Escalante, Utah desert bighorn sheep

davtaiv

I would like to view some desert bighorn sheep. My wife is from escalante so I am there quit often. On days when there is not much going on I'd like to take a ride down to the desert to see some sheep. I don't mind hiking (ten mile round trip is fine) to see some. Where should I start? Any suggestions?

I think the best way for you to actually see sheep is to go with someone who is experienced in spotting them. Maybe you can ask around Escalante for a seasoned sheep partner. My experience is, you will need good optics to locate desert sheep and you will need to know where to look for them. There are a few places on the San Rafael North of Escalante where you can bump into them while riding a 4 wheeler, but most sheep are going to be spotted by finding a good vantage point and glassing, sometimes for hours. I have often gone looking for desert sheep without locating even a ewe. Good Luck.

^^^^^ what he said.
I would add that even in great sheep country it's possible to do everything right and still not see sheep. Sad but true.

Also, in most sheep areas that I've hunted, it would be near impossible to travel 10 miles round-trip in a single day. The terrain is just too tough!

Good luck with your sheep spotting quest.

Zeke

Thanks for the help. Are there desert sheep closer to lake powell down the escalante desert or do they say around the escalante river drainage?

Dav, there are sheep both places, river gorge and around powell. However finding a sheep on the escalante desert is no easy task. I have spent days in the heart of the best sheep country there and not seen a sheep. Hunting the escalante is not as easy as just doing a day hike to find them. You best have quality backpacking gear and be prepared for several days scouting. Water is hard to come by and you will need to know where and how to find it or you can end up dead pretty easy. Water purification system is a must. You should also go with someone who knows the area and has been in before or do a ton of homework. The escalante will kick you where it hurts and leave you dying. Many more than one has not made it out of there alive. That being said, Most of the sheep are on the tops north of the river and not easy to get to from escalante. Its not possible to just run out for a day and see some sheep. Even the easiest spots to access are a day in and a day out. You must know the routes or you will end up turned around, back tracking, ledged up, lost or atleast unable to get to where you need to be, dehydrated and again dead.
I have seen a ram off the hole in the rock road that thought he was a beef cow. So I guess anything is possible.
You could head south out of escalante on the smoky mt road. Get to the burning hills in the K east unit. Or Tibets on the K west, There are sheep there that are a bit easier to get at. Take some gas. Good luck.

+1 Nunya

Just came back from five days down there. Death Hollow is well-named! Lots of water now, but that rock heats up quick. Lots of pour-offs, few established trails, you must be able to rock scramble and not get turned around.

Beautiful county, you might forget to look for sheep!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom