Encore

J

Jess

I am really wanting to buy the thompson -center 50 cal encore muzzleloader.Does anybody out there own one and how do you like it?What type of bullet are you using and powder charge.?

Just a note to ask you what kind of effective range are you getting.I have heard they are deadly accurate up to 200 yards.I have a thompson-center-50 cal (thunder hawk)and it seems we dont get along to good but I love shooting it.I have been shooting 2 pyrodex 50 grain pellets with Barnes 250 grain bullets.Any suggestions on making my patterns tighter would be appreciated.Thank you

Here's a couple:
1. When using Barnes Bullets, use their aligner tool. I think it does help.
2. If you are married, steal some of your wife's finger nail polish (paint works too) and put a drop on the end of the muzzle right where a land is. Then center 1 petal on that mark every time you shoot. This ensures consistancy, and consistancy is accuracy in these guns.
3. Swab your barrel the same between shots. I use both sides of a damp patch and one side of a dry between shots.
Hope this helps some!

We too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We, and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees.-Franklin Roosevelt

Hey Jess, I haven't shot my Encore over 150 yards but there is no reason with three pellets that 200 yards isn't within reason. I've got two Firehawks and have never had an accuracy problem with either. I shoot 100 grains (2 pellets) of Pyrodex and a 240 grain XTP bullet in both.

Hey sheephunter:
Have you fired 3 pellets out of your Thunderhawk.(150 grain).?In your opinion is 100 grain effective for an ole bull say 100 yards.?(assuming it is a well placed shot).

T/C does not reccommend using loads greater than 100-grains in the Thunderhawk so to answer your question, no. Two pellets are plenty for any critter that you are within 100 yards of. I've killed moose, elk, musk ox and bears with this load as has my wife. Get the bullet in the heart or lungs and it's over.

Hey sheephunter
Thanks for the advise,I sure wish I could figure out what I am doing wrong.If you swab the barrel every 3rd or 4th shot will that make a difference?My shots look like a first time dart thrower.Thanks for your time.

I just went out and bought some PTX 250GR SABOTS,if it doesnt snow tonight I will go tomorrow and load up with some 100 grain pellets and see what happens.Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom