Ethical or Not

S

Spoonful

If you are hunting in the backwoods and come across a trail camera, is it right or wrong to pull out the SD card look at the pics. If you put it back the way you found it does that make it ok? I was faced with this delema over the weekend and would like to know what you guys think and why.

If I'm walking down the street and notice a car with the keys in the ignition, would it be ethical if I took it for a little ride? I will bring it back and fill the tank with gas.

Are cameras supposed to be left unattended on public property? Seems federal lands have laws that cover what you can bring into the property and what can be left behind even on a temporary basis.

I would have no problem looking at the SD card as long as did not alter the position of the camera or cause damage. No harm, no foul. I do not see how this is stealing anything or violating privacy when is public lands.

It ain't your property, leave it the Hell alone.

Unless you are a Law Enforcement officer, working in that particular forest, the legality of leaving something as harmless as a trailcam in the forest, should be none of your damn business.

You know what it is and why the guy left it. Get over it.

When a specific law is passed, which is sure to happen, then you can act as the law provides.

Until that happens, the laws of common sense and common courtesy should apply.

"Y'all ain't had good fetchin' up!"

If your parents taught you right from wrong when they should have, you'd know the answer to this question, and wouldn't need to ask it here.

If it isn't yours, leave it alone!

What would've you have done if a $100 bill was taped to the tree. 80 - 90% of the guys on this site would've put it in their pocket. And then they've would've chastized you for pulling the card out of the camera. Go with whatever yer conscience tells you next time and then it will be between you and that little guy sitting on yer shoulder...

4a9c163405705bbc.jpg

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I am not sure the car analogy works in this situation. I think it is more like somebody looking into your tent. They don't take anything, just look around. How does that sit with you? The simple rule would be, if it's not yours don't touch it.

I have seen people's camera's in the woods and just leave them alone and I would prefer that people do the same for me. That being said, I would rather have someone look at my pictures than steal the camera......

You guys screwed up poaching public herds by getting involved so please do not screw up my right to treat public property as I see fit.

Lag bolt away is my new motto. Only a minor issue. Maybe I will cut a few limbs. Maybe cut down a sapling or ten. I won't put my name on the trail cam for anyone to see including the police in case they have an issue. None of your business. Public property becomes under the control of whoever gets to it first and puts up a trail cam or tree stand and I got here first so deal with it.

I might even put up a blind at lots of public waterholes saying "reserved for the season" since I live local and pay more taxes than some folks so I have more rights. I may even kick over a few trail head signs since I helped pay for them and for fun may toss up a few "No Tresspassing, Private Property" signs.

None of your dang business and if the police don't care or are not looking then you should not either.

How about delete all the pics from said card & the guy will think no game in area & move out, then you can hunt there. heh heh

>WTF???? Outdoors???
>
>So you poach and steal. Man
>what a great citizen you
>are.

I am a much better judge of what a tree or a meadow or a herd needs to be healthy than some over-educated biologist nut lying about lag bolts harming trees or ATVs negatively impacting things. What do those coneheads know? See, outdoor laws are mostly minor laws that should be considered more of a suggestion or rough guideline that we can pick and choose from depending on how coveted the tag is or how big the rack is on the buck. If you burn 6 points to get the tag, then can shoot 6 minutes outside suggested shooting hours. If you burn 10 points you not only get the 6 minutes but can drive for 5 days on closed roads.

-WOW- That is all I can really say......

Is this the single craziest question ever asked on MM??

-Mtngoat

4a959c071fe51431.jpg

outdoors what was it that sent you over the edge? I truley want to know! you can pm me if you'd like, you have a very different point of view.

What the hell is the difference between the average joe and law enforcement. Neither one of them have any business placing their hands on it. If it aint yours leave the sob alone. Like the man said, just because someone leaves their key in their car you sure the hell dont go for a ride.

Outdoors,
Your response proves only one thing about your true character:
You have no respect for the animals you hunt, the land you are privilaged to enjoy, true sportsman, and any other freedom we are privilaged to enjoy. You should not be allowed to carry a weapon or hunt for that matter. There are many OTHER sports in which you should be involved in other than hunting such as under water basket weaving. Your field ethics are pathetic as your post suggests you are. Please re-evaluate yourself and change your way of thinking before you get hit with a felony and end up in a prison.

that's no lie awlb, I got a pretty bad sense of humor sometimes, but man if he's serious im worried!

The hunting regs for Idaho say that a blind/treestand set up on public land is first come first serve and cannot be locked up or reserved.....However, I think you have a better chance of picking up a turd by the clean end than you do touching another mans camera without getting shot!

Troutcrk
"Livin the Dream"

Walking out on a main trail from a day of elk hunting here in western wyoming i found a wallet with $920.00 in it i looked the guy up and called him. He was so excited i called him he offered me a $200 reward. I tried to insist that wasn't needed but he said that was what he want to do for me for being honest and taking the touble to track him down. The guy worked for a school district maintance dept. i doubt he was rich. what would you do i.e., look the guy up and give back the money if you found the wallet and if you were him offer a reward?

Last year the best archery spot/ water hole in my area had trail cam on it and i left the area alone now iam thinking wtf why should someone think they own a public land water hole/good spot because they put a blind or camera on it?

NMPaul looks like that would be a perfect area for your hunter who will experience his last year hunting elk, best of luck to you guys this fall.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com

Quote:It ain't your property, leave it the Hell alone.
Unless you are a Law Enforcement officer, working in that particular forest, the legality of leaving something as harmless as a trailcam in the forest, should be none of your damn business.

You know what it is and why the guy left it. Get over it.

When a specific law is passed, which is sure to happen, then you can act as the law provides.

Until that happens, the laws of common sense and common courtesy should apply.

+ 1

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com

+ 2

well said,
But.............
correct me if i'm wrong.( i'm sure you all will)
Is it not already covered by a utah law?

what about bait stations, as far as i know it in illegal to, mess, disrupt ext, a working bait.

also
i know for a fact it is illegal for someone to disrupt, move, touch, fondle, or steal any trap or set, including lure, trap,, drags, bait. I use a camera on alot of bobcat sets. that is covered by state law in that instance. and you will pay with blood if caught.

so i guess we need MORE laws to keep the REST of the population in check.

I likes the tent example, if you see a tent out in BFE, is it ok to open it up and look inside, ( to see if some hot chick is in there)????

or if my truck is on the side of a road, is it ok for you to go through it?????

also next time you come across a bear hunters dog, why not just take him home? he was on public land without an owner right???

DON"T TOUCH CHIT THAT AIN"T YOURS!

it may get you shot.

>Last year the best archery spot/
>water hole in my area
>had trail cam on it
>and i left the area
>alone now iam thinking wtf
>why should someone think they
>own a public land water
>hole/good spot because they put
>a blind or camera on
>it?

+1. I cant believe that anyone feels a spot is 'theirs' because they put their trail camera on it. I bet the same people that believe this get pissed off when some guys asks a girl out that he saw first. Pa-lease.

Due to a personal experience, and I'm sure this has happened to some of you, this issue is one of my pet peeves. I was hunting in a tree stand over water in the Wsasatch unit several years ago (spike elk) when a guy comes in about 5 p.m (prime time) and asks me why I am hunting in his spot. I ask him what he is talking about and he points to a ten year old fixed wood stand in a nearby tree and says that is his family's stand and that this is his family's spot. I respond (already hot that he even had the nerve to start a conversation during prime time hunting hours) by advising him that this is public land, that I had hunted this spot for the past few days and had seen neither him nor his family, and that I had hunted the spot the previous year and never seen anyone there. He responded that he and his family had been hunting in a different spot the previous year but that they were back and that I needed to give up the spot. I told him to move on. He refused, threatened me, and indicated that I was lucky his dad (this guy was probably in his early twenties) was not around because he would exchange more than words with me. He then proceeded to go sit in his "family's" stand for the remainder of the evening-thus ruining my hunt. Needless to say I was much more tolerant in those days.

The point is that unless you are on private property, no one has "rights" to a spot. This includes guys who hang tree stands prior to the season (which I have done to avoid making racket during the hunt) and guys who hang trail cams or post notices to the rest of the world that they will be there on a specific date. The only approach that works is first come first serve on a day to day basis. Obviously, even this approach can be imperfect and requires courtesy and judgment on the part of the parties involved. But putting personal property (cameras, stands, notes) on a spot does not make it yours. If you think it does, what about the days, weeks, months when you are not hunting. And how is someone supposed to know when you will be there? That said, no one has any business stealing or tinkering with someone else's property even though it is on public land. The courtesy and respect has to run both ways.

Wouldn't this world be a better place if more people were like "ArrowheadWY" - honest and respectful.

Instead we have to deal with people like "outdoors" and "reddog" - selfish, disrepectful, screw everybody else attitudes.

I bought my first trail cam a month ago, set it up 250 miles from home, went back 2 weeks later and the card was gone. Pissed me off (I guess I should be glad "reddog" didn't find it, at least the camera was still intact).

I started hunting 40 years ago and I guarantee you we wouldn't be having this conversation back then, people followed "the golden rule". I wonder if some people now days even know what that means.

I friend of mine stopped to help some people on the side of the road the other day that "appeared" to have a flat tire - they stole his car.

Wonderful world we live in isn't it?

So now if you put up a trail camera, anyone else who comes along has to share or get yer permission to hunt the area? You'd find yer camera in that mud hole if you put a note on my blind. Reminds me of some of these aholes where I used to duck hunt. They put their deeks out the night before and then expected you to hunt somewhere else because they were supposedly there first. A couple years ago after a few weeks of that crap, a bunch of their deeks went mysteriously floating down the river about 4am...

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-09 AT 10:32PM (MST)[p]ya'll gave me a headache...Look at the pics if you must, but put the card back, dont jack with the camera and if you wanna hunt that spot, then hunt that freakin spot cuz its public land. There problem solved. Next question... [font size="22"]

p.s. if your gonna look at the pics, be sure you sneak up from behind. Them cameras are fast little suckers and BAM, before you know it your face will be on MM and you will get ripped another new one by the MM Ethics police. LMAO!!!

[/font]

>So now if you put up
>a trail camera, anyone else
>who comes along has to
>share or get yer permission
>to hunt the area?
>You'd find yer camera in
>that mud hole if you
>put a note on my
>blind. Reminds me of
>some of these aholes where
>I used to duck hunt.
> They put their deeks
>out the night before and
>then expected you to hunt
>somewhere else because they were
>supposedly there first. A
>couple years ago after a
>few weeks of that crap,
>a bunch of their deeks
>went mysteriously floating down the
>river about 4am...

So because I put a handwritten note in the guys blind you would throw my camera in the water.

By the way, the guy did call and left a nice message and I plan to see him tomorrow. I am assuming we will come up with a plan where my friend can sit the water hole and he can as well at different times. Seemed like a decent guy.

Then there are guys like you Triple_BB, that are just vandals and punks. The kind of guys that justify being criminals in their head. We all know the type.

They will break laws and justify it for their own benefit. Wont get down in the Sh!t hole with you dude. I think you pretty much exposed your own character.

If you threw my camera in the mudhole, would not even bother with you. I have to good a life to risk it beating someones a$$ over a ruined camera.

Continue with your pathetic life loser.

I agree with the if its not your don't touch it rule. But I don't agree with the if you find a trail cam or blind in a certain location that you should hunt somewhere else rule. My reasoning is that I have a few spots that I've worked my butt off to find and for the past 5 years I have yet to see anyone hunting in these spots. If by some chance someone else happens to find one of these locations and puts up a blind or TC there am I suppose to give up this location now just because of that TC or Blind? I'm sorry but there's NO WAY in hell I would give up one of these spot because of this. What about the guys like myself that don't use blinds or TCs? If this was the rule how are we suppose to make our territory so to speak? Now come opening morning if another hunter physically gets to one of these spots before I do then yes I would back out and give them some room to hunt but even then I wouldn't consider this their spot now and don't go back in there.

NMPaul said:

"So because I put a handwritten note in the guys blind you would throw my camera in the water"

I think you handled exactly how it should have been handled. Instead of getting in a big heated battled, you resolved the problem and there is a good chance that both of you will be happy with the results.

I find it hard to believe some of the other postings on here.
People threatning to break or mess with others property ("because it is on public land"). What a joke, too many people
are out there justifying and making excuses to break the law.

Looking down the road, in the not too distant future...there are going to be regulations passed regarding trailcams on public land.

My guess is the owners of trailcams are not going to be happy.

These things are creating a huge problem, a lot of controversy and it will need to be addressed.

I can see both sides of the arguement to a certain point. I dont believe in vandalizing property of others, but I also dont believe I should have to leave an area of public land alone because someone has a trail cam up.

MY OPINION is that trail cams should not be allowed to be up within one month of any open season...and I'll be making requests stating the same to G&F commissions in all western states.

>Looking down the road, in the
>not too distant future...there are
>going to be regulations passed
>regarding trailcams on public land.
>
>
>My guess is the owners of
>trailcams are not going to
>be happy.
>
>These things are creating a huge
>problem, a lot of controversy
>and it will need to
>be addressed.
>
>I can see both sides of
>the arguement to a certain
>point. I dont believe in
>vandalizing property of others, but
>I also dont believe I
>should have to leave an
>area of public land alone
>because someone has a trail
>cam up.
>
>MY OPINION is that trail cams
>should not be allowed to
>be up within one month
>of any open season...and I'll
>be making requests stating the
>same to G&F commissions in
>all western states.

Where did anyone say that because a trailcam is up then someone else could not use that part of the forest? That would be lame, and I could not find where anyone posted that.

In my situation I am more than willing to share the waterhole with the guy. And I am more than willing to walk away from it and got to numerous other places I have scouted. That was the purpose of the note with my phone number so he could contact me and he did.

Courtesy is the point I am trying to make. I had already decided if the guy had not contacted me I was going to pick up the camera and go to another place. I know a lot of waterholes, but, this one was perfect for the guy that has terminal cancer. I could get him very close. This will be his first and last elk hunt.
I know. I know, that is not anyone elses problem.

BTW, when I first put up this camera I contacted the landowner that has property about 1/4 of a mile from this hole, because I knew they frequented the area. I asked them if they were okay with it and if they had a problem with it I would not have placed it there. They were fine with it.

Keep in mind, every time someone breaks the law, they justify it in their mind for their own selfish reasons. This includes me when I break the speed limit. And to a more extreme extent it includes every type of crime including vandalism.

Not ethical in my opinion. I have done that to my buddies camera but he sent me to switch cards and I got curious. All he had were cow elk and doe.

I have had a few cameras and I one put a small piece of tape over the card that would easily break if the card was ejected. I put a camera over a water guzzler right on the side of the road. I bet fifty people saw it and nobody touched it. My buddy did the same thing however on another guzzler and got his camera stolen. So I guess it all depends on the who sees your camera.

As for me if I see yours I will wave at the camera and smile until it takes my picture.

Dillon

Why do we need more regulations???? I mean its way easier on animals to be filmed by trail cams rather than truckloads of people scouting a month before season. I really don't see a problem with someone putting up a trailcam. I don't think it makes it their area to hunt, I don't think anyone should lay their grubby mutts on it even to look at the pics. If you want pics bye your own trailcam. I myself don't own one, but just may someday and I would hope that I wouldn't have to worry about some person stealing it. Ya know its sad to read some of these comments and see how people feel about anothers property.
Just my .02
Catman

what about a little privacy? its one thing if its on private land but, maybe some people would like to be able to go for a hike in the hills and not have to worry about gettin they're picture taken for hells sake. i've came across a couple cams and though my concience wouldn't let me touch them it kind of disturbed me to know my ugly mug is on some dudes cam to do with it what ever he wants.

I'd do the same thing I'd do with any other camera I see laying around -thumb through all the pictures then take a close-up photo of my balls. One shouldn't leave their valuables laying around in plain sight on public ground.

there are almost 50 threads on this topic almost every body said leave it alone. i have a hard time believing that if 50 people saw my trail cam out there. that it would still be there when i got back. some of you are just saying what you think every body wants to hear. i for one would have looked at the pictures then put it back.
i probably would have let it take a picture of me so the owner knows it has been seen.

" i for one would
have looked at the pictures
then put it back."

OK I believe you there....

"i probably would have let it
take a picture of me
so the owner knows it
has been seen."

I call BS on this unless you wanted you a$$ kicked...

Just my .02 worth.

A lot of opinions on this, and some valid points on each side.

I just got to thinking today after reading a few new posts, What would you do if you walked into your spot/stand camera location and you caught the a$$ in action messing with your gear.

now he knows he has done wrong and been caught, he will be on the defense so how does this play out?

I think if it were me it would get real ugly real fast, i've been told i have anger issues and i'm off my medication.

my solution so far
no one has ever found one of mine ( that i know of) i have pics of dudes wandering around , scratching balls and leaving,
my cameras are usually low and on an entry trail, not on a tripod in the middle of a waller.

oh well, lets ban them too

live life one mule deer at a time.

I think if some dinks trail cam took my pic in a hunting area he would be down one camera. If you want to know whats out in a area get off your ass and do some scouting. I would rather nobody know the area I want to hunt.....

scrat.jpg

I guess we hunters don't have as much in common as I thought.

Those of you that think it's OK to mess with someone else's stuff, for ANY reason, are seriously messed up.

If I caught you, you would never have another peaceful day.....ever.

I don't own a trailcam.

So, lets see if I'm hearing this right... It's ok to vandalize, open, look at pic's, or steal my trail camera? Does that make it ok to break into your camp trailer, pickup, tent, or anything else you park or leave on PUBLIC land?
Don't mind me if when you get back to your camp I'm in your trailer fixin myself some lunch. Or worse, in the middle of the night I hook up to that trailer and give you and the old lady a joy ride up and down the washboardy mountain roads... don't worry, I'll put it right back where I found it.

IF IT AINT YOURS, DON'T TOUCH IT!!

I now see the wisdom of not touching others property. I will set up five trail cams and set them to flash, 50 feet from your campsite on public property because I think wildlife may pass there. Do not touch my trail cams or mess with them because IT AIN"T YOURS and public property means anyone can do put trail cams where they please.

"I call BS on this unless you wanted you a$$ kicked..."

"Good for one Ass kickin!!"

"If I caught you, you would never have another peaceful day.....ever"

I find it funny how many of you would be willing to go to jail for someone that takes the memory card out of your camera to see the pictures, yet puts the card back immediately. Childish and stupid really.

Personally I would leave the camera alone if I saw one. But doing what I just mentioned isn't the same as coming into my garage and using my shovel without my permision...that is tresspassing. Nor is it the same as coming into someones car parked on the side of the road and looking around...that is breaking and entering.

Seems some camera owners don't mind if one takes a look at the memory card and puts it back.

"Don't mind me if when you get back to your camp I'm in your trailer fixin myself some lunch. Or worse, in the middle of the night I hook up to that trailer and give you and the old lady a joy ride up and down the washboardy mountain roads... don't worry, I'll put it right back where I found it."

Too funny Kevin but oh so true!!:D

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

I sure run in to a lot more baddazzes and tough guys on the internet than on the street. If it's not yours, leave it the phuuck alone! End of story. Stuff has a way of coming back on people. Call it Karma or whatever you want.

I dont care if anyone has a trail camera out and about, I wouldnt even bother with it if I saw it first. Once it takes my pic. I would take the camera or memory card.

scrat.jpg

Common sense, common courtesy and reason need to be applied both ways.

Clearly, there are some seriously spastic retards out there that just don't get it.

THis is simple to me. If you leave something in a public area you are giving up your right to privacy.

>THis is simple to me. If
>you leave something in a
>public area you are giving
>up your right to privacy.
>
..............then that makes you a "simpleton"......welcome to the site!

Ethics is doing the right thing when no one is looking,if you had to ask then you probably know the answer.

I would leave their camera alone, and I would hope people would do the same for my cameras. I put up cameras for more of a curiosity to see what kind of pictures I may get, mostly pictures of grass blowing in the wind.

A camera, stand or a blind does not reserve a waterhole. I use common sense and wont hunt an area where I suspect that someone is already hunting that day. What I don't like is when people sit in your stand. If they want to sit in the area fine but they should bring their own stand. I know I wouldn't feel right using someones equipment without permission, and I don't believe since your property is on public land that it is there for everyone to use. Just my opinion.

If I do go to a spot and someone is there I will wave at them and leave the area because its the polite thing to do. Sometimes we mess each other up while hunting public lands, the best we can do is to be considerate of each other and try to minimize the mess ups.

NICK MAN, I don't beleive this topic has anything to do with intelligence or common sense. When you ride your bike do you lock it? When you leave your car do you lock it? How about your home? Now I hunt on private and public land in 3 different states and wouldn't mess with peoples suff. But you my friend are a simpleton if you think you can leave $hit in the woods and it won't get messed with.

>THis is simple to me. If
>you leave something in a
>public area you are giving
>up your right to privacy.
>

That statement sounds like it come right out of Obamas play book. Realy nice there denverite. Thank God you're in the minority.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Denverite............common sense and intelligence IS exactly what this post is about.

But since you have chosen the negative attitude,you have prooven that you lack both traits.

YOU are the "people" the rest of us get ripped off by.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 07:40AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 07:39?AM (MST)

Nickman, sorry you get ripped off all the time. Maybe you should stop leaving your $hlt in the woods on public land? You think? talk about common sence! If you had a little you would of gotten ripped off once not all the time my friend. All I said is if you left a car running at the store you would expect to get ripped off so why when you leave a camera on public land you don't. Common sence would tell me that you $hlt is going to get F'd with.
?Intelligence is not to make no mistakes, but quickly to see how to make them good.?

How a normal person thinks; well, looky there, a trail cam on this good looking water hole. I guess if i want to hunt this place i had better get here early on the days i want to hunt it and make my presence known so i'll have a good chance to have it to myself.

How a scumbag criminal thinks; well, looky there, someone left something here at my water hole that they must just not want any longer. Being they left it here, i might as well mosey up behind it and take it before someone else does. With this one and the three i got last week, i can probably sell them for enough to pay for my hunting this year.

Anybody that would harm, destroy, disturb, or steal, property that DOES NOT BELONG TO THEM, does not know right from wrong IMO, and this thread proves that these kinda people are out there!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 10:30PM (MST)[p]Denverite......I don't see anything in any of my posts that says I was repeatedly being ripped off, or that I left my stuff laying around.....public land or not. Where did you get that idea?

My point, and that of other mature, law abiding adults on this site was that, if something isn't yours, leave it alone. That's how sane, mature people, view the situation.

By the way, 2 edits on your last post and you still failed spell check....leading me to believe that you are a recent high school dropout, that left home way too early to learn the "Golden Rule".

I give up trying to explain this to you. It's not quantum physics, but YOU clearly are NEVER going to get it.

I hate bike locks. They are stupid and I should not have to use them on a public street. Hey, when you see my $200 bike outside the bar unlocked then LEAVE IT ALONE. IT AIN"T YOURS!!!!!!! Signed, another bad-spelling person who does not deserve to offer an opinion since lack a PhD in English. Please, let the elitists explain to the rest of us how the real world works because if you can not spell you do not deserve a voice among the noble and wise. Thank goodness our Dear Leader in D.C. does not bother to listen to us bad spellers.

Denverite,
It's people that think like you who make locks on cars and homes necessary. Anyone with a decent moral compass doesn't touch that which doesn't belong to them. If everyone had morals and values, locks would be unnecessary.

Well,

I am have learned a lot about the character of a few of you on this site. I am of the opinion that if someone leaves a trail camera on the mountain and I see it, I leave it alone. Just because it is there does not give one the right to break the camera and steal the card.

I just returned from a trip to one of my favorite areas on the Wasatch last night. Upon arrival I found my camera broken, the SD card stolen and all my tree stand steps removed from the tree. This is a neat little spot that I have never seen another hunter during the archery hunt. It seems someone with a mature bull tag decided they wanted to send a message to whomever was hunting that spot. Well, the message has been sent and received. I hope they come back this week.

The sad part is I would gladly have let them use my tree stand and hunt the bulls in that area if they would have left a note with contact info. What a pathetic group of morons. Destruction of property that does not belong to you is wrong no matter how you guy's want to justify it. I feel sorry for you that feel it is okay to vandalize another persons property. Justify it any way you want, it is still wrong.

This weekend I checked a camera where the camera was opened and the chip removed and put back. Also on another camera the hunter and his daughter walked on by it.

There is a HUGE difference between destroying or stealing a camera than just looking at the chip.
I for one would not even touch someone elses camera. The most I might do is make a funny face, just because i know I would get a kick out of someone doing that on my camera.

The guy that took the chip out but put it back (I have pics) does not really bother me. He could have stole it or vandalized it. I am glad he did not at least he had that much class.

I think the vast majority of the hunters leave them be, a few may check the chip, and then there are a few losers that will destroy or steal someone elses stuff. We have seen the posts on this thread already how they justify it to themselves. I can pretty much assure you there are some major flaws in their character.

>Well,
>
>I am have learned a lot
>about the character of a
>few of you on this
>site. I am of
>the opinion that if someone
>leaves a trail camera on
>the mountain and I see
>it, I leave it alone.
> Just because it is
>there does not give one
>the right to break the
>camera and steal the card.
>
>
>I just returned from a trip
>to one of my favorite
>areas on the Wasatch last
>night. Upon arrival I
>found my camera broken, the
>SD card stolen and all
>my tree stand steps removed
>from the tree. This
>is a neat little spot
>that I have never seen
>another hunter during the archery
>hunt. It seems someone
>with a mature bull tag
>decided they wanted to send
>a message to whomever was
>hunting that spot. Well, the
>message has been sent and
>received. I hope they
>come back this week.
>
>The sad part is I would
>gladly have let them use
>my tree stand and hunt
>the bulls in that area
>if they would have left
>a note with contact info.
> What a pathetic group
>of morons. Destruction of
>property that does not belong
>to you is wrong no
>matter how you guy's want
>to justify it. I
>feel sorry for you that
>feel it is okay to
>vandalize another persons property.
>Justify it any way you
>want, it is still wrong.
>

Probably someone who hunts or guides did that damage. May have been someone not thrilled if you are damaging living trees. How would you react if someone put a lag bolt in a tree in your yard? Public land belongs to all of us equally. How would you react if you were answering the call of nature off a hiking trail and a flash went off on a trail camera?

Never said they were lag bolt style. If I were taking a S&%# at an obvious waterhole and saw a flash, I would be very embarrassed that I was that stupid, it would ruin the waterhole hunting for a day or two!

Regardless of any of that, there is no justification for damaging or stealing someones equipment. If the person were damaging trees etc, report it to the forest service. Simple enough.

I understand what you mean, but see no justification in it.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-09 AT 08:23PM (MST)[p]>How a normal person thinks; well,
>looky there, a trail cam
>on this good looking water
>hole. I guess if i
>want to hunt this place
>i had better get here
>early on the days i
>want to hunt it and
>make my presence known so
>i'll have a good chance
>to have it to myself.
>
>
>How a scumbag criminal thinks; well,
>looky there, someone left something
>here at my water hole
>that they must just not
>want any longer. Being they
>left it here, i might
>as well mosey up behind
>it and take it before
>someone else does. With this
>one and the three i
>got last week, i can
>probably sell them for enough
>to pay for my hunting
>this year.
>
>Anybody that would harm, destroy, disturb,
>or steal, property that DOES
>NOT BELONG TO THEM, does
>not know right from wrong
>IMO, and this thread proves
>that these kinda people are
>out there!
>
>Joey

Sums it up pretty well.

Is it really that hard to just leave stuff alone that doesn't belong to you?

Sounds like we need to start putting hidden trail cams on our trail cams. Might help catch a thief or two.

>Don't do drugs and stay in
>school!!!!

hey woodruffhunter well said you clearly are a colin cowherd fan. as am I.

"RE: Ethical or Not"

Generally in life, if you have to ask if something is ethical (or legal, moral,OK to do) it probably isn't.

Sageadvice you stole my thunder a bit. I guess if you are a lowlife and have no respect for others then stealing someone elses property is ok. For those of us that were brought right and have morals then we know what to do.

Just because someone has a trail cam or tree stand does not give them the sole right to that spot. If you want to hunt it then get there early and hunt it just like Joey said. If the guy who owns the trail cam or tree stand shows up and gives you grief about it then do what you have to at that point because you have done the right thing up to that point.

By the way I want to thank ArrowheadWy for being a decent human being. It is nice to hear that there are still truly good people left out there.

JR

I'm sure most of you had heard this more then once growing up
"touch with your eyes and NOT your hands"
You mom wouldn't like some of you today if she knew how you really are with out some-one watching you.

Put a camera to watch a camera is the only way to catch the SOB's.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-09 AT 03:36AM (MST)[p]Damn - you must be one ugly turd to not want anybody to have your picture bad enough to steal the camera. The word thief comes to mind.

Outdoors-you are running out of reasons to back your opinion when you state"How would you like it if someone put a lag bolt through a tree in your yard".That person would be face down in MY yard until the police arrived.Don't mess with MY stuff.Whether it's on public land or in MY yard.Ridiculous.I cannot believe people think the way you do.It's what's wrong with our society.

Public land should not be defiled. Not by lag bolts and steps screwed into living trees that belong to me as much as you. I should not be subjected to loss of privacy because you snap my picture from a trail cam left on public property. You do not have permission to take my picture intentionally or inadvertently. I should be able to expect privacy . You can justify the actions as incidental or common sense. I see this as rude and inconsiderate. Tack on illegal ATV use and efforts to claim honeyholes for exclusive use and becomes harder to accept behavior as noble or what I want younger hunters to obseerve. My 2 cents without the sarcasm.

Sounds like someone is worried about what those camera's might catch him doing.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Most do not screw or lag bolt in their cameras. I never have.

Regarding privacy, I was in CA this last week and at one intersection I counted 16 Cameras. Yep 16.

Outdoors-I do see your point.Defiling public property is a big no-no.I agree with your point.That being said,my property is still mine,regardless of WHERE it is.Simple as that.

I hunted and killed my buck in front of someones trail camera last year. I left it alone but hunted as normal. He probably has photos of me seting up around the area. Great. But I left his property alone.

That is the point. Everyone doesn't have morals or you could leave stuff in the woods and this thread would never have been started. All I am saying is you have to be a moron to leave anything you value in the woods and think its safe. This is black and white to me. I wouldn't take your $30 camera but I know someone would. It doesn't have to be a fellow hunter. Could be kids or whoever else is running around on public land.

One aspect of this issue is, you didn't spend the money or the time to put the camera there. He put it there to do his home work for the season. I call it not fair that you would steal his home work to see if there are deer passing there. Would you have hunted there if there were pictures on the sd card? Then all the work done by the owner would have gone to you. Is that fair to you?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom