Euro Question

koda

In the process of doing my first European mount. Makes me wonder why I ever made that decision. But I would love to hear the different methods people have for the bleaching process. I have heard many different ideas. But I am looking for the tried and trued easiest way.

Thanks

Go to the local beauty supply, get 40% peroxide, and bleaching agent (powder)...

Mix into a paste, paint on, put the skull in a shopping bag, or trash bag, let it sit for 3 days, hose it off and you're done.

DO NOT USE regular bleach, it breaks down the bone.

Its not rocket science to boil a skull... Just make sure you use plenty of dish soap to degrease, and don't over cook it. I've cleaned a few hundred skulls over the years.

I don't see how you can over cook it. If you boil it for about three hours everything will just fall off. You can use borax as a degreaser but I dont think it is critical if you cook it long enough and clean it with a power washer. I like to use 40 percent peroxide and pour it inside the skull. One day should be enough. Look at some pictures I posted a few days ago under elk euro mounts.

If you boil it long enough it and pressure wash it, it won't be that greasy. However, a little borax from walmart does help. Just add it to the water half way into the cooking. I found that if you boil it about three hours you will break down the grease and it will wash off.
If you want to presrve the sinus tissue you will not want to pressure wash into the nose but rather gently rinse it. Otherwise use a long fish hook pliers to remove the sinus tissue and cartlidge. Most people dont even notice that it is missing. The nose will probably fall off but you can super glue it back together and use a zip tie to pull the snout back tight.
By the way, the hot soapy water at the car wash does a great job of removing any grease. stick the nozzel into the base of the brain and it will flush out everything.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125076.0.html

I do not cut the brain cavity out of my mounts. However, getting the brain out before you start to boil will really cut down on locked in grease, particularly above the eyes. This "air boiling" works awesome. When the skull is mostly clean, I like to put a couple bottles of cheap 2% brown bottle peroxide into CLEAN water and simmer some more. When I had beetles I used to use the degreasing tank, which works, but was a pain and very time consuming. Remember, heat is what makes the peroxide work, not time....

Another tip. If you are going to boil the skull. Don't forget to wrap the antlers to protect them from discoloring. I like syran wrap layer and aluminum foil final wrap.

Thanks everybody. Took some good advice. The skull is cleaned and just about ready to bleach now. Show you pics when I get done.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom