Encore Muzzleloader handgun loads.

Yakatak

I ended up with two 209x50 Encore barrels over the years and have had a thought of making a 15" pistol barrel out of one to use for back pack hunting on Utah's Any Legal weapon seasons. I have a 30-06 barrel with a high power scope that I'll also carry for longer shots but if given an opprotunity at a close animal I'd like to have an option of taking it with a Muzzleloader. My question is, are there anyone out there that is presently hunting with a Muzzy Pistol and what type of loads are you using and with what type of results?
Regards, Yak.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-11 AT 06:38PM (MST)[p]I also have a Encore ML in handgun configuration. I bought a 20" carbine barrel and took the hacksaw to it, chucked it in the lathe and cleaned it up. They are a handfull with elk loads. I ended up with 80gr 3f T7 and a 250 gr Precision Rifle Dead Center sabot. I recommend getting a stout scope mount if you use optics. I had a 2x Leupy on it and it did not last long. I was keeping 2" groups at 100 yards. Not great but good enough for a handgun. I have not put a new scope on it. It's been sitting for a few years now.

I should try it with BH209. That stuff shoots great in TC Encore, Omega, Triumph guns. Now you have me thinking about it.

Thanks for your advise. I'm gonna give it a try for sure. about my only hesitation is the possibility of getting partially burned powder blow back from a short barrel but if i start out with low charges and work my up it should be ok. I'm generally not to far from a pair of glass' anyways. Thanks again hnt...

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom