Epic performance

M

mathewsman

Is the jury still out on the new epic expanables or does anyone, now that the archery hunts are in full swing, have any experiences with them? I personally like the reapers, but that gargantuane cutting diameter has got to put a hurtn' on whatever it hits (assuming the ferrule holds up-I think that was the biggest skeptasism expressed by most myself included).

Mathewsman i have personaly shot 3 animal's this year with them. All 3 are on film the entrence is not huge but the exit is atleast for my equipment. And the wound channel is scarry almost like it was shot with a small caliber rifle. Iv'e spent the last 2 day's shooting fixed blade's getting ready for idaho what a pain in the butt. If i didn't shoot the epic's i would shoot the Reaper's as yourself they also are a good head. Good luck jim.

Hey Nate, you actually need to be able to hit something first to see the devastating damage they do. Being that you will probably miss this year this questions is irrelavent. Ha ha, Sorry I cant go Thursday, football is calling me!

4a9c36664223e66b.jpg

I shot this cow at 63 yards with the Epic. She fell 27 yards from from where I shot her. She was standing broadside and it was a complete passthrough.
The entrance wound wasn't as big as it should have been, but it was fully deployed by the time it severed the top of the heart. Exit wound was massive.
There was no tracking needed with her falling so close, but there was a nice blood trail on both sides of her.
Aside from the "not fully deploying on impact" the Epic made short work on my cow and hopefully will assist me with getting a bruiser buck.
Good luck yall and keep checking that wind. 1shot1kill.

Whoah, hang on hang on! I'm one for one this year. How about you northslope??? Ha ha! If you want I could refresh your memory.

I killed a nice buck a week ago last saturday. 57 yard downhill shot, pass through. The wound channel looked more like a gunshot than a typical archery kill. Very impressive. I have shot expandables since the late 90's, started with rockets, then the rage slipcams and now the Epek's. I am impressed, to say the least.

I killed a Utah Antelope opening day with an Epek. The exit hole looked like it was made with a 50 cal muzz. Blood trail would have fit well into a slasher movie.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-09 AT 10:40AM (MST)[p]here is another exit hole made by the epek
DSC_0186.jpg

Im sold!!!

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to report back to you on my trials and testing of the X3, for what it's worth. Hope this may be helpful and not too redundant as I realize some of this may be already on the table. As with most new products, there is usually a learning curve and subsequent modification. I am very impressed with the concept and overall craftsmanship in production of these broadheads though after my time in testing I am inclined to keep shopping for the one that fits my needs. Let me explain?

With broadhead performance, I find there are several criteria that must be met to satisfy most ethical hunter?s needs. These are as follows and somewhat in order of importance:

*Accuracy-consistent grouping w/ POI identical to practice field points @ all
yardages (the other parameters don't matter if you can't hit the sweet spot)
*Mechanical function-Deploy on impact for full cutting diameter and do not deploy in
flight
*Capable of reasonably steep angle of impact without deflection, perhaps 20 degrees
*Durability-this would not only be in a hunting scenario but also through the course of
practicing (I am convinced that practicing/sacrificing the real heads rather than so called
practice heads is a mandatory to proof for problems and most mock heads do not
simulate the true trajectory of the real deal anyway)
*Maintain set position during hunt-Rage broadheads will soon be famous for deploying
in the quiver, in the truck, against the weeds/ground/yourself while still hunting,
stalking and in transit?this is first hand info after some 31 days a field as a trial
*Quiet flight-no explanation needed
*Nonbarb construction for state compliance and easy arrow removal during practice

Methods and results:

*Accuracy
(9) 3 shot rounds were executed with the head in the locked configuration. (1) 100 gr. broadhead and two 100 gr. field points per round with 3 rounds @ 30 yd., 3 rounds @ 40 yds. and 3 rounds @ 50 yds. They were completed over the term of 2 hours to take fatigue out of the equation. There was no difference in POI for the X3 relative to the field points. This is what I've been looking for. I then shot four rounds of the ?live? broadhead with the locked one and the arrow flight was identical. Right On!

*Mechanical Function
Here?s where the first problem became evident. The fourth round was the only one that deployed on impact as evidenced through the paper face. Without going into detail, subsequent shots led me to believe this occurred as a product of the o ring stretching out and later by virtue of hitting a denser part of the target. The first three impacts did not actuate the blades until approximately the full length of the broadhead was imbedded in the target. The fifth or sixth round, with the live head, resulted in the blades deploying in flight and an 18? low off target miss, impacting the dense insert of a 3D target below. This was the first of 4 shots in 11 that deployed prematurely usually coinciding with used o rings in an effort to achieve an ?entry wound?. This was where I first noted that the inside mandrel of the broadhead compresses and flares at the leading edge (magnet end) and at the base (blade pivot end) enough to jeopardize or even prevent the exterior sleeve portion to slide over the armature.

At this point it may be prudent to note details of my rig as a test bed for the broadhead. I shoot a Hoyt Katera @ 86#, a 30 ?? draw length with 348 gr. total made up weight Goldtip arrows which chrono @ about 346 fps with approximately 86 ft/lb of kinetic energy. I realize this setup is quite demanding when it comes to mechanical broadhead performance, not only in terms of durability and function but also stability/accuracy. You?ve got the stability and accuracy thing wired tight. In an effort to improve trajectory and drag I build arrows with 2.5? fletches @ 2 degrees and the 3X has the best flight characteristics of the 6 that I've tried.

Angle of Impact
This feature is well provided for and expected performance should be that of any fixed blade broadhead unless the problem of late deployment causes the dreaded ?over the top style kickout?

Durability
Through the course of subsequent testing the dilemma that presented itself was 2 fold. First, in order for the blades to deploy and create an entry wound, the impact would have to be great enough as to deform the interior of the 3X. Secondly and factored by the first the o ring ?strength? varied the consistency of wanted deployment and unwanted deployment. All said, the bottom line is, there is a very narrow margin, if any, between proper deployment on impact and deployment in flight. This is probably more acute at my bow?s speed and may be less significant @ speeds under 300 fps. I proofed this speculation by shooting through moose and deer hide on my layered target noting that only 4 out of 8 shots created an entrance wound when using a new o ring as instructed. My conclusions are that the aluminum armature may be better suited for the task if milled out of a higher tensile strength material such as 6061 if it isn't already. I am pleased to note that the blades are very strong which surprised me given their narrow chord. Very satisfactory. If the broadhead is actuated to the closed position with any degree of speed you will develop small nicks in the leading edge near the magnet position. No blades broke during two shots into 3/4? conveyor belt @ 40 yds. (imbedded almost through and through) but most did break off upon extraction. Needless to say the other components of the broadhead were destroyed. The broadhead was then shot through l side of a 5 gallon bucket with no damage @ 60 yds but when I shot the same head @ 30, the arrow passed through both sides to the fletch and the outer sleeve was trashed but would have been lethal even though not reusable.

Maintain set position
No problems here?Nothing to snag during hunt and short of the occasional deployment due to ?stubbing? the nose of the head against something which you would realize immediately.

Quiet flight
No discernable noise what-so-ever

Non-barb Construction
Done deal. Head removed easily with only broken blades when rotated in a dense medium.

In summary?Two issues arise, at least with my rig as the test bed. Durability is adequate but it is anticipated that the shot, though definitely lethal, would most likely be the only one with that particular head. If it was not damaged by impact with the game, it is likely to be damaged after pass through against rock, wood or even dirt. This speculation is made intentionally disregarding repair and replacement of damaged components as you would not typically do any in field repairs of this nature. I was able to reuse each of 6 broadheads during testing by some file work, some bending and reshaping and ignoring some cracks through blade slots which have very little ?meat? at the weak points. Understanding the weight restrictions for this design, this may be as good as it gets unless there is a material substitute, as suggested, factored by budget restraints...Even so, an ingenious design. I am impressed. It is somewhat analogous to a Browning A5 shotgun. A beautiful example of machine work but maybe too complex and too fine of tolerances for the intended purpose. My $200 Mossberg has functioned more reliably than all 5 of my Brownings .

This brings me to the deal breaker. This is probably not news as I understand there has been substantial effort applied to fine tuning the mechanics of the 3X. The rock and the hard place, as I see it, is providing for consistent deployment on impact without the possibility of early deployment in flight?Possibly configuring the tip for more resistance to trigger the blades with more authority countered by the o ring for retention. In any case, for my application, the second most important factor is in question. I refer to this as the deal breaker as my next hunt is in So. Africa and the necessary confidence in reliability is somewhat questionable. The animals are too costly and to foul a shot and wound an animal is not an option whether by early or late blade deployment. In the meantime, good luck with the new product and perhaps they will be for me down the road with a little more work.

Nice post and very informative.

My Epek x3 simply did not open on entry. I hit the buck a bit forward and had no exit wound. The x3 is great on exit but with no wound channel for the entry I had nearly zero blood. It sucked. I found the buck a week later.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom