Elko, NV Big Buck Contest.

fatrooster

Long Time Member
On December 12th the Watering Hole in Spring Creek, Nevada held its 10th annual Big Buck contest at the Basque Hall in Elko. It was a great day with family, friends, big bucks and great grub. We have three categories being Archery, Rifle and Youth with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes in each category. Also, we auction off certain items to help pay for the event in the next upcoming year and also draw names from a jar to give away prizes to each person that bought a ticket for the event. Here are some pictures.

First we have a picture of our kitchen crew who served up chili and Bar-B-Qued pulled pork along with other dishes.
4b2c5b09444d9dae.jpg

Next is a picture of our Sound/MC/Announcer/Karaoke man Travis sitting behind the sound equipment amongst the prizes, auction items and drawing gifts.
4b2c5b7245d5a636.jpg

Here we have the 1st place winner of the rifle category holding the winning 1st place rifle and his antlers.

4b2c5ca84dd8aae7.jpg

Next we have Skeeter who has in the past been a winner with a previous Big Buck. 2nd place winner.
4b2c5d4750afd10e.jpg

And here is our 3rd place winner.
4b2c5dea55cb5fcd.jpg

In between category events the auctioneer Justin McDermit went to work auctioning off items many of which are donated handmade items such as knives, paintings etc.

4b2c5e5b57ddbdd2.jpg

Next we go to archery and see the first place winner Jerome Semper with his big buck. If you look closely you may be able to see that his G-3 on the left side was folded over and kept growing in this position.
4b2c5f4a5ac5cd90.jpg

Here is a picture of the second place winner and boy what a whopper of a buck he had.
4b2c603460844428.jpg

Third place went to Ed Harris a Taxidermist who donated some head mounts to the event. I love this picture with him and these girls with the one girl sticking her tongue out, ha ha.
4b2c610a63174a66.jpg

Even though we didn't have a muzzle loader category this year this gentleman brought his muzzle loader rack in anyway for show and tell and ended up getting a prize.
4b2c63086b667874.jpg

Then we move to the Youth category and I can tell you that the Youth always bring in some very nice bucks.
Here is the 1st place winner with his newly won rifle and his antlers.
4b2c63576c0c23f8.jpg

Second place winner with his rifle and antlers.
4b2c64286ee15d78.jpg

Third place winner. I realize that this guy is no youth but his son was not available so his Dad accepted his prize. This is Dave Gowan who has himself or his family members have almost always placed somewhere in the winners of our contest. He is a great hunter and also a sponser of the event. Thanks Dave.
4b2c68970613e8bc.jpg

Here are a few of the gifts given in the drawing.
This young man seems to be happy with this calendar he won.
4b2c65a479b41dcc.jpg

And here he is again with a rifle he won. I think he looked happier with the calendar.
4b2c66177ae85502.jpg

This young lady is Bailey Betancourt who took first place in the Youth division last year with a whopper buck. Here she is with a rifle she won this year.
4b2c66897c6adddf.jpg

This young man won the smallest buck
category a couple of years ago and this year won a rifle.
4b2c67307df116b4.jpg

Here is Mr. Holcomb holding his newly won rifle.
4b2c67b903e54f02.jpg

Great pictures and who won what etc. Sounds like it was a great success again this year Drew, maybe next year I can make it out there to just enjoy the show and visit.

Last Sat. the 12th I was at a sold out show here not far from my house, went to see a local gal who make it big time in Nashville. What a performance.
Heidi Newfield use to be with Trick Pony C&W group but she is on her own now with her back up group of musicians.

Thanks for the update on the Big Buck Contest.

Brian

This is Jack Constable who with his wife Kenda and Kenda's sister Janarae Edwards owne the Watering Hole and are responsible for this event. Thanks guys for giving us another great year of BIG BUCKS!!!!
4b2c69ad0c93d2de.jpg

Here is Kenda Constable selling event sweatshirts.
4b2c6e322058ad60.jpg

Here is Janarae Edwards with her goodlookin' husband.
4b2c6b291150d2b5.jpg

The winner for this years smallest buck category was won by this young man who recieved a small drinking mug to be used for free draft beer at the Watering Hole for one full year. To me he looks like he can really drink some beer.
4b2c6b9312659157.jpg

In addition to Jerome Semper winning a new bow for the biggest buck in the Archery category he also won biggest buck overall and recieves a BIG drinking mug good for free draft beer at the Watering Hole for one year. I know for a fact that this big Basqo can drink and between these two guys getting free beer for one year there is a chance that the bar might go broke!
4b2c6d6d1df9a30e.jpg

We had a baby in our area that required surgery and we auctioned off a homemade afghan and this gentleman was kind enough to buy it for $150.00. Thankyou sir for your kind and unselfish donation and support for this young baby.
4b2c73ce35871443.jpg

Here is Monster Muleys very owne "TwistedAntler". She also won a RACKS calendar and looks pretty happy with it, ha ha.
4b2c75003838229b.jpg

Here is TwistedAntler with her significant other who is another Monster Muley inhabitant "Archerbug."
4b2c75ea3d27763c.jpg

Congradulations to Ms. Holcomb for winning a camping potty bucket. Dang, I was hoping I'd win that one!
4b2c76e8405d3316.jpg

This young man had a sprayer on his water bottle and every time I tried to get close to him to take his picture he would spray my camera. So i took the photo out of gun range.
4b2c77d646822aac.jpg

These two goofy lookin' guys are Jerod and Ralph Betancourt who were our official 2009 antler measurers. Which brings up another point, we do not measure Boone & Crockett style due to the large amount of antlers and time constraints. We add up outside width, height and number of points so if you see some antlers falling behind in winning placement when they look like they should of won, this is why.
4b2c789a4857dd69.jpg

At the end of the day everyone was tired and it was time to call it a day.
4b2c7a4d4e9f747e.jpg

I'd like to take this time to thank all of our sponsors no matter how large or small the donation because without you none of this would be possible.

Hey those are some good pics. WHO'S THAT LOVELY LADY IN PERLS WITH MONKEY BOY LOL that was a great time, wish I could have stayed longer

............YY
.......___Q
...../(....)
......//..\\

wow looks like fun. I might haft to come next year!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

i sure miss those kinda home town events haven't been to one since i moved to Oregon.....

Thanks for posting up pics and thanks to Jack for another great contest.I always enter but never expect to win.

I was blown away when he called my name as the winner in the rifle catagory!! I expected that at any min. someone would wisper in his ear and he would annouce that there had been a mistake.... but it didnt happen.
BTW, all the credit for that buck goes to Dave Gowan too.....

GOOD JOB DREW. IT WAS A FUN TIME AS USUAL !!!!
THANKS TO THE WATERING HOLE FOR PUTTING THIS ON EVERY YEAR. I KNOW THE YOUTH REALLY ENJOY THIS EVENT !!!

I was there for this and I am still trying to figure how the bucks wee judged. There was a bad (_!_) 189 inch typical on the floor that didnt even place. They must not go by score?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/nv_hunter/nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif[/IMG]

nv_hunter, you are exactly right. We cannot score Boone and Crockett method because it takes entirely too long. There are just too many entries so we use a much easier method. We count the total points, add the outside width, put a ruler accross the tippy top of the antlers and measure from the ruler to the top of the head and again add this measurement. Add all of this up and it is your score. It is true that some great racks don't even place and many times a smaller rack will out score a bigger rack but this is kind of a good thing because you never know who's going to actually win the contest until its all over. This encourages more people to bring in thier antlers and participate. Many people do not bring in thier antlers because they know someone has killed a 200" buck but in our contest a 180 buck might beat a 200" buck which gives everybody a chance. We have discussed this over and over through the years but have found no way to make it feasible to measure Boone & Crockett.
fatrooster.

Oh ok that makes more sense. I have thought about having a large fishtank with water in it. Submerse the rack and the one that displaces the most water wins? Thats quick and truely tells who has the largest antlers. Only draw back is bucks in velvet.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/nv_hunter/nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif[/IMG]

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom