euro mount recipe's/instructions

Just did one and it turned out great!

Just go to Sportsman's and get a kit and also get the strong Peroxide (mine is from Van Dykes taxi supplies). When you boil it don't do a real hard boil just kind of a low boil as I have been told a hard boil will push oils into the bone.

Leave the powder peroxide mix on as long as possible (I did 2 and a half days).

There are other recipes on the internet and I am sure you will get some here but this one worked great for me.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

When in Colorado I was told to try using a pressure washer that has a burner. I am not sure what to think about that. I would be worried that you would blow it to pieces. Has anyone tried this?

pressure washer works great on hearty skulls. I use it on elk all the time. Works on deer but you gotta be careful...more fragile skull.

Thanks for the advice and PM's....I gotta an idea of what I'm gonna do now. I'll post pic's and step by step later on...

I even stole the frame mounting idea from somewhere on here...

al

made some skull soup today...it was frikin nasty, I ain't gonna lie!! pic's to be posted when it's all said and done...

al

I add baking soda to the stew. It helps speed up the process rather than just plain water.

I just finished an elk and three deer during Thanksgiving.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-11 AT 07:52PM (MST)[p]Step by step on what I do....

1. cover the antlers with foil so boil wont mess up the color.
2. Start by taking as much meat off the skull as possible.
3. take out all the brain from the skull
4. boil for 4 hrs then go back to work taking as much met off as possible (If you have a high pressure wash system...GREAT)
5. put back in boil if needed.
6. make sure all but the bone remains.

Note: I use Borax laundry detergent to drive away any bugs just incase I left some meat on the skull.

There is many many ways to whiten your skull.

The best way I have found is go to walmart and have them mix a flat paint to your liking of skull color.

7. Paint in coats with a sponge brush
8. Let dry and go over with a wood wax and it comes out great for me
9906euros_038.jpg

8744euros_030.jpg

3791euros_001.jpg

6393euros_023.jpg

9553euros_027.jpg

The way I do my family's, friend's and my euros.

It would be cheaper and easier to just bring them to me, and they will look great, no paint, no grease leaching back out from being boiled in, no meat left in them at all.

1082march_16_080.jpg

6388mounts10_015.jpg

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

Thanks for all the input, I actually found what I though I had lost in the move and it was a EuroMount kit from VanDam that I bought a few years back and use it sparingly on normal horn mounts. I posted the pic's of my euro mount under "did it myself euromount" for anyone who wants to see how it turned out.

Thanks to all for the advice and help, I'm not gonna lie, it was a frikin nasty process!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom