enough bullet for moose

R

ruby

I shoot a 30-06 with 150 gr barnes TSX bullets with 59 grains of Big Game powder at about 3000 FPS. I have killed elk, red stag, many mule and blacktail deer and tons of hogs with this round. I am heading to northern BC for moose and goat this fall and looking for some opinions if this is enough bullet for moose. I really don't want to change if I don't have to, but thinking maybe some 180 gr partitions or tsx might be a better choice.

Thoughts or experiences?

Thanks

Moose are big tough animals with thick hide and heavy bones. I was amazed at how thick the hide is on them, that being said, I shot a Maine moose with a 7mm Remington mag using 160g partitions at about 150 yards and both shots passed through the animal.

You would probably be fine with the 150g tsx, especially on the goat, but the 180's would probably be better suited for moose. BC moose are big animals, good luck and don't forget to post some pictures.

Jody

THE 180 PARTITIONS WOULD BE MY FIRST CHOICE ON MOOSE. I HAVE TAKEN 2 MOOSE WITH THAT SAME NOSLER PARTITION BULLET......IT HAS BONE CRUSHING ABILITY. THIS MAY COME IN HANDY IN CASE YOUR SHOT IS NOT PERFECT. ALASKA WAS FUN !!!!..................YD.

Your load is fine in the TSX because you will not lose any weight. For example my moose was shot w/ 175 grain 7mm Partition through the hump (spine) at 40 yards. Went completely through and was lodged in the skin...weighed 112 grains. Your load will weigh 149-150 grains in the same scenario...those TSXs penetrate. Couple years back my buddy shot two cow elk w/ same bullet...killed both cows (by accident). If your current load works use it.

My wife had no problem tipping over her moose with 130g soft point .270 bullet. Whatever you use, just slip it in there behind the shoulder, and he will be finished.

The 150 gr TSX will be fine. These bullets out penetrate traditional bullets of similar weight. You will get all the penetration you need.
If you were starting from scratch, I would recommend the 168 gr or 180 gr TSX as somewhat better, but not enough to warrant changing a load in which you have confidence.
You have plenty of gun and a load that will perform well.
Bill

Make a good shot, the TXS will do the job! Good luck on your hunt!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I'm with YD. Half a ton of hide muscle and bone - I'd go for for more bullet. The one bullet that people depend on above all others is the Nosler Partition. If you are using a guide I'd see what he thinks. I'd bet he/she has seen more moose dropped than the rest of use combined, and then some.

your good to go with that bullet/rifle combo. my dad hunted a lot of his younger years in bc with a 243 and killed quite a few moose with it. he used 85 grain speers, and put them right behind the shoulder. the lungs on the moose would be mush. although this is not a rifle I would use with the knowledge I have now. it is plenty if you make your shot count. my dad was an exceptional shot, quite a bit better than I am. and this was his major success with the 243.

What Timberhunter says a 243 is plenty for a moose and no one complains but I say the same thing a year ago and people call me stupid. Needless to say he is right, I know a guy who only hunts with his 243. He has taken just about everything in the lower 48 with that rifle.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

you will be fine with that, my Dad hunts moose with a 270wsm in 130 grain.
Yes bigger bullets will perform better but either way the moose will die.

Where we go up there in AK the locals shoot moose with 22's...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

>you will be fine with that,
>my Dad hunts moose with
>a 270wsm in 130 grain.
>
>Yes bigger bullets will perform better
>but either way the moose
>will die.
>
>Where we go up there in
>AK the locals shoot moose
>with 22's...
>
>Mntman
>
>"Hunting is where you prove yourself"
>
>
>
>>wah wah wah......
>a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014
>to anyone that commits suicide.
>
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
>There are many things that would
>be nice to wish for
>or say but then I
>would be just like him.
>

+1 plenty of natives killin moose with 22mags

I would not recommend moving up to the 180 gr TSX. In opinion, the 150 grain TSX will give you a slight edge on speed over the 180 grain to ensure good bullet expansion. Not saying the 180 grain will not work adequately, but for myself, I would limit the use of the heavier bullet to the more powerful cartridges.

I've been using the Barnes TSX 165's from Federal for years in my -06.Love Barnes bullets.I guess they changed when Rem. bought Barnes. Fed. makes their own copper now.I have 180's,150's but don't use them. 165's have plenty of speed and knockdown power,for most anything.And they shoot great in my 700.
Going to try Noslers and Hornady Rem. copper now too.
My lead stuff is for back-up and growing.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-14 AT 04:48PM (MST)[p]My buddy and I killed two giant alaskan moose with 7mm's pushing 168 bergers. A 30 06 should be more than enough. Keep loading them full of lead until they tip over. They are very tough animals.

tsx 180gr with your gun should be fine. 1st shot behind the shoulder in the boiler room. After that aim for front shoulder to drop him

They will both kill moose easily enough, but, if I were in Alaska, I would carry the 180s just in case I had to fire on a grizzly, and even then I would feel under-gunned. It happens.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom