European mount help!

dropper10

I've finished a european elk mount, but still need to bleach a few spots that didnt seem to bleach as white as others. What is the best method to "spot" bleach a couple areas that are a bit yellow in color?

Sportsman warehouse seels bleach kits. Its a white paste( bleach ) you mix togther and wipe all over the scull to make it white. I guess you have all ready tryed house hold bleach and it wont get the yellow out ?

I have used a powder bleach and developer from a hair salon. Works good enough for me. I usually will apply at least 2 coats. And for under $20 the price is right.

----------------
Damn you Scott!
----------------

Dont ever put any kind of bleach on them it will eat the bone. High strength peroxide is the best but dont know how it would do on spots, but works great on the whole thing if you get it on immediately after it is cleaned off.

The previous post is right. Don't use bleach. Use high-strength hydrogen peroxide. 40 or 50 volume available at beauty supply stores. It has a shampoo consistency. I use a cheap sponge brush and "paint" it on the skull. It doesn't take very much and a bottle will last a while. Coat thuroughly and set out in the sun for a day, and walla . . . You can spot apply as well with a cue tip, but, why not do the whole skull? It's not like it can get too white.

Sounds to me like it is grease that is bleeding back through the bone. Did you degrease it before you whitened it?
Elkhuntr

Yes sportsman kit sells for 19.99 .You mix hydrogen peroxide with the powder in the kit to make a paste . I guess the powder may not be bleach ? It does come with instructions.

+1 on the peroxide. I have done about 10 skulls over the past couple of years, between mine and friends and neighbors, and I love using peroxide. I actually buy the bottles from walmart that are only like $1 a bottle and stand the head up in a small plastic bucket, then fill the peroxide to just below the base of the antlers. Then I wrap paper towels around the base of the antlers and lay a folded up paper towel over the top of the skull, which stays constantly wet with peroxide. This way might be harder with an elk skull, but works great with deer skulls. I leave the head in the solution for about 24 hours and they come out perfectly white. I have always wanted to try the salon grade peroxide. I definetly think it would be better for elk.

Actually what I was told that the big boys use who do this professionally is hydrogen peroxide that is 35%.(not the weak stuff we all have in our homes)

I bought a gallon of it years ago someplace in north SLC. I think it was only about $30 bucks. I don't remember the name of the store but they sold live traps and I think their specialty was fish handling equipement (for fish farms) i.e. big nets, pumps etc. But the stuff worked like a charm on the 8-10 skulls I did. One thing I found is you need to do it as soon as you can after killing the animal. A friend had a lion skull he found that was already stripped of meat. Even though there was no meat or anything on it we still boiled it for a 30 minutes and painted the peroxide on and after letting it sit for 30-45 minutes like the others it didn't look much different after we washed it off.

good luck..

I agree with finding the strong stuff instead of the household peroxide. I actually go 3/4 peroxide and quarter water. One mixture is good for 5 or 6 skulls. Ill let the skull soak for about 2-3 days. I've also found that you need to let the skull dry for about a week and a half before putting any kind of coating on it. If you don't the skull can yellow. I don't think you can get any whiter then these turn out

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

Most of the posters have had good information. One guy suggested that the yellowing may be caused by grease leaching back out of the bone. This is correct. The skull needs to be completely de-greased prior to bleaching, or it will continue to yellow.

Use Sal soda, available from Vandykes Taxidermy supply or others. It is sometimes called washing soda. Boil the skull in water and Sal Soda to degrease it completely. Be careful to not over boil the skull, the smaller bones and teeth will come apart and fall out of the skull if over boiled.

After degreasing, make a paste from 40 to 50 volume peroxide, available from the beauty supply store, and magnesium carbonate, also available from taxidermy supply businesses. I believe that the kits sold at Sportsman's Warehouse contain these two items.

Wear gloves for this step, the peroxide and chemicals will burn your skin. Put the paste on the skull with a cheap brush, bag the skull in a garbage bag, and place in the garage for a day. After waiting a day or two, thoroughly rinse the skull and place in the direct sunlight for several days. This will result in a nice white skull with professional results.

+ 1 on smokepole, that is how I do it. I will even leave the paste on a little longer and place it in the sun with the bag. Then wash off with the hose.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom