the project to begin with instead of letting these animals die of old age!

Joey

ps. OH! those tags need to go to those with max pref points! lol

Joey

There are scattered tule elk herds all along the coastal mountains. Fish and Game opened up a new zone last year and expanded another zone. Many of the elk that you are seeing from the freeway are now withing a huntable zone. Private property is always going to be private property and they have the right to charge a tresspass fee or not allow hunting. The La Panza zone (the one that was expanded) has a good chunk of public property (fish and game, blm, forest service) that holds elk and the draw hunters are finding their elk on these public grounds. The last 3 years have been very good for public access and success. Fish and Game is always trying to establish new hunts when it is possible.

Joe

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom